Camera flash reflective tape lightsaber!

thd9791

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Finally did it! I essentially needed a thick tall cylinder to act as a spacer.... being a cheap skate I found a John Deere tractor bushing for seven bucks. Turns out I can't drill through it...being hardened steel and all... so I had to
1) hammer a thinner tube into the bottom of the 3/4 ID pvc pipe. (7/8 OD) The tractor bushing was only clear halfway down. After that it reduced to a star shape, I can only assume for a gear and super glued that in. That was just for security, had to pound that sucker in.

2) JB Weld the bushing into the saber. Canons are 1-3/8 inside and again...my drill bits bounced right off that tractor part! No set screws here...

3) apply two long strips of Reflexite - the infamous retro reflective tape; no surface prep needed.

Find a thumbscrew for this heavy cast shroud. If anyone remembers I got this from adamata cracked and neither of us know where it came from.

IT WORKED, even without a cap on the tip of the PVC pipe. The JB weld is holding for now, doesn't feel like it's going anywhere soon

also pictured: silentZ94

Attachments

• IMG_0323.JPG
    IMG_0323.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 1,068
  • IMG_0324.JPG
    IMG_0324.JPG
    566.9 KB · Views: 1,046
  • IMG_0325.JPG
    IMG_0325.JPG
    579.6 KB · Views: 630
  • IMG_0326.JPG
    IMG_0326.JPG
    943.1 KB · Views: 769
  • IMG_0327.JPG
    IMG_0327.JPG
    467.4 KB · Views: 669
  • IMG_0328.JPG
    IMG_0328.JPG
    936.5 KB · Views: 1,006
Last edited by a moderator:
Indeed ... very impressive Tom :)

The props-guy who came up with this idea back in 1976 was rather clever :wacko

Chaïm

I knew I had a couple of videos like this favourited. The first is a bit long, but it shows the tape unlit, the second has more movement (but the music is annoying).
I can see a big bonus being (as the guy in the first video says) you don't need power, and anyone who takes your photo using a flash will get the effect.

And for fun, this is from 1976, original in-camera testing of the effect:

We're fortunate that modern camera phones have super-bright flash LEDs that can produce this effect

Last edited by a moderator:
That guy is James Kenobi. :D
Why did I not make the connection? :facepalm
Must be because I favourited that video ages back. Let's blame that :D (That, and I'm terrible with names)
The original test footage is new to me tho, looks like they were considering/trying out actual swords at one point? And yellow blades?

In James Kenobi's thread on his costuming saber he has a link. I've always wanted to have a Luke ROTJ Yuma / hero with an aluminum rod covered in this bolted in :)

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back