My The Mask outfit (Jim Carrey)

Here's the final pull and paint job.

The test pull had shadows painted on, which I opted not to include in the final edition. The fake shadows will look great when it's on display, but for actual use I'd much rather have the shadows made by the bumps and features of the face.

The color is also lighter, which I was a little skeptical about at first, but I really think it looks more screen accurate this way. Plus, the lighter green will hopefully go better with the pale yellow of the hat and suit.

2014-11-25 right daylight.jpg

I have to admit, this is pretty awesome. Especially the fact that no one really chooses this character. I really like the idea. :)

Thanks! Yeah, tell me about it. I've been working on this sporadically for 4 years now. There was absolutely no pieces that could be bought anywhere. At least now I've made it easier for future Maskers to put together an ensemble, since (because of me :cool) Magnoli now sells the tie, suit and shirt. Still no good teeth or mask unless you custom order, but that's probably just for the more dedicated freaks like me. :D

And now for something completely different. I got teeth!

Teeth cropped.jpg

The mask has arrived! I was trying to get a picture, but the odds were stacked against me. It's my first experience with these, I was pressed for time, the lighting sucked and so did the camera, and I was struggling with long hair and a massive beard.

What I'm trying to say is, this picture doesn't do the mask justice. I'll try to take a better one at some point, but it's probably not going to be this year.

IMAG2193.jpg

oh my gosh that is just so cool!!! did you put your beard under that thing?? lol

Thanks! Yup, I've got the entire beard, as seen in the other pic, under there. :D I guess I'm not quite ready to part with it yet.

hell, bad lighting, bad camera, and that mask still looks awesome!! (gets up and applauds).

Thanks! I haven't even seen it up against the hat or suit yet. When will this Christmas end so I can get some time on my hands?! :lol

Great costume and awesome dedication to the accuracy. I always thought it would be a fun character to do, but I'm a little too girthful to pull it off. I might have to get one of the ties just to add to my formal attire. I can't wait to see the whole thing put together! :cool:thumbsup
(a balloon tommy gun would put it over the top :D )

Great costume and awesome dedication to the accuracy. I always thought it would be a fun character to do, but I'm a little too girthful to pull it off. I might have to get one of the ties just to add to my formal attire. I can't wait to see the whole thing put together! :cool:thumbsup
(a balloon tommy gun would put it over the top :D )
Thanks! Yeah, I think any of the helpful people actually creating my stuff can testify to me being a bit of a stickler...!

I'm not exactly slim myself, nor very tall. But it's just one of my favourite characters ever, so I had to give it a go.

The tie has come out great, and it works for almost any occasion! :D

Alright, got a little time to myself today. The mission; to get my head measured while wearing the mask so I can get the hat adjusted. As you can see here, it doesn't even fit on the mask sitting on the bust, which is 4 cm ≈ 1.6 inches smaller than mine.

IMAG2221.jpg

So on with the mask again. This time I had some stockings ready for my hair and beard. MAN that made a difference. So much easier to get on now, and no pain getting it off!

IMAG2241.jpg

Turns out the mask adds 9 cm ≈ 3.5 inches to my hat size. Wow...

Anyway, since I had the thing out, and a little extra time, I wanted to see how the color was together with the suit. So here it is on the shoulder-less head form:

DSC00922.JPG DSC00919.JPG

I think it looks pretty good. But I think for my v2 of the suit I won't be as afraid to go a little darker yellow as I was with this. The hat looks deeper yellow than the suit, especially on pics. It should be the other way around, and I think the mask can take it.

Well, this mask actually concludes my 4 or 5 year long process. I now finally have a complete (almost) working outfit! So, on to phase 2; the fine-tuning. Here's some of what I'll be looking at. And for much of it I could really use some help.

Re-blocking the hat
The hat doesn't fit because of the mask. At all. The size is too small and the dimensions af off because of my size. That's probably my number one issue right now.

Bigger teeth
With the mask on my new teeth actually look normal size, so I'll have to have some bigger ones made.

Better suit fabric
What I have now is just quilting fabric. Kona cotton. It was the closes I could get in color. I think it actually needs to be wool. Can anyone confirm? Or have input on it? And yes, next time it will be a little darker, I think.

jacket_sleeve_seam.png jacket_collar_back.png

Better details on the suit and shirt
There are some details on the suit and shirt I'm not happy with, so I'll compile a new set of details and let Magnoli work his magic.

New shoes
What I have now is the best I could find locally. The problem I have is, that they need to have a cuban heel, but at the same time they have that plateau thing (don't know what it's called, but it's where the sole of the shoe is larger than the shoe, so it sticks out, you know). I can't seem to find any shoes that have both. Can anyone spot anything on the shoes? Or know where I can get a pair with both details?

shoes3.png shoes2.png

Correct suspenders
I'm actually very happy with the suspenders I have now. I was lucky to find them. Buuuut, if anyone should happen upon a some screen accurate ones, please let me know.

If you have any comments or anything, please let me know. Oh, and do you have a Mask suit? Show me!
agliarept, you mentioned you had a custom hat, do you have more? I'd love to see it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I actually made a set of "Mask" teeth one year from some hot water melt mouth guards. They are very moldable after a dip in hot water so I just put them in and took a dull knife and blocked out where I wanted the teeth. used some acrylic paint on them. They looked pretty good.

I actually made a set of "Mask" teeth one year from some hot water melt mouth guards. They are very moldable after a dip in hot water so I just put them in and took a dull knife and blocked out where I wanted the teeth. used some acrylic paint on them. They looked pretty good.

Nice. I started out with fitting beads for fake teeth. When put in boiling water it becomes extremely pliable. It worked out alright, but I just wanted something better than what my poor skills could craft.

Hi I just want to say I have been looking for ages trying to find a well fitted version of this suit as I want to wear it for prom but can’t find one anywhere they all look so cheap anyway yours looks great.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back