Tips and advice: Fallout NCR helmet (Complete)

SFPinkSmartie

Hello,

I'm looking for a bit of advice on my next step. I am currently making a Fallout NCR costume. This is my first EVER costume, I'm quite the noob at all this so be nice :) I have made the armour and finished the helmet pepakura however I'm not sure what my next step is with the helmet. I'm using this pep file: http://www.therpf.com/f24/fallout-new-vegas-desert-helmet-pep-files-103472/

I think I was a bit ambitious with this pepakura as it was my first try however I eventually got it done.

So far I've got my hands on a fibreglass kit which includes the resin and fibreglass mat, I've also got a fibreglass compound putty.

So my question/s are:

In general what are my next steps in regards to the helmet?

Should I join the front and back of the mask before I resin it? (I ask this because if it's joined i doubt I'll get my head into it however in the link I posted above it was joined)

Do I coat the pepakura with a layer of resin before applying the fibreglass mat?

Do I resin inside and out, and fibreglass the inside only?

Thanks for any responses.

Last edited:
Re: Tips and advice: Fallout NCR helmet

Congratulations, on starting your project. as to your next step, just ensure the helmet is in correct proportions, and ensure any excess tape is removed if at all possible.I find that the outside should only be resend, while the inside should be fibre-glassed, or "rondo"ed.. fibre glassing tends to be stronger, but many prefer rondo, which is a mixture of 50% bondo, and 50% resin, due to the smaller amount of effort involved. you should begin by applying a light coat of resin to the outside, to ensure that it dose't warp, from that, treat the inside with whichever technique you prefer. after that it is just a case of MANY hours of sanding, and body filler, and then painting. Good luck, cant wait to see the finished piece!

Last edited:

I suggest you do the thing @NeXXt did on his helm... i myself did not yet do it but will soon (not the one from the profile pic), you can see in my topic the progression, also i will today/tommorow add some more pictures after some time, so from the inside fiber, and from the outside resin if you want, i will add only from the inside 2-3 layers if fiber glass, and from the outside putty which is used for cars, the soft one, two component ofc ;)
Good luck with the project, if you need anymore question PM me ;)

Hello guys thanks for the replies and apologises for this really late reply.

I progressed well in the last few months unfortunately rushing a lot of it this week as the deadline is tomorrow. I happy with this as my first project and have learnt a lot on the way. There are a few things i'd do differently but i'll know for next time. Anyway here is the final result:

PS:: If anyone gets this before tomorrow I need a tip on how to prevent the perspex from fogging up?

IMG_3507.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Oh yes just note this is missing a few things - like armour around arms, a few straps etc however this is all I could put on on my own before losing movement lol

I don't know what your location is, but U.S. sporting goods stores usually have stuff that you can rub on goggles to keep them from fogging.

Thanks for your reply however I'm uk based and no stores are open lol I have opted to try baby shampoo

Thanks for your reply however I'm uk based and no stores are open lol I have opted to try baby shampoo
Try a 50/50 mix solution of washing up liquid and water. I am also GB based so feel your pain! failing that on the day good ol spit works pretty well. Hope this helps!

Thanks for the tip ended up using baby shampoo worked a treat. Ended up the heat was my main issue..

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back