My 31" "20,000 Leagues Under The Sea" Nautilus Build

I have a CR version, and the castings are perfect... I am sorry you have to deal with all the flaws, and it's pretty shameless they don't make the corrections!
I have their Time Machine kit, and it's perfect.
K

well unfortunately sometimes we have to learn things by trial and error. the masterpiece kit isn't a total loss, it will turn out just fine though I did have to spend extra money else where to correct the flaws. Had I been aware of Dry Docks and Bob Martin, I'd have gone that direction. The kit from Bob is far and away a superior product. I'm going to offer this masterpiece to a friend in CA who is a freak for this stuff first, if he doesn't want it for what I have in it, I'll put it on Ebay, someone is sure to snap it up. Then I will build Bob's kit to the 9's for myself. The again, if I get a boat load for the first one...who knows. I just enjoy building highly detailed kits so for me the satisfaction lies there.
I have a CR version, and the castings are perfect... I am sorry you have to deal with all the flaws, and it's pretty shameless they don't make the corrections!
I have their Time Machine kit, and it's perfect.
K

TW+all:
Youse guys are killin' it!
I've built nearly a dozen Nautili and these efforts are far closer to my 12th than the first.
One think I'd suggest for future builds, is the grate below the wheel in the wheelhouse. I open all the floor holes and add lighting below.
IMG_4031.JPG

Hey, that looks reaaly nice, I'm hoping for a similar result. Been following my friend Timey on here, lots of great ideas from him. Also watched Bob's youtube stuff, very helpful.
I'm actually still in the early stage and can open up the holes in the wheel house floor, excellent suggestion! Thanks!! I've light tested this thing numerous times and have thought it was a bit dark in the wheel house. The only challenge will be is that I built that chart room and already secured it under neath, hate to try to remove it...I could try drilling upside down to minimize the plastic gathering in the chart room...no wait...I'm a dunce...I extended the main hatch stairs and built the landing at the bottom of the stairs...but under that landing going toward the rear is not closed off. drill shaving will fall right out, or come out with the help off a choked down shop vac.
I know what you mean about progressive builds improving. I've done 5 MPC Millennium Falcons, first one box stock parts...it was hidious, by the time I got to number 5 I had done all the research, got my hands on all the best upgrade parts, so this last one is quite spectacular.
I'm sure glad you chimed in on this, opening up those grating holes is an awesome idea. I think I may even do the area behind the spiral stair case, no one willl see it anyway, and if they could, so what. I had been a bit concerned about insufficient lighting in the wheel house and you just solved it for me, Thanks my new friend!!:thumbsup
TW+all:
Youse guys are killin' it!
I've built nearly a dozen Nautili and these efforts are far closer to my 12th than the first.
One think I'd suggest for future builds, is the grate below the wheel in the wheelhouse. I open all the floor holes and add lighting below.
View attachment 757509

again, not the Disney build...the Pegasus for my CA buddy...made great progress over the weekend, applied the rusting compound last night and didn't get pics before I left the house this morning, but this is leading up to...the PE railings were a sweat I can tell you...pegasus5.JPGpegasus6.JPGpegasus7.JPGpegasus8.JPGpegasus9.JPG

OMG - what an amazing work in progress walk through - bloomin amazing model - fantastic modelling - really brilliant. Love the 3D "get out of jail" options - really adds the final touches

get out of jail options?...I'm a bit confused about that one, that's assuming you were commenting on my post. But if you were, thank you. It's as lit as I could manage given the 144 scale. I think the challenge lies with painting the squid and have it look real, and hiding the wires down through on of the tentacles :lol
OMG - what an amazing work in progress walk through - bloomin amazing model - fantastic modelling - really brilliant. Love the 3D "get out of jail" options - really adds the final touches

gt:
exceptionally nice work on this alternative Nautilus design. bought one but never built it as I couldn't wrap my head around it. after building so many Brodeens, I guess I'm a snob.

thanks, it wasn't too bad really. spent more time figuring out how I wanted the wiring. It was the first time using Bob's rusting process. first attempt was too much vinegar and the metal particles coagulated so no surface rust, just the clumps. then I tried a second time and got decent results with less vinegar, but after a bit the stuff coagulates again. The I let it sit over night, went to work, came home in the afternoon...had to take a brass wire tooth brush to it, and chip off the clumps. Note for the future...avoid the clumps! It all turned out ok, just a lot of work getting the excess off. this is how we learn things. all that's left is the squid and base. it was a fun kit to do, but I prefer a larger scale so it's easier to do wiring and lighting. I can't say I enjoyed the PE railing though, lost count of how many times I had to straighten it.
after the squid I can get back to my 31" Disney. I bought a second one of those from Mr. Martin with the full salon pkg. I'll take several months doing that one as I plan to keep it so it's going to get every consideration.
gt:
exceptionally nice work on this alternative Nautilus design. bought one but never built it as I couldn't wrap my head around it. after building so many Brodeens, I guess I'm a snob.

pegasus10.JPGpegasus11.JPGpegasus12.JPGpegasus13.JPGpegasus14.JPGbtw Vismus...nothing wrong with preferring the Disney version, just about everyone does, including the friend I built this for...only because he wouldn't pony up for the other one. He'll see the one I'm working on once it's done...he'll want one. That's why I bought another one, I'd wager I'll end up selling him the current Disney 31incher

Re: My 31" "20,000 Leagues Under The Sea" Nautilus Build

pegasus15.JPGpegasus16.JPGpegasus17.JPGthis is what it looked like before I cleaned it up...looked like a refugee from a Russian naval base in the early 90's :lol

Last edited:
You did a killer job on this boat and expect you'll do the same on the original. The Brodeen kit needs a bit of nudging but, once done, looks amazing.
Scott Brodeen was involved in all Disney Nautilus versions and skills are reflected in the 31". I've built a good 1/2 dozen so you can take my word on it!

Tommie

Last edited:
you're most kind my friend, thank you. This is my first run at the Bob Martin rusting effect and paint. I'd guess the next will be more in tune with Bob's Video tutorial...I hope. all in all I'm happy with it. The 31" Disney I'm doing now is a Masterpiece Models supplied kit. all the small parts are awful, but I'll manage.
I did buy another from Bob and the quality is so much better. I have big expectations for the second one, which I'll keep for me. I should have it all down by then :thumbsup
You did a killer job on this boat and expect you'll do the same on the original. The Brodeen kit needs a bit of nudging but, once done, looks amazing.
Scott Brodeen was involved in all Disney Nautilus versions and skills are reflected in the 31". I've built a good 1/2 dozen so you can take my word on it!

Tommie

You know...when I started this Pegasus, I kinda had a mild "hold my nose and do it" thing going on, but once you get in there it's a really nice kit. the pieces all fit exceptionally well, flash trimming is nearly non-existent, they give you pre-cut adhesive masking for the salon windows and the two dragon eyes, and the supply a PE sheet.
If there were a larger scale of this one, with more detail, I'd get it.
all in all, :thumbsup on the 1/144 Pegasus Nautilus

Vismus,

I was searching older threads just for kix, and I happened upon the one where you shortened the wheel house and added raker arch all across the top of it. It was of course a double take looking at it, but the more you look at it, the more attractive it is. I like it, a lot! Fine job sir :thumbsup

Hey Timey,
you haven't posted anything lately, what's up? It's starting to feel like a few of us hijacked your thread :( what's the latest brother?
I sent that last picture I took to Masterpiece Models, pointing out the gap at the wheelhouse end, and they replied, "Looks like it fits as it should." I replied back with a photo of the 11' miniature, pointing out that the gap doesn't exist in any reference I can find (including the full size exterior set) - but I acknowledged that if the kit was designed like that, there's nothing they can do for me now. It won't be an enormous amount of work to extend it at that end, I just wish I didn't have to do it - it looks weird with that gap.

In other news, in a moment of incredible clumsiness, I snapped off (and lost) the tiny handles on the already painted and installed 3D printed dive levers. So I just ordered another set.

ok, aside from making a base to house the battery and switch, this boat is finished. pegasus18.JPGpegasus19.JPGpegsus20.JPGpegasus21.JPGpegasus22.JPGand I can get back to the Disney 31" project :thumbsup ...and yes, I need to hide the wires yet...

Last edited:
This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back