Warrior Hawkgirl - Articulating Wings + Armor

No, Be Hawk Girl! If you don't get the job hit them with your mace!

Haha, if only! "Pick me! Look how awesome I am!" Though it might hide my awkwardness. Hmm.

So, a light update for the evening. Painted a few more details on the breastplate. I didn't like the yellow at first, but I think the green helped to ground it a little bit.

image.jpg

I also also painted the helmet with some more of the hammered chestnut, but it's a bit too cold and wet outside; it came out real splotchy and rough, so I'll redo that later this week if it warms up.

Holy Freaking Awesomeness! I hope to be 1/2 as good at this as you are one day. Simply beautiful!

This is fantastic! Cannot WAIT to see the completed product!

Haha, thank you both for the comments! I can't wait to wear what I've got finished. I think I might strap everything on for a try this weekend :D

Oh, and for diffusing the leds, try wax paper, that's what some of us who made tesseracts used, and it works quite well.

And that is an excellent idea! Cheap too. Is it best to tightly crumple the wax paper, or leave it looser?

Haha, thank you both for the comments! I can't wait to wear what I've got finished. I think I might strap everything on for a try this weekend :D

And that is an excellent idea! Cheap too. Is it best to tightly crumple the wax paper, or leave it looser?

Loosely seems to work best. For a tesseract, I use a Plexiglas baseball trophy case, spray the inside with window frosting, then place a submersible LED light in the middle of the wax paper and crush until it fits into the case. Based on what you are doing and what you are using, this should work perfectly:)

@springsteel: remember we talked about fibreglass tentpoles,and how they bend only to a certain extend? Well,lying awake at night does have its benefits lol...I thought of a way to replace them:
View attachment 432730
Strong,yet infinitely bendy enough not to break.Not sure if this still applies to what you are working on,but if you incorporate these in your framework,you'll have the ability to bend them if needed.

Loosely seems to work best. For a tesseract, I use a Plexiglas baseball trophy case, spray the inside with window frosting, then place a submersible LED light in the middle of the wax paper and crush until it fits into the case. Based on what you are doing and what you are using, this should work perfectly:)
I found what appears to be the definitive tesseract thread and I think the wax paper will work perfectly! That's exactly the look I'm going for. Canobi's awesome LED is still sitting in Chicago, so says the tracking, but I can't wait to try it out!

@springsteel: remember we talked about fibreglass tentpoles,and how they bend only to a certain extend? Well,lying awake at night does have its benefits lol...I thought of a way to replace them:
View attachment 432730
Strong,yet infinitely bendy enough not to break.Not sure if this still applies to what you are working on,but if you incorporate these in your framework,you'll have the ability to bend them if needed.
I'm not sure the springs will apply to my wing frame - I'm shooting for something stiff and structured that supports itself on my back. But I can definitely see them working with the flexible, arm-style wings!

And sleepless nights sometimes have their perks; last night, I may have found a solution for my wig not fitting under the helmet :)

Very inspiring work. I'm amazed at the detail you where able to capture. I love it.

Thank you! I really loathed the details during the build process, but I think they've since paid off after painting!

So, I haven't gotten a ton done recently - I've found myself at a bit of an impasse while waiting on supplies and parts from here and there. I nicked some galvanized steel fencing wire off my parents, to use as the feather shafts, but now that I have it in hand, I'm worried it will end up being quite heavy. So I'm entertaining the thought of using thin wooden dowels, or something lighter still. As well, the gas struts I purchased for the wing support system are INCREDIBLY strong. I tried to find something with less force, but I've a mechanical engineering friend who thinks they will still work; something about levers and torque and action over a small distance. Hopefully she's right!

Over the weekend I made some progress on the clothing portion of the costume. I made a corset from the onion-dyed silk, linen, leather, and faux leather bias tape. The buckle straps are cut and sewn from leather scraps, and the buckles themselves were originally silver. I used some Testor's model paint to coat them in gold. No flaking or smearing so far. It's far from well-made, but my sewing skills are so garbage-y, I'm fine with "good-enough"!

IMG_5931.JPG

I almost finished painting the helmet as well. While I like the yellow, green and gold, the black face really isn't working for me. I think I might tape it off and respray the face with the hammered chestnut color. Something about it just doesn't call to the classic Hawkgirl helmet...

IMG_5932.JPG

IMG_5933.JPG

IMG_5934.JPG

I also started on the Hawk emblem. I was never a fan of the screaming hawk face, for some reason, so I tried to make it a bit more medieval for the armor. That will get done up in black and red (or hammered chestnut and red).

IMG_5930.JPG

Now that the armor is nearly finished, minus straps/fixtures, I'm really excited/frightened to get started on some wings!

Put it on already!! lol I'm still reeling with anticipation for the completion of this project. Its probably one of the more fantastic builds I've seen here.

you could use barbeque skewers as feather veins
That is an excellent idea! I even have some on hand, which is a huge plus. They might be a little short, but once I start building the feathers, we'll find out.

What a wonderful work!!!!!
Thank you very much!

Put it on already!! lol I'm still reeling with anticipation for the completion of this project. Its probably one of the more fantastic builds I've seen here.
I'm literally held together with tape and bungee cords at this point. There's even a washcloth stuck under the pauldron to help with its shape. A preview:

IMG_5938.JPG

IMG_5939.JPG

I really want Hawkgirl's red hair, but a wig won't fit under the helmet, and I'm not particularly interested in a dye job. To be determined...

I also sprayed the emblem down with some hammered finish, and am waiting on that to dry before painting in the red.

IMG_5942.JPG

But the best update is the arrival of @Canobi's awesome torch! I'm going to pick up some batteries first chance I get and stick this sucker inside the mace.

IMG_5943.JPG

More to come...

Amazing progress!:thumbsup Even with the tape and cords holding everything together for the moment,it still looks awesome! :D Thank you for the preview

That looks spectacular! The corset looks great, and the colours are phenomenal together.

What about just putting some wefts inside the helmet, rather than a full wig? It would mean that when you take the helmet off, the hair goes with it (unless you get creative with a wig cap with only a "partial" wig built onto it from wefts, which would then look silly when you took the helmet off). I've seen similar things done when people don't want the bulk of a full wig - only put in as much hair as you need to show from the outside.

I like Yrien's idea with the hair. Maybe just some red strands that would be kind on like highlights that come off with the helmet. Love the PAINT JOB!! Looks AMAZING!! Cant wait to see the mace all lit up!

chuck.jpg

That is an excellent idea! I even have some on hand, which is a huge plus. They might be a little short, but once I start building the feathers, we'll find out.

Thank you very much!

I'm literally held together with tape and bungee cords at this point. There's even a washcloth stuck under the pauldron to help with its shape. A preview:

View attachment 435730

View attachment 435732

I really want Hawkgirl's red hair, but a wig won't fit under the helmet, and I'm not particularly interested in a dye job. To be determined...

I also sprayed the emblem down with some hammered finish, and am waiting on that to dry before painting in the red.

View attachment 435733

But the best update is the arrival of @Canobi's awesome torch! I'm going to pick up some batteries first chance I get and stick this sucker inside the mace.

View attachment 435734

More to come...

Looks absolutely AMAZING spring!

An option if you dont want to dye your hair permanently is to use red spray in hairspray like this.http://www.partycity.com/product/re...om=Search&navSet=hair color&bypass_redirect=1

Ive seen some pretty good results with this stuff and the best thing is it washes right out afterwards.

Hope that helps.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back