Top Gun Moto Helmet - Part 2: VIPER

Great job with the Maverick helmet! What amazing and painstaking attention to detail throughout the process! Any updates on the Viper project?

Thanks Rebecca!

No updates as of yet on the Viper helmet. When things got busy with work the project sort of fell to a lower priority slot. I don't care to work on a project when my motivation isn't prime - usually as a result, the project suffers. Hopefully within the next month, I'll have it back on track!

One note though, I actually did do more work since my last update, just haven't posted pics. It's all black now and needs wet-sanded.

Impressive and extremely time consuming for a slow step by step process, WOW, very nice work into the detail is amazing, great job.....I will send you all my model kits to let you practice on those, to prep you for your next helmet project.....lol......always said , Practice makes perfect....lol

Hey everyone! After nearly 2 years this project has been resurrected. After my last post re: Viper, a lot of other things started happening and the project just got pushed aside. Since this thread is a few years old now, some pictures I know aren't loading but page 4 shows how my Maverick helmet turned out. I'm going to basically pick up where i left off with the painting this weekend. I've got the custom made graphics pack being made up now so I'm estimating this to take about a month or less to complete. Like my first helmet, I'm not going to rush it though because it really did turn out good since i was patient with it. So stay tuned!

So that you don't have to flip back and look, here's what I'm going to be working with:
Here's what the old helmet looked like new:

20040520185612-4932.jpg

and here's what I'm going to make it into:

IMG_3057.jpg

11298_3.jpg

I'm really excited to be returning to this project!

Last edited:
I took advantage of the great weather yesterday and shot 2 coats of paint black paint on my my helmet. I wet sanded both coats and it's looking pretty good. I'll have some pics posted soon.

Here's are a few update pictures on the project:

IMG_7272e.jpg

IMG_7273e.jpg

IMG_7276e.jpg

All things considered, I'm glad that stopping where i did initially wasn't really a bad place to stop. I had a few things to work through to get the helmet ready for this phase, but overall I'm really liking how nicely the paint is going on. I still plan to do a more wet sanding and hitting it with a few more coats, but by the time the graphics pack arrives next week, I should be more than ready to move to the next stage.

The only point of concern that I have is whether or not I should do things any different from my Maverick helmet. In doing that one, i decided to apply the graphics and then clear coat it to protect everything, but in looking at the original screen used helmet closely, it looks like the helmet does have a clear coat but that the graphics were laid on top of it. So I'm not sure what which way to go with it just yet. I do expect to wear it a lot and do want to protect it from surface impacts, so I may end up clearing it like i did before...but i haven't decided yet.

Hey everyone! No new picture updates because...in all honesty, they all sorta look the same - the helmet is black!! lol...But I've done 4 more coats in the past few days and been really working on wet sanding the finer detailed areas around the visor window. With projects like this, I learned from the first one that slow and steady gets the best results. So taking the time to hit the detailed and somewhat finer areas will make the end result look that much better. I hit it with a fresh coat this morning and left it to dry. It's looking good but with each layer I sorta say the same thing!!

Weekend update on this project - Graphics and Paint!

Good news, the custom vinyl graphics pack that i ordered arrived Friday! I was really excited! I spent time on the helmet this morning and wet sanded it in a few places than was able to shoot 2 really good coats of paint on it. I think by this next weekend it'll be ready for graphics application then clear coat the whole thing. I'm really excited!

Here's a few update pics:

20140406_123815.jpeg

20140406_123747.jpeg

Hey everyone! It seems like it's a long time between posts and that my project is going slow but it is still going and it's going well. I'd rather it go slowly and turn out perfect like the first on than go quickly and be fraught with problems!

So did step back a little from Project Viper for a little while but recently got back to it and finally got my helmet to a stage where I really felt ready for it to move into the graphics application phase.

After wet sanding it again, and making sure the surface was the way i really wanted it, I set to work and began plotting out where i wanted to start. After looking very closly at the screen used helmet pics, I decided that the first and best place to begin would be with the side face. This brought it's own complications though because i really really wanted it to be centered and symmetrical so it was a pain staking process for my new skills in this area.

I really felt like the smart thing to do was to start by masking out 2 lines to start making my measurements from - one from front to back, and another from side-to-side. This enabled me to measure out my gap distance from the visor line to place the Viper face as well as help to determine the line alignment with the top of the visor line as well.

Picture3.jpg

Once i was happy with the placement of my lines, i softly marked with a pencil where i wanted to start placing each face.

Picture1.png

Once I had each face in place, I began working on each wing. This was REALLY hard. If you've ever applied 2 part vinyl graphics to a curved surface you know what I'm talking about!! The most important part however was the placement so that when you look at the rear of the helmet that it looks as symmetrical as possible. I HATE it when i see work that's done sloppy and looks obviously not done well. So this part drove me nuts.

Picture2.jpg

I started by doing 1 wing and then making the helmet horizontally across the back so that I could mark where I needed to place the second wing in order for them to look as symmetrical as possible.

7.jpg

Knowing that the tape isn't exactly 100% strait or cut to a precise length I marked and placed the second wing and am very pleased with how it looks overall.

I still have A LOT more to do, but these pieces were definitely the starting point. All the curved lines and additional graphics will build off these initial pieces. But from mock-up to application, it's looking better than I had expected.

Once I get the graphics application completed, I'll clear coat the entire helmet so that it'll have a nice uniform shine to it!

I'd like to have this project done within 30 days, but we'll see!!

lol...yeah, it's a challenge for sure. The difficult part is that the physical size of a motorcycle helmet is significantly different from a flight helmet, so I'm going to have to do a little creative planning for the rings. I don't want them to look weird or off balance!

Thanks for the compliment!!

More updates! The progress is moving MUCH quicker now!

Yesterday I had a chance to finally start working on the front facing wings. Let me tell you, determining where to place them sure wasn't easy. I did a handful of ideas in mock-up and when I finally decided on placement, I made light marks with a pencil for placement and began the application process. It was funny I found myself talking to myself a little while i was doing the application, sorta had my own little Happy Gilmore scene when I started saying "just roll it on...just roll it on..." reminded me of 'tap it in, just taaap it in..." lol

Check it out!

13e.jpg

16e.jpg

14e.jpg

Once I took a few deep breaths and a little break after I got the wings done, I decided to start with the next ring on the side of the helmet. This proved to be another really difficult challenge. I've never worked with curves like this on a curved surface like on my helmet. The Maverick helmet I did didn't have any curved graphics or graphics that needed curving, so this is really a challenge. I was REALLY happy with how it next gold curve turned out. I still need to do the blue ring for it, but once i got the gold ring applied i had to step away from the project before I stressed out too much!! lol!

So here's where I left off:

12e.jpg

Hey Everyone! Check it out! This weekend was a big weekend because I completed Phase II of the graphics application!!

What do you think?

Front:

18e.jpg

l.jpg

Front/Side:

17e.jpg

11298_1.jpg

Side:

20e.jpg

IMG_3057.jpg

Back:

19e.jpg

11298_3.jpg

Given the dimensions of the helmet, I could only do 2 gold rings, but I like how they look and am really pleased with them. I had to take a little artistic creativity with a few things like the placement of the Viper call-sign, mainly on the front of the helmet, but otherwise everything fit very well.

The next step will be to wipe it down and start the clear coat process! Please let me know what you think!!!

Last edited:
Nice work so far Dave, looking forward to seeing you take the final steps , once completed , I can only say I see one problem with it , once its done....HMMMMM....its not going to be sitting in MY CABINET !!!........LOL

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back