I'm going on a flash handle pic, need some help

kevin926

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hello all. A friend of mine is down sizing his personal antique collection and he has over 100 cameras and flash handles. He did say he has graflex and kobold, no mpp or praco. I know there are a few different graflexs and I know the correct one of course, however, not sure about the correct kobold.

He is allowing me to come over and pick out what I would like before he sells off the majority of his collection. I'm not counting on the correct graflex, but it would be fun to get the correct kobold. Also what bolsey is the correct one (if there are a few types) not sure at all because I never pursued either build.

So my asks are.
1 -the correct kobold
2- the correct bolsey
3 -are there any other flashes I should look out for besides a heiland?

Photos and or model numbers would be a great help. I do have a couple weeks before I can go take a look so I'm trying to be prepared in advance.

All input will be greatly appreciated. I will certainly keep you posted in what I find. Bust or score.

Thanks in advance
Kevin

Sounds like a good friend!

The Bolsey used for a Yoda saber replica is the No. 2 in place of a Praco.

Not sure about the others...

Have fun!

both the silver and black wrinkled kobold are screen accurate - with the clip that has two screws o one end. there is a kobold with the screws at each end of the reflector dish clip that is incorrect. The kobold also is a can shape with a smaller part up top. theres a kobold that has a smaller lower body that looks weird as crap.

ProbeDroid_KoboldFlat.jpg
I would look out for a heiland synchrvonar with the big flashlight head and metal body -used for the kurtz vader saber.

Also, this. idk what flash it was, and i sold it without getting an ID. Not screen used, but cool rare flash unit, I got mine from germany.
IMG_1622.JPG

For the Kobold make sure the screws on the clip are at the top right next to eachother instead of one at the top of the clip one at the bottom.

Also, check out PartsofSW.com for the Kobold. The black ones are more desirable while the a lot of the silver ones have a stepped shroud.

- - - Updated - - -

Tom beat me to it.

both the silver and black wrinkled kobold are screen accurate - with the clip that has two screws o one end. there is a kobold with the screws at each end of the reflector dish clip that is incorrect. The kobold also is a can shape with a smaller part up top. theres a kobold that has a smaller lower body that looks weird as crap.

View attachment 692381
I would look out for a heiland synchrvonar with the big flashlight head and metal body -used for the kurtz vader saber.

Also, this. idk what flash it was, and i sold it without getting an ID. Not screen used, but cool rare flash unit, I got mine from germany.
View attachment 692382

Yeah be on the look pout for praco... it's the mirror of bolsey and the one actually used.

for non canon flashes, that are just fun... if he has a canon model y, I'd be interested!

I would like to have a friend like yours :)

The correct graflex should have a red button with long knurling, and a lens eye with a thinner, shiny knurled bezel.

The bottom cap for ESB is generally believed to say "Folmer Graflex, Rochester New York" with no patent number.

Peak flashes also make great sabers, just ask @Scottd!

@NeoRutty I might have a y for you. I took it apart a long time ago, I'll see if I still have all the parts [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:
I would like to have a friend like yours :)

The correct graflex should have a red button with long knurling, and a lens eye with a thinner, shiny knurled bezel.

The bottom cap for ESB is generally believed to say "Folmer Graflex, Rochester New York" with no patent number.

Peak flashes also make great sabers, just ask @Scottd!

@NeoRutty I might have a y for you. I took it apart a long time ago, I'll see if I still have all the parts [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks, Yeah let me know! I have parts of a model X, but nothing for the back end...

It's like having a 2 cell graflex, but with NOTHING that fits as a replacement for the batter compartment.

Thanks all. Keep it coming. I can be on the look out for other flashes if you are looking for something special.

So, I forgot an important ask.
What are the values on a kobold or bolsey (if he has the correct ones).? I know the values on graflex and heiland, but have no clue what a fair price would be on the others. I have no foundation on cost here and would hate to pass up because I think it's too high and find out later it was a good deal, and of course not spend twice what it's worth.

Again, not even sure he will have anything I'm looking for. He knows his stuff so I know I'm not going to find a hidden mpp or praco because he said he doesn't have them.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah be on the look pout for praco... it's the mirror of bolsey and the one actually used.

for non canon flashes, that are just fun... if he has a canon model y, I'd be interested!

I will certainly look, just need a value on it so I don't spend more than its worth.

Thanks all. Keep it coming. I can be on the look out for other flashes if you are looking for something special.

So, I forgot an important ask.
What are the values on a kobold or bolsey (if he has the correct ones).? I know the values on graflex and heiland, but have no clue what a fair price would be on the others. I have no foundation on cost here and would hate to pass up because I think it's too high and find out later it was a good deal, and of course not spend twice what it's worth.

Again, not even sure he will have anything I'm looking for. He knows his stuff so I know I'm not going to find a hidden mpp or praco because he said he doesn't have them.

- - - Updated - - -

I will certainly look, just need a value on it so I don't spend more than its worth.

Hmmm well on ebay, if it says "STAR WARS LIGHTSABER!!!!" you could get 100?

$25 is about what I paid for my Canon X

Which is nuts, cuz the first 2 graflexes I bought I got for $85... a couple months before JJ was hired to direct some Star Wars flick... heh

Hmmm well on ebay, if it says "STAR WARS LIGHTSABER!!!!" you could get 100?

$25 is about what I paid for my Canon X

Which is nuts, cuz the first 2 graflexes I bought I got for $85... a couple months before JJ was hired to direct some Star Wars flick... heh
I know, silly how prices just went crazy. Same thing with my vintage star wars collection. 20 dollar figure jumed to 50 over night.

Cool, so 20 to 30 is good for a y if he has one? I will most likely know the day before I go so I will let everyone know. I am really reluctant to spend anything over 200 as far as a graflex goes. I'm not sure the price will hold later on when you can get a replica for 150 to 250. Most don't care about a real flash gun as long as it looks "close enough"

The silver Kobolds fetch less money than the black ones. Silver any where from $50 to $250 (high eBay end) and for the black $100 to $350+ (again high ebay price)

Bolseys go for $10 to $30

Cool! So for the most part, the majority of flashes are around 20 to 30 besides the kolbold, heiland and graflex. (Our graflex, not the lite)

I will be on the lookout. Again if any of my fellow members are looking for a standard flash, let me know and please include photos and fair market value. I can buy as many as I want, but I don't want to get stuck with them. I'm going to be on the look out for NeoRuttys cannon y already.

Rutty, post a pic so I know what I'm looking for

Last edited:
I know, silly how prices just went crazy. Same thing with my vintage star wars collection. 20 dollar figure jumed to 50 over night.

Cool, so 20 to 30 is good for a y if he has one? I will most likely know the day before I go so I will let everyone know. I am really reluctant to spend anything over 200 as far as a graflex goes. I'm not sure the price will hold later on when you can get a replica for 150 to 250. Most don't care about a real flash gun as long as it looks "close enough"

Yup!

I think you'd be okay for graflexes not dropping in price. More Rey coming, and more "hey, did you know her lightsaber is a GRAFLEX!?!?!" vids.

And people are gonna want the real thing.

Cool! So for the most part, the majority of flashes are around 20 to 30 besides the kolbold, heiland and graflex. (Our graflex, not the lite)

I will be on the lookout. Again if any of my fellow members are looking for a standard flash, let me know and please include photos and fair market value. I can buy as many as I want, but I don't want to get stuck with them. I'm going to be on the look out for NeoRuttys cannon y already.

Yup!

I think you'd be okay for graflexes not dropping in price. More Rey coming, and more "hey, did you know her lightsaber is a GRAFLEX!?!?!" vids.

And people are gonna want the real thing.

If you get a chance, pst a picture of the flash you are looking for

I won't get my hopes up about a real graflex but if I have a shot, this will be my best chance.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back