Great Scott! It’s another Hoverboard build thread...

After trying to tidy up the existing paint job on the levitation units, I came to the conclusion it was, yet again, ******...
Here's what I mean

29fv0bp.png

So, I took it back to the resin and started over. There are no pictures of this bit, as I was too busy crying!
But here is a video instead...

Last edited by a moderator:
I bought a different brand of black spray paint and got satin instead of gloss. A quick prayer before spraying commenced.
Having given the primer sufficient time to cure and give it the lightest of rub downs...

2e65zbr.jpg

Gave it several very light coats and made sure I waited enough time between coats.

dcg6cg.jpg

2n852ww.jpg

And that is where we are now. Tomorrow the red gets applied. Again.
Bought a different brand of red too.

Have been touching my levitation plates. I think the black will actually dry this time!

You know, that first bit looks far more pervy typed than it did when I thought it... ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay then.

The black paint has definitely hardened this time and is ready for masking so that I can paint the red (for the third time!) but with a different brand of spray paint this time around.

ve0uom.jpg

Was really careful, I masked one lev plate and the gave it a very light first coat, essentially just a mist coat. Set this aside and masked the other plate and sprayed that similarly.
By the time I was done with number two, the first plate was ready for another coat.

2mg6zyu.jpg

In between each coat I used my uplighter halogen lamp which has a bendy reading lamp attachment to slightly heat the paint and I used my airbrush (just blowing plain old air) to try to help the curing process. I don't think that I could stand to have to take all the paint off a third time...

2u4k9iq.jpg

This really seemed to help and I also put each plate outside for a time, just while I was spraying the other one.

After about an hour and a half, I had put a sufficient amount of paint on and decided to take the masking tape off. It is better to do that before the paint fully hardens as you do not want to spoil the edges of your paint job.

So, this is where we are, they need to be left for 24 hours and then I can paint the top, central disc chrome.

2cxgwac.jpg

I have high hopes this time. The black paint is totally dry and hard to the touch, while the red is just about touch dry and there is none of the bubbling I have seen the other two times.

If all goes well, I can put a satin clear coat on top this time tomorrow and 24 hours after that?
I can fit the plates and the battery onto the underside of the board and the damned thing will pretty much be finito...!

Exceptionally dry, warm weather equals careful masking for the top disc...

16gaa1.jpg

2uqoj21.jpg

This stuff goes on super well and dries about as fast, so I was able to get three coats laid down in less than 30 minutes...

244xiza.jpg

Careful removal of tape and paper...

35l5kl0.jpg

This one went really well, no touching up required.

6ictba.jpg

This one needs a little work, but overall, not too shabby.

sghkhw.jpg

I should be able to finish these off sometime today, then tomorrow a spray of satin clear coat.
I don't see any reason why this won't be completed before Friday this week. :thumbsup

Thank the Maker! ;)

A minor disaster has occurred with the velcro on the top of the board.
As far as I can tell the adhesive has reacted with the satin clear coat I sprayed the board with after applying the decal and all the velcro has loosened.
The only way to address this is to remove all the velcro and (very carefully) scrape all of the clear coat off of the decal and glue the velcro back this time using contact adhesive.

It took me about two hours of scraping to get that off. Luckily I had covered the decal with transparent book film to protect the ink of the printout.
Never thought I would be protecting it from a scraper!

This was the state of play last night.

21ale09.jpg

This morning, I sprayed the underside greeblies I made with a few light coats of satin clear coat.

210htn4.jpg

It appears to be drying okay. I have noticed a few small lumps/bubbles but they are very tiny and although it "kills my pig" I will be leaving it as it is...

And here is the board, with the velcro re-done.

n3reon.jpg

I don't know, it almost seems like fate itself does not want me to finish this... :lol

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back