ROGUE ONE Jyn Erso - open build thread!

Now that I'm home, here's the experiment.
dice bag.jpg

Last edited:
That little Jyn is amazing!

i like that bag! I'm thinking of moving into embroidery for the stripes over puff paint so it'll last longer and I can wear it for everyday if I want to

I've started fixing the bits that need to be altered to be accepted into The Rebel Legion, and I've finished the collar on the vest to accommodate the sharper angle and I've also made it shorter (I originally had it at about 1.5", but I've decreased the height of the collar to 1").

I've also started considering redyeing the pants and shirt, but I think I need your help. Here are the current colors, uncorrected, for my basic Jyn Erso costume:
View attachment DSC_0209.jpg

I was told by my judge that I should consider redyeing the shirt and pants, but it's not required. I think I can just overdye since the colors will be similar, just darker, but I'm not sure how to prevent the suede rectangular patches from being dyed on the pants. I found RIT dye color formulas and I think this is what I came up with: (CS = current shirt color; S = shirt color I'm considering; P = pants color I'm considering, though a mix between the two I circled).
dyesforshirtpants.JPG

I truly appreciate any insight you might have! Thank you.

I also started looking at dyes for the jacket, and while I ordered a bunch of twill swatches from Fabric.com, none of them really spoke to me. I considered buying drill from Joann Fabrics, which is unbleached, natural. Using the pantone samples verdaera suggested, I thought I'd try these colors, highlighted:
dyesforjacket.JPG

I particularly like the pantone swatch color 5545, so I thought I'd run with that first.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think a watered down black will do well for the pants! You can always build it up, or wash it until some color fades.

For the shirt, I don't think the color is bad, maybe light if anything. What I ended up using on mine was dye from Dharma Trading. I can't give you the exact formula because I kept having to tweak it as I went, but it ended up being a charcoal gray (kind of a purple cast to it), a touch of periwinkle and a light blue.

Guessing the “correct” color of the various Erso garments is an interesting and frustrating effort. I understand why some of the“regulatory” groups want to establish “standards” and look for those who are seeking certification into the groups to adhere to those guidelines. But there is a reason that the standard for the“color” of the essentially “colorless” diamond is graded in isolation against a known white background under a light of a specific “temperature” to ensure repeatable results.

Many people have mentioned how lighting, filters and post-processing all have effect upon the garments. There are several items which also affect our perception of a color but not the color itself. These include simultaneous contrast, colors of any backgrounds, and spectrum of reflected light. Since many individuals were “marching for science” this weekend, I thought I would add some confusion to the color discussion by adding some science of human visual physiology into the mix.

The basics of the underlying concepts are given in the following website. I find this type of information interesting in and of itself but it also helps me rationalize my own decisions if not defend them. Those who are interested may want to look at;

http://www.webexhibits.org/colorart/contrast.html

http://www.color-theory-phenomena.nl/11.03.htm

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Checker_shadow_illusion

To the best of my knowledge no one has examined Jyn's individual garments in isolation. We always see them in immediate relationship to something else, most often the other garments. There are a few examples of the shirt alone (against skin-tone), but the vest is always shown over the shirt or over the shirt and jacket, and the jacket is always shown over the shirt and under the vest. This provides us the relationship of Vest on Jacket on Shirt or Brown on Green on Gray.

Since one the most recent discussions has been the color of the jacket I thought I would add my thoughts. When the Brown Vest (which is a mix of Red-Black-Yellow, or a shade of Orange) is in simultaneous contrast with a Green Jacket, the eye will perceive the Brown to“induce” more the opposite of Green, that is Red, into the Brown making it appear a warmer hue of Brown. At the same time and the Green will “induce” the opposite of Orange, that is Blue into the Green making it appear a cooler Blue-Green. Since both colors are on Gray background, which tends to absorb the full spectrum of colored light, this will tend to darken or “tone” down both colors. Making both the Brown and Blue-Green appear darker.

Adding too much Blue to the Jacket may cause you to “overshoot” the hue you are looking for.

The effect of background may also be evident in the shirt color as when it is shown just against Felicity's light Peach skin-tone. In this situation the shirt can appear as a darker shade of Gray which has shifted toward Blue.

Picking a shirt fabric which looks correct in the fabric store may become too Blue and too dark when placed in combination with the other garments.

I finally finished the baton, so here it is:
IMG_3280.JPG

IMG_3278.JPG

It's the Traywick Designs 3D print, with the extension made from the middle two sections of a toy lightsaber's blade, trimmed to fit and covered in metal repair tape. I screwed/glued a piece of a wood dowel to the knob end, then glued the extension over the top. If you do this, first assemble the blade pieces, then put them through the lower black section, BEFORE attaching the knob, otherwise it won't work. ;)

IMG_3271.JPG

I still need to weather it, but I think I'll wait and do the baton and the blaster at the same time.

If you want to make the stripes puff up with embroidery don't use puff paint. You need to use puffy foam. Let me know if you have questions. I use puffy foam all the time.

I think a watered down black will do well for the pants! You can always build it up, or wash it until some color fades.

For the shirt, I don't think the color is bad, maybe light if anything. What I ended up using on mine was dye from Dharma Trading. I can't give you the exact formula because I kept having to tweak it as I went, but it ended up being a charcoal gray (kind of a purple cast to it), a touch of periwinkle and a light blue.

Thank you for your suggestions! I have fabric scraps left for the shirt and pants, so once the dye comes in I'll play around with different formulas. I'm so nervous!

I agree with smithjohnj in that colors have been quite a battle on this costume. Seeing individual pieces not in relation with other pieces would be incredibly helpful.

Although I tried my hand at dyeing the nylon webbing for Jyn's vest (with success after 5 tries!) and thinking I knew exactly what I was doing, turns out I have no idea what I am doing. I spent 6 hours trying to figure out how to dilute a dye bath bucket the other night only to find out the dye color formulas I chose were based on LIQUID dyes, and not the powders (WOW, JESS), which I had purchased. If I'd only read the instructions I would have realized this, but I can't be bothered with instructions when I'm nervous and excited, apparently.

In any case, my dye was super concentrated and even after keeping fabrics in the bath for only 10 minutes all of my samples were coming out basically black. I did have some success toward the end after diluting the dye with Jyn's shirt, which I managed to darken slightly (the fabric on the right in my toaster photo below). Since I originally did not plan on dyeing the shirt fabric I also did not think about the type of thread I was using, which was polyester and is clearly the same color as the original, lighter fabric. Arrghgh. I don't think this will matter much in the end since I'm planning on making another Jyn shirt in the future - I just want this to be right for my RL application, which is due before May 5th.

20170429_201330.jpg

I also dyed the pants darker, with success! But they are still drying, so I'm waiting to compare the blouse and pants colors; I'm wondering whether I should dye the shirt a little darker but we'll see.

I really just wanted to tell you all my dyeing woes since it's been so quiet in our thread lately. :) I hope everyone is having better luck than I am!

Just a heads up, Cebe wasn't the only company that made those goggles. I found vintage Loubsol brand goggles that are the same as well as these 1960's Japanese goggles that I bought on Ebay-

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    176.4 KB · Views: 131
Last edited:
Just a heads up, Cebe wasn't the only company that made those goggles. I found vintage Loubsol brand goggles that are the same as well as these 1960's Japanese goggles that I bought on Ebay-

I was actually just going to post this too! Here are my Loubsols.
Screen Shot 2017-05-04 at 12.22.52 AM.png
I believe the bottom of the frames may be different, and the bridge may be closer on the Cebes, but they seem to be perfect otherwise.
TheMechanic - you may want to color those snaps silver though! (Mine already came silver.)

Cool, I will. The Japanese goggles I got are made by Tavas and they appear to be dead on. I also think Jyn's goggles were painted silver. In pics of them on display they13754381_1273316442692684_710856103436420055_n.jpg look silvery don't they?

- - - Updated - - -

IMG_3979-e1480975206304.jpg

I'll have to figure out that leather side piece that attaches to the elastic.

Speaking of Jyn's Eadu costume, does anybody know how screen-accurate the ANOVOS concho is? I haven't done much research on it, but it's on sale today!

I just bought one of these Soviet Afghanistan hats on Ebay from a seller in Ukraine. I figure I might be able to mod it/quilt the top of it and have a reasonably accurate Eadu cap.s-l1600.jpg

Last edited:
how screen-accurate the ANOVOS concho is?

I am only going by the two ANOVOS photos but some of my observations are;

The ANOVOS back is made from 4 piece of material with 3 seams vs. only a single back seam.
It is not clear if there is the trapezoidal piece at the top of the ANOVOS center back seam (under the hood)
The ANOVOS back bottom hem is appropriately wide, but the side hems are too wide making the mitered corners incorrect. I have not seen evidence of miter corners where the bottom meets the sides.
In images of the screen version I believe at the neckline there is the hood element, a standup collar and a third piece of material which covers the shoulder seams and it is this piece which is sewn to the concho front. ANOVOS has produced this third element a separate pocket on the right and a separate greeblie "window" on the left..
The ANOVOS right-side front pocket has incorporated a "pencil pocket". I am not sure it that is accurate or not as the bandolier usually covers that section of the concho. The pencil pocket is an element of the jacket and it seems strange to replicate the exact same design element on this garment but i have no evidence to refute it.
ANOVOS has the smaller left greeblie on the collar piece versus on the inside surface of the front hood flap.
The ANVOS Hood front flaps have snaps. I did not find evidence of them in the images, but the snaps make the concho hood more practical.
The two greeblies look reasonably like the images.
The front stitching along the right front opening, waistband, and stitching below the waistband all looks reasonable.

smithjohnj As usual your attention to detail is incredibly helpful. Thank you so much!

After considering your observations, I decided to purchase the ANOVOS concho yesterday with the intention of improving upon it. The only seams I'm worried about are the back seams that you mentioned, but I think parts of the hood can be fixed. I also saw that the fabric ANOVOS uses is not waterproof, but I think waxing the fabric will weather it slightly and give it the right look. Adding some fabric paint to weather it will be necessary also.

I also found this hat, a German M43 Field Cap that I bought in black: https://www.varusteleka.com/en/product/mil-tec-moleskin-field-cap-black/23710
It appears to be a lot like the hat TheMechanic found except the ear flaps cross over the bill instead of the top of the hat. These ship from Finland and are extremely reasonably priced. I also plan to weather/lighten and wax the hat.

Now I just have to find these goggles for a reasonable price...><

I was NOT expecting to make Jyn's Eadu costume! Agghghh. What am I getting myself into? Thanks erinnn :p

Yes! It's on my watch list, but I'm waiting to bid when things get closer to the deadline. Thank you!

Edit: Darn, somebody bid early and they were immediately sold to that bidder. I was hoping to have at least a bid war :(
By the way, I've been collecting Eadu information and a friend of mine is interested in 3-D printing a lot of the Eadu greeblies, but we're getting the details down before he'll sell. Just FYI, it's in the works.

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back