Lightsaber Calculator Bubbles NEW DISCOVERY!!!

The problem with it is that the cool edge with all the rectangles ends up getting hidden in pretty much every clamp.

That's what I'm thinking. If I use it on a canon it has that little channel under where the card would rest, I could glue it to some sintra or styrene to fit.

Seriously-- these little puzzles are what I live for. Taking junk apart and making sabers is such therapy for me.

This thing is cool--

s-l500.jpg

Bubbles and board integrated as one unit. It's either NOS or just new. Electronics supplier from France, $8. They also have a red 4-bubble.

This thing is cool--

View attachment 599311

Bubbles and board integrated as one unit. It's either NOS or just new. Electronics supplier from France, $8. They also have a red 4-bubble.

I want that.

Regarding the Canon, that channel works great for holding a circuit beneath the bubbles. There's even a spring loaded pin that will push back up on it for a very tight fit - no epoxy necessary (Scott will be proud).

I just bought an Exactra 20 this morning off of Ebay. The seller has 100% approval and over 4,000 sales so I think it's legit.

But this was my first search for this calculator ever. I was really surprised that I found one so easily. I thought they all had been gobbled up - like the original Graflex.

I have a few questions that I'm hoping someone can answer.

1. The picture of the one I bought looks like the exact same model as the one at the beginning of this thread. Is there a chance I got the right calculator but the wrong bubbles?
2. Are they rare? Or do they actually come up a lot on Ebay still?
3. (Thinking they were really rare), I jumped on "buy it now" for $99. Was that a good price? A bad price?

UPDATE: I've been reading this thread a bit more and it seems there might be more than one type of bubbles. The auction description for the one I bought says it's a vintage 1974.

Last edited:
$100 is a pretty average BIN price, so I wouldn't feel like you got hosed or anything. I haven't seen any go for less than $75 in a while, at least not on the popular sites. Exactras still seem to pop up quite often, and I wouldn't worry about "wrong" bubbles. The 19/20/TI-2000 will all get you a strip perfect for making a lightsaber activation matrix with :)

I just bought an Exactra 20 this morning off of Ebay. The seller has 100% approval and over 4,000 sales so I think it's legit.

But this was my first search for this calculator ever. I was really surprised that I found one so easily. I thought they all had been gobbled up - like the original Graflex.

I have a few questions that I'm hoping someone can answer.

1. The picture of the one I bought looks like the exact same model as the one at the beginning of this thread. Is there a chance I got the right calculator but the wrong bubbles?
2. Are they rare? Or do they actually come up a lot on Ebay still?
3. (Thinking they were really rare), I jumped on "buy it now" for $99. Was that a good price? A bad price?

UPDATE: I've been reading this thread a bit more and it seems there might be more than one type of bubbles. The auction description for the one I bought says it's a vintage 1974.

The 19 and 20 always have the correct 7 bubble strip and never have a different bubble strip. Unless it's not original and has been tampered with.

Some have the clear bubbles and others have the frosted strip, I believe only in the 20.

Trilan Post a picture of your vintage calculator when it arrives ... I'm curious to see whether you have the 'flattened' edged or almost roundish bubbles inside and congratulations on a great score :)

Chaim

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry, on my phone and can't copy the link from the eBay app. I think since it's a buy it now it's okay to post-- seller is "electoplus"

I just ordered 2 of these things. Unfortunately the spacing won't be 100% accurate to the exactra bubbles, but the circuit board underneath really adds a huge mojo factor. I plan to use at least 1 in a custom saber :cool Plus, as a synthesizer freak, I think it's awesome that these can be used as a Memorymoog display.

EDIT
PS

It looks like these are being currently manufactured. Apparently the company Three Five Corp makes custom displays for people. I wonder how much it would cost to do a run of Exactra-type bubbles and PCBs. Someone (that isn't me) should take the initiative ;)
http://threefivecorp.com/index.php/solutions/display-solutions
This thing is cool--

View attachment 599311

Last edited:
Me too! I was super excited to read that. I also plan to use it in a custom saber.It's pretty thick, but it would work well in an MCP, Ikon or DMB clamp that is tall and has lots of empty space in the middle.

So which version do I have? :) Based on the photos at the start of this thread, I think I have the Exactra 20 and not the 20*

Oh... how does the bubble strip come off? Is it glued? Do I gently pry it off? Thanks.

Exactra Bubbles.jpg

@Kym-Cha
@Trilan Post a picture of your vintage calculator when it arrives ... I'm curious to see whether you have the 'flattened' edged or almost roundish bubbles inside and congratulations on a great score :)

Chaim

Me too! I was super excited to read that. I also plan to use it in a custom saber.It's pretty thick, but it would work well in an MCP, Ikon or DMB clamp that is tall and has lots of empty space in the middle.

hmmm can't find the seller... is it done?

Oh... how does the bubble strip come off? Is it glued? Do I gently pry it off? Thanks.

Bend up the circuit board and look at the underside of it. You'll see the backs of the clear plastic pegs that connect the bubble strip to the board. Take an Exacto and cut off the flat ends of those pegs and you'll be able to pop the bubble strip off of the board.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back