The Correct D Ring for A New Hope Vader?

Blockers

I've recently acquired (on eBay) a vintage MPP micro flash (with silver side bars!).
It's already got the T tracks and bubble strip, but not the D ring. I was wondering if anyone knew the correct D ring size/shape etc?

Please Blockers ... do post some pictures of your vintage MPP ... I'm always curious to see it and add your pictures to my extensive research archive :)

Chaim

Please Blockers ... do post some pictures of your vintage MPP ... I'm always curious to see it and add your pictures to my extensive research archive :)

Chaim

Here's a few pictures for you!

image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

I have a D ring currently in the post (hopefully arriving today). The bubble strip has been cut a bit short either end, and as you can see in the photo, it has a few cracks in it, so I will be looking at replacing this at some point in the near future, but it will do for now. Not sure whether the bubbles are real or not though!

Thanks ... I have to say ... though it's a beautiful MPP and Vader lightsaber ... I have some reservations about it's origin truly being a vintage flashgun ... there are certain tells that scream replica to me . . . perhaps others can chime in and share their valid opinions before jumping to such conclusions?

Chaim

Thanks ... I have to say ... though it's a beautiful MPP and Vader lightsaber ... I have some reservations about it's origin truly being a vintage flashgun ... there are certain tells that scream replica to me . . . perhaps others can chime in and share their valid opinions before jumping to such conclusions?

Chaim

I feel exactly the same way, it was listed on eBay as an original Heiland Syncronar (obviously it's an mpp and not Heiland) and in the pictures it did look genuine. On closer inspection it looks more like a replica, but at the price I got it for, I'm not going to complain! What to you makes it look like a replica, just out of interested?

First that the D-ring was missing was an early sign that it could be a Parks from some time ago ... which came without D-rings in the shroud for you to sort out. Second the plastic sleeve underneath the clamp which doesn't protrude a little as the genuine MPP sleeve does. Your endcap doesn't have the 3 embossed rings in the black part as is true to a genuine MPP. Also the shape of the shroud and the thicker shroud edge says Parks all over to me too. Here's a newer version of the last Parks replica before his 2.0 variant : http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=241337 aside from the silver sidebars you can compare and see the resemblance quite easily ... the only thing that's different between my Parks silver sidebar replica clamp and yours is the shape of the lever ... yours looks like a modern variant. I hope that helps :)

Chaim

Chaim

Chaim, I know I sent you pics of my MPP, just curious how many units you've catalogued over the years. You must have the ultimate archive of MPP's in our community.

First that the D-ring was missing was an early sign that it could be a Parks from some time ago ... which came without D-rings in the shroud for you to sort out. Second the plastic sleeve underneath the clamp which doesn't protrude a little as the genuine MPP sleeve does. Your endcap doesn't have the 3 embossed rings in the black part as is true to a genuine MPP. Also the shape of the shroud and the thicker shroud edge says Parks all over to me too. Here's a newer version of the last Parks replica before his 2.0 variant : http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=241337 aside from the silver sidebars you can compare and see the resemblance quite easily ... the only thing that's different between my Parks silver sidebar replica clamp and yours is the shape of the lever ... yours looks like a modern variant. I hope that helps :)

Chaim

That helps a lot thanks Sym-Cha! It's a good enough replica for me, I'm only using it as a display piece, and it's nice to look out. But I shall still be on the look out for a genuine MPP in the future ;)

Your endcap doesn't have the 3 embossed rings in the black part as is true to a genuine MPP.

But I thought that the smooth black insert on the endcap was a variant that was also genuine - that's what parfaitelumiere seems to have indicated in the photo in the first post of his thread here: http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=248078&p=3778126&viewfull=1#post3778126

Both of the MPPs that I own have the smooth black insert, and both were represented as being genuine :unsure

Looks like a parks replica to me as well. Post some close ups of the sync holes and markings to be sure.

Chaim, I know I sent you pics of my MPP, just curious how many units you've catalogued over the years. You must have the ultimate archive of MPP's in our community.

Hm, but I'm horrible at keeping my Archives neat and tidy + some external harddrives are out of order at the moment to retrieve those picture files ... luckily thanks to parfaitelumiere who made the ultimate thread ... with lots of pictures we can all enjoy them :) And that brings me to that particular endcap without the engraved rings ... if you have the two-step shroud than your MPP's might still be genuine D48thRonin ;)

MPPx6_zpsiltlwgrf.jpg

Are these MPP's pictured above yours Panaflex ?

Chaim

Attachments

• MPPx6_zpsiltlwgrf.jpg
    MPPx6_zpsiltlwgrf.jpg
    310.1 KB · Views: 145
  • MPPx6_zpsiltlwgrf.jpg
    MPPx6_zpsiltlwgrf.jpg
    310.1 KB · Views: 149
  • MPPx6_zpsiltlwgrf.jpg
    MPPx6_zpsiltlwgrf.jpg
  • MPPx6_zpsiltlwgrf.jpg
    MPPx6_zpsiltlwgrf.jpg
    310.1 KB · Views: 139
  • MPPx6_zpsiltlwgrf.jpg
    MPPx6_zpsiltlwgrf.jpg
Last edited by a moderator:
Hm, but I'm horrible at keeping my Archives neat and tidy + some external harddrives are out of order at the moment to retrieve those picture files ... luckily thanks to parfaitelumiere who made the ultimate thread ... with lots of pictures we can all enjoy them :) And that brings me to that particular endcap without the engraved rings ... if you have the two-step shroud than your MPP's might still be genuine @D48thRonin ;)

http://i833.photobucket.com/albums/zz258/Sym-Cha/MPPx6_zpsiltlwgrf.jpg

Are these MPP's pictured above yours @Panaflex ?

Chaim

Amazing photo Chaim!
I wish these were all mine. I have one black side bar, 2 step vintage flash that I put one of Roy's shrouds on.
The photos I sent were pretty detailed with all the engraved numbers etc.

Ever since Parks pulled the MPP to most likely be replaced by the MPP 2.0, these have become highly desired. If you got a good deal I think it was a great purchase.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back