Vintage Early (No Patent) Folmer Graflex - ANH Hero FX Conversion

NickCline

Just want to show off and give a big thanks to Scottjua of Crucible Custom Props and NerfWorXLab for the job he did on a early Folmer Graflex I picked up off of eBay a few months ago.

I meet Scott in person at Celebration 2017, and it was awesome to just talk Star Wars props, amongst other things.

Like everyone that I've dealt with from the Nerf crew, Scott is super friendly, down to earth and willing to answer any dumb question I ask.

I went back and forth between on which Graflex version I wanted to go with. Scott educated me on the differences, and once I settled on the original (A New Hope), I realized the patented 3-Cell I had bought late last year wasn't going to appease my OCD for accuracy, since the ANH is more than likely an early Folmer.

Long story short, after a ton of browsing on eBay and consulting with Scott on making sure I finally got the correct flash with a sharp beveled eye that is seen in ANH, as well as a real bubble strip from an Exactra 20 calculator, I listed my patiented Graflex that I had already sent to Scott. Once it had sold on eBay, he took time out of all of the things he has going on and shipped it to the winning bidder. He truly went above and beyond in every respect and kept me updated on his progress.

After seeing a machined core he did for another client, I knew I wanted to go that route but with brass instead of aluminum. This is what he came up with, and I couldn't be happier:

Video: https://youtu.be/PaW88rweDuc

Last edited:
Re: Vintage Early (No Patent) Folmer Graflex ANH FX Conversion

Hello there I'm just curious did you happen to replace the red button on the back of it because folmers graflex red buttons look like this in the photo of attached to this response. You'll see in the first photo you will see the design for folmers red button and then an image of the normal red button that people are used to. The only reason I'm asking if you changed it sir is because if you didn't then it is not my friend a true early folmer graflex. But if you did change it and it is a true original than that my friend is a beauty congratulations on your build.
256493d3561e7486e3d679dc4eb3d7fd.jpg
3a419494b6111f53480be8b2768513b2.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Hello there I'm just curious did you happen to replace the red button on the back of it because folmers graflex red buttons look like this in the photo of attached to this response. You'll see in the first photo you will see the design for folmers red button and then an image of the normal red button that people are used to. The only reason I'm asking if you changed it sir is because if you didn't then it is not my friend a true early folmer graflex. But if you did change it and it is a true original than that my friend is a beauty congratulations on your build.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170619/256493d3561e7486e3d679dc4eb3d7fd.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170619/3a419494b6111f53480be8b2768513b2.jpg

Yes, Scott took the button from the patented flash I owned previously and swapped them before listing it on eBay. The knurling on the original prop was longer, and I wanted it to be as accurate to the original as possible. Here's a picture of my Folmer before I sent it to Scott. You'll notice the short knurling:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NickCline once again like I've said this is a beautiful build brother man. But originally like I was saying I was just looking out for a fellow member and with how shady people are nowadays you never know if you were giving factual information.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have an odd question, and bear in mind I know very little about you sabre dudes and your crazy culture so don't take offense. But if you have taken this prop to a point where you have added the fictional crystal drive, it is therefore intended to be a fantasy piece really, and not a movie prop reproduction. Then why do you leave "graflex" on it ?

Is that crazy to ask ?

I have an odd question, and bear in mind I know very little about you sabre dudes and your crazy culture so don't take offense. But if you have taken this prop to a point where you have added the fictional crystal drive, it is therefore intended to be a fantasy piece really, and not a movie prop reproduction. Then why do you leave "graflex" on it ?

Is that crazy to ask ?

It's the best of both worlds. The goal is to get as screen accurate as possible outwardly, with added bonuses of being able to totally dork out at home when no one is watching.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back