The Definitive Marvel's Daredevil thread

At one point early on in this thread I mentioned how the black suit changed through the series. I know the gloves changed by show 2, maybe 3... Seems to be a lot of disagreement over shirts.....so I offer an article about the black suit evolving through the series. Maybe it will help people feel better about their choices in addition to knowing there is more than one correct version.

http://www.comicscontinuum.com/stories/1503/16/daredevilcostume.htm

This is what we do here, though. We're not fighting, and there are no bad feelings - we're doing group research and trying to precisely identify the exact pieces used in the show. We don't have great reference for all of the items, but hashing out the ones we can discern is the reason we all meet up here!

The great thing is that people can choose to follow the information to whatever degree they like. With this costume, there are certainly some great close-enough options.

Thank you for the breakdown, and additional confirmation.

I doubled checked my first post and I already had each of those model numbers associated with each item.

It's really too bad about the item number being unchanged across versions for the forearm pad. My 651Rs are not the current version which I believe they use on the show - makes for some careful shopping. I ordered again direct from McDavid in the hopes of getting the updated pair.

There are a couple updates that could go in the first post! The 8800 is listed as correct outside of the logo, but it's actually got different panels. There should be two hex sections that intrude into the front of the abdomen from the sides. There may be a shirt outside of the Nike and McDavid 8840R, but there's no evidence of that 8800 being anywhere on the show or logos having been removed from any of the shirts' chests as would have to be done with this one. The next listing in the first post is for the 8840R, which is absolutely the screen-used shirt after talking to McDavid reps about their product variations, but it's got a picture of the 8840T associated with it ("M" icons instead the hex pattern).

We could also add the boot model number to that listing: E02261. There are a lot of Bates 8" tactical boots available; this is the only one whose details all match up (including the side zip) and it could help point people in the right direction if they're aiming for screen accuracy.

Thanks for keeping the list curated, Lukester!!!

It's really too bad about the item number being unchanged across versions for the forearm pad. My 651Rs are not the current version which I believe they use on the show - makes for some careful shopping. I ordered again direct from McDavid in the hopes of getting the updated pair.

There are a couple updates that could go in the first post! The 8800 is listed as correct outside of the logo, but it's actually got different panels. There should be two hex sections that intrude into the front of the abdomen from the sides. There may be a shirt outside of the Nike and McDavid 8840R, but there's no evidence of that 8800 being anywhere on the show or logos having been removed from any of the shirts' chests as would have to be done with this one. The next listing in the first post is for the 8840R, which is absolutely the screen-used shirt after talking to McDavid reps about their product variations, but it's got a picture of the 8840T associated with it ("M" icons instead the hex pattern).

We could also add the boot model number to that listing: E02261. There are a lot of Bates 8" tactical boots available; this is the only one whose details all match up (including the side zip) and it could help point people in the right direction if they're aiming for screen accuracy.

Thanks for keeping the list curated, Lukester!!!

Great work Westies.

I was just waiting until a few more people agreed with me that the shirt is the 8840R.

Updated the first post.

- I marked the 8840 shirt as confirmed, and also updated the product image. Thank you for catching that.
- Also added the model to the Bates boots.

PHEW

Just read through everything, and I mean EVERYTHING.

My con is coming up pretty fast, so I can't be 100% screen accurate for it, but thanks to you guys, I feel pretty solidly close.

Question -- did anyone officially determine a way to cover or remove any branding or lettering from these compression shirts? Ironing is often discouraged, wasn't sure if fabric paint would do the job, so hoped maybe someone had already given it a go and confirmed?

Thanks for all your work guys, you are gods among men (or women, though most of you seemed to identify as dudes).

If you get the right shirt, the McDavid 8840R, there's nothing to remove. Just color the stitches red!

Question -- did anyone officially determine a way to cover or remove any branding or lettering from these compression shirts? Ironing is often discouraged, wasn't sure if fabric paint would do the job, so hoped maybe someone had already given it a go and confirmed?

If you get the right shirt, the McDavid 8840R, there's nothing to remove. Just color the stitches red!

Well for those that did because everything in the 8840R was sold out already, has anyone attempted? I'm getting mine in this week. Worst case scenario I'll take the front panel from another shirt and sew it together.

Well for those that did because everything in the 8840R was sold out already, has anyone attempted? I'm getting mine in this week. Worst case scenario I'll take the front panel from another shirt and sew it together.

I am sadly in this ^^^ camp.

If you end up sewing over, what kind of fabric will you use?

Ack, decisions!

Okay, so we are unsure about the pants - any new updates on the mask? Has anyone actually given the many layers of cotton mesh a go?

Okay okay okay you guys are keeping my cosplay honest. Ordered the shirt. Hopefully it works, my alternative was AliExpress, and my con is in just over 5 weeks!

Wow talk about bad customer service.
Ordered the 8800r awhile ago from mcdavid, I ask them to cancel the order the day of and then a few days later because I never got confirmation and they confirmed it.
They still shipped it. And I have to wait 6 weeks for a refund, not to mention pay for the shipping back

OK, so, I ordered the 8840 shirt from compressionsale.com, and two days later I still don't have any kind of confirmation... This happen to anyone else?

Well, just received my replacement shirt from McDavid, and wouldn't you know it...

mcdavidphoto.JPG

T! 8840T!

I'm not sure if we'll ever be able to correctly label this shirt, but at least we know what it looks like! haha

- Aeric

Well, just received my replacement shirt from McDavid, and wouldn't you know it...

View attachment 468499

T! 8840T!

I'm not sure if we'll ever be able to correctly label this shirt, but at least we know what it looks like! haha

- Aeric

Now that's interesting! And super confusing. :wacko
Westies14, you never posted a pic of your actual shirt. The picture of the packaging doesn't say R or T, so what's the tag say?

Sidetone, let's track down the black suit pants!

Last edited by a moderator:
For anyone that has the Bates boots.

How do they fit? I'm a 10, but could only find a 9.5 at a fair price. Considering getting it.

For anyone that has the Bates boots.

How do they fit? I'm a 10, but could only find a 9.5 at a fair price. Considering getting it.
I'm a 10 as well, and that's the size I ordered. They fit almost perfectly...a 9.5 might've worked on me, but it would've been a tight fit.

Now that's interesting! And super confusing. :wacko
@Westies14, you never posted a pic of your actual shirt. The picture of the packaging doesn't say R or T, so what's the tag say?

Sidetone, let's track down the black suit pants!

You're right! Here's one - the actual shirt in the packaging does have a hang tag, marked 8840R:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1429890205.682883.jpg

I have to assume that someone assigned to clearing out the last of McDavid's old products got lazy with the clearance tags on the compression shirts. They probably didn't think it mattered much, since the model was the same. The only difference between R and T variants in McDavid's product art (on the outer boxes and their website) seems to be the pattern within the inset panels. 8840T should have the contemporary McDavid M icon and 8840R should have the hexes.

Last edited by a moderator:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back