Sandcrawler

blakeh1

Sr Member
Does anyone know what the length (from top rear to top front) and width (at the widest "boxy" center middle) is?

I am hoping to tackle scratch building a 1/72 version and hoping to extrapolate dimensions based on the side view in sculpting a galaxy

sandcrawler-archive-excerpt-scupting-a-galaxy-page-76-77-x1600.jpg

I have tons of ref photos people have been kind enough to post in various places from those travelling exhibits like these
http://www.modelermagic.com/?p=6864

However, I haven't found any that show an overhead shot straight down. The one here is the best I have seen, but it's kind of low res and doesn't magnify very well
sandcrawler-archive-excerpt-star-wars-chronicles-page-62-x800.jpg

Supposedly the "real world" size is 40 m

Based on that I calculated a 1/72 scale would be about 21.8723 in long (55.56 cm)

How does that compare with the length of a studio scale model?

Love the sandcrawler and wish there were some decent kits. Do a little research to find out what those engines are on the rear, thst might give you a reference.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

The engines on the rear I believe are from the Harrier and the round exhaust like things on top I believe are Revell Saturn Vs and some disc brakes from some bike kits?

At any rate I don't have any of those kits to measure the parts

I do know the same Harrier?(or was it some other jet) are used on the bottom of the AT-AT. I could maybe try going of the piece on the Revell AT-AT as that is 1/72 and the studio model I believe was around 1/48

I was thinking exactly that, I don't have 1/24 scale harrier but I found this scan
IMG_7032.JPG
You should be able to extrapolate the rear width, remembering that the front may have a different width due to the shape

I cannot remember who posted these here, please let us know if you don't want them posted here
IMG_4952.JPGIMG_4953.JPGIMG_4950.JPGIMG_4961.JPGIMG_4959.JPGIMG_4954.JPGIMG_4951.JPGIMG_4956.JPGIMG_4949.JPGIMG_4962.JPG

- - - Updated - - -

IMG_4955.JPGIMG_2697.JPGIMG_1778.JPGIMG_4947.JPGIMG_4957.JPGIMG_4958.JPG
I'm nearly certain someone has a map here, let me search

It's kind of surprising that there isn't a decent direct front, or rear shot of this beast, considering the side profile is just about perfect. All of the front and rear pics I have seen are taken at an angle, and it would be very difficult to get the perfect profile of this from those shots. The angles of this model are what define it. Building this model and having those angles slightly off will make it appear odd.

TazMan2000

Last edited:
OT: Had my basement flooded twice ... not the coolest experience in the world ... well could always have been worse ... like a Justin Bieber concert .. eek

Back to crawling in the sand :D
blakeh1 - I'll make you a pic with some basic measurements of the Hovercraft part tonight

Last edited by a moderator:
Awesome

Also I remember the thread for ckwanwoo's build here on the rpf. I had actually just looked at it the other day, but all the pics were not showing. They are still on the blog which is nice

As tazman2000 said, the angles of everything is really going to be the hard part

I just checked out studioscalemodelers.com and they have lots and lots of photos of the studio scale model. Including direct front and rear shots.

TazMan2000

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back