Star Wars: The Last Jedi (Post-release)

What did you think of Star Wars: The Last Jedi?

• It was great. Loved it. Don't miss it at the theaters.

Votes: 154 26.6%
  • It was good. Liked it very much. Worth the theater visit.

Votes: 135 23.4%
  • It was okay. Not too pleased with it. Could watch it at the cinema once or wait for home video.

Votes: 117 20.2%
  • It was disappointing. Watch it on home video instead.

Votes: 70 12.1%
  • It was bad. Don't waste your time with it.

Votes: 102 17.6%

• Total voters
This film was a major disappointment. I really wanted to love it. It just proves that there is a formula to Star Wars. Stray too far from it and its no longer Star Wars. Subverting expectations is not the same as a genuine plot twist that actually enhances the story and deepens the character's struggles.

Without getting into specifics (for a lack of time because I'm at work) I will say that the Yoda scene was just laughably bad. Not only was the CGI horribly done but the whole thing came off like a bad SNL sketch. What a shame for Mark Hamill. They ruined Luke in this film. I adore Mark and what a shame his talents were wasted on such a terrible script. He is such a gifted actor!

This and Rogue One are simply fan films on a large scale. What happened to themes? TFA may have been a reboot of ANH but it followed the formula pretty closely, albeit with some flaws and sadly a lack of theme . The original trilogy is the benchmark, and to me the only films that actually matter. Everything else thus far is just filler. To see whats become of these films just motivates me to work on my own original fantasy /mythology novel.

Last edited:
*****. Does anyone remember when going to the movies was just a fun thing to do to kill some time and relax for a bit? The detractors of this movie are going WAY overboard with it. Calm the hell down. Did I have some beefs with it? Of course. But I did have some with TFA but still enjoyed that movie, and did the same with this. Movies are meant to be fun escapes from reality, and thats exactly what this was. Did I think the asian girl character was pointless? Yes. Did I get bummed out when Luke died? Yes. Did I think the yoda puppet looked off when they first showed him? Of course. But I would rather have a puppet done incorrectly than a CGI abomination like the PT. It was an enjoyable addition to the franchise and like it or not, the filmmakers are trying to get a new generation of fans interested in a 40 year old franchise. You should be thanking your lucky stars (pun intended) that a 40 year old movie is even getting this much attention.

I cant wait to see what @TheWook says about it though, considering I missed TFA post release thread. :lol

Also RT is worthless. Nobody should use that **** of a website for anything.

Last edited by a moderator:
This certainly doesn't leave much to look forward to in 9. A resolution of Rey/Kylo are pretty much all that's left.

Rey's visit to the island seemed overall pointless. She maybe learned out to listen to The Force better? Other than that Luke didn't want to teach her anything and she didnt learn much.

Luke having his blue saber at the end was a really odd choice, especially for facing Kylo. That was a huge hint that the jig was up.

*****. Does anyone remember when going to the movies was just a fun thing to do to kill some time and relax for a bit? The detractors of this movie are going WAY overboard with it. Calm the hell down. Did I have some beefs with it? Of course. But I did have some with TFA but still enjoyed that movie, and did the same with this. Movies are meant to be fun escapes from reality, and thats exactly what this was. Did I think the asian girl character was pointless? Yes. Did I get bummed out when Luke died? Yes. Did I think the yoda puppet looked off when they first showed him? Of course. But I would rather have a puppet done incorrectly than a CGI abomination like the PT. It was an enjoyable addition to the franchise and like it or not, the filmmakers are trying to get a new generation of fans interested in a 40 year old franchise. You should be thanking your lucky stars (pun intended) that a 40 year old movie is even getting this much attention.

I cant wait to see what @TheWook says about it though, considering I missed TFA post release thread. :lol

Also RT is worthless. Nobody should use that **** of a website for anything.

Remember when movies were good? Why should we thank our lucky stars for garbage that only erodes what was great about the story. Do it right or not at all. At this point I'd prefer they never make another Star Wars movie.

Well he has a vested interest in how Disney sales are doing... so sort of. I wish I was joking.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

He's said he owns some Disney stock. You're acting like he's on the Board of Directors or something. FFS I own some Disney stock, too. Bought it after the LFL merger just for fun. Doesn't automatically make me a Disney shill. Jeez.

Remember when movies were good? Why should we thank our lucky stars for garbage that only erodes what was great about the story. Do it right or not at all. At this point I'd prefer they never make another Star Wars movie.
Usually I agree with you on everything you say, but I gotta disagree with you here. I thought it was fun and Im a die hard Star Wars/OT fan/PT hater. Im not as old as some of you guys, cause I was born in 82 but I think thats irrelevant. Thats the thing, the "do it right" is so subjective, you cant please everyone with these movies! Not to be rude, but what you prefer doesnt matter, its going to happen anyway. And I for one am glad that they are, because Im a star wars fan. Now does that mean Im going to like every single decision/movie they make? Hell no. I hated Rogue one. But I also loved TFA and I did enjoy this movie. Granted I just saw it once last night, and its still sinking in, but its no way near as bad as you guys are making it out to be.

And the stuff about Luke? I dont know why you guys are surprised he was being whiny, he has ALWAYS been whiny. And his jedi training was half assed, he barely had that much practice in the force, so Im not sure why everyone is flipping out that he wasnt all god like. Its totally feasible he would skulk after making his nephew turn to the darkside.

- - - Updated - - -

He's said he owns some Disney stock. You're acting like he's on the Board of Directors or something. FFS I own some Disney stock, too. Bought it after the LFL merger just for fun. Doesn't automatically make me a Disney shill. Jeez.
Yeah but you know how he is though. He sometimes acts like he is on the damn board with how condescending he is, and he has nothing but praise for every single decision Disney makes. You know damn well you act nothing like how he does regarding this stuff. :lol

Movie good or bad.
TPM.. B.. but I learned alot
AOTC.. B... finished the movie with new knowledge
ROTS.. A-.. again.. decent end to a prequel

ANH.. A.. introduction.. great character build
ESB.. A+.. answered questions.. hook line and sinker for me
ROTJ.. B+.. good end to a trilogy.

TFA.. D+.. almost unwatchable.. does not get better the more you watch it... no info..other than new names and where Luke is.. lots of dialog and running around.. people seemed to do remarkable things in 10 minutes
TLJ.. Somewhere is the low C's..if there was a grade between C- and D+.. still.. nothing new learned..other than who dies (or who is not longer in this 3rd dimension) .. rushed and head scratching (yet very familiar/deja vu)

I can only hope IX is a C+ to finish this off. Of course I'll watch it...:$

Saw it last night.... with 35 friends and family... my thoughts reflect this thread, mixed. It is Star Wars, whether it went in a direction I wanted it to go or not... so I bring it in, accept it, Love it where I can, and Wish for what I cannot change... but It’s family now. So come on into the fold. Together with all the rest.

My generation of Star Wars was made between 1977 -1983. I LOVED them! I was 5-11 years old then. They inspired me with wonder and awe. For that, I am eternally grateful. I lived for Star Wars... It has and will, influence me for a lifetime. They inspired me to become a working Artist, a creative type, like many of you. .... But the old days are gone. My Star Wars is in the past. So like Kylo said, ‘Let the past die!’ I have to do that. This is a Star Wars for a new generation! It’s their story now. I can watch ...(like some old man on an island) but must temper my thoughts. Is it the Star Wars the way I imagined it? No. But could that ever be? Yet, is it now part of the family? Yes. ... Welcome TLJ, you are now part of the family. (Regardless of how I feel about you!) Mixed bag and all!

One other thing... one of my couple friends brought their 2 year old baby to the movie with them! And sat right next to me! Haha... I jokingly complained to them about ‘ruining’ my Star Wars night, but you know what? That was the best part of the whole evening! That 2 year old little girl did not cry once! And was absolutely enthralled with the movie! She clapped when everyone clapped, she pushed her moms hand out of the way when she tried to cover her eyes...she was mesmerized! THAT was special to see! THAT is what Star Wars is about! ... I could complain and whine about what is or is not SW. But, it always has been about family. Yours, mine, and others! So enjoy YOUR SW!!! With your family and friends!

A generation comes, and a generation goes... but family is family. And I will Love/Hate my Star Wars family forever! Here on the RPF, and everywhere!

Well, I loved it. I thought it was MUCH better than TFA.
I don't fault anyone for their opinions. There should be no reason for anyone to disagree as opinions are never wrong.

I'll never forget what my dad used to say:" Opinions are like buttholes. Everybody has one and they usually stink!" :lol

Speaking of ratings..... It looks like the Rotten Tomatoes fan rating is in and The Last Jedi scored a 64. The only Star Wars movies to score lower are Attack of the Clones and The Phantom Menace at 57 and 59. Yup... it's a turkey folks.

-OWK

Again this is just my opinion after knowing the plot for the past week and seeing it again last night. I enjoyed TFA and ranked it better than the the Prequels.

I have no problems with the new characters Rey/Kylo/Finn/Poe being used in the new films but when you stand back and look at the two films together, I don’t see how these two films bring anything new to the Star Wars Universe, lore and Canon. The overall story so far is just a remake of the Anakin Skywalker redemption story from the last six films. Do we really need to see that story retold in the exact same manner but just renaming characters and planets?

This film not only fails for the huge plot holes and WTF moments within it but also for its FAILURE of WHAT IT COULD/SHOULD HAVE BEEN.

Despite all the hype, the two new films at their core should have been a coherent story involving Luke because that is what Disney/Lucasfilm left us with at the end of TFA. (At least in the TFA, Han got a story that stayed consistent with his OT character and he died an emotional death that moved the story forward). I get it that Disney/Lucasfilm wants to pander to the new younger fans and really do not care about the OT or its original characters because they are too old, etc..., but they should still want to make a compelling coherent story despite all the hype and special effects. If they did not want to make a story which includes the OT characters, like Luke, then why hype the OT characters. Just look at all the marketing for TLJ. Its all about LUKE, LUKE, and more LUKE.

This is not the Luke story anyone was expecting nor was it the one that needed to be told. I thought Disney/Lucasfilm had a Star Wars Story committee that approved or disapproved the plots and stories of these characters starting with TFA. How did they pick this story for Luke? Seriously, no one had a better idea then Grouchy Old Jedi who runs away from his problems for 15 years? Seriously they had no other interesting or compelling story then this one? I mean think of all the possibilities they could have chosen and they chose one where Luke NEVER uses his lightsaber in battle? Really? Did anyone ever speak up? Who thought this was an AWESOME way for LUKE to end his Star Wars story after 40 plus years? Rian? WTF?

I mean if this was Rian’s sole idea and Lucasfilm totally backed him then Rian and Disney/Lucasfilm have run of of steam and have no new original thoughts and ideas worth telling. We, the fans, are just “pawns” in the game as we continue to fund these films and buy merchandise. Where can I buy a “Frozen Space Leia” figure? :/

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Speaking of ratings..... It looks like the Rotten Tomatoes fan rating is in and The Last Jedi scored a 64. The only Star Wars movies to score lower are Attack of the Clones and The Phantom Menace at 57 and 59. Yup... it's a turkey folks.

-OWK

Wow! 1 day and it's a "turkey"? Your assessment is laughable at best! :lol

I sadly have to aggree with Master Edi...I am even older then he is...and I also start to realize that "our" Star Wars days are over. But it hurts. :-(
I also have to agree with "the Pawn" on his post above.
Marketing the old charaters and then let them die in the way they do I think is because of the cash...it's the older generation (like me) that drag their families to the movies and buy the merchendise, be it for the kids or for themselves! I am curious if after the next (last) episode the new generation of customers will be hot enough already to carry on feeding the Star Wars business. When I look around the kids here I somehow doubt it.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back