Böker grips color

augofett

Sr Member
Is there any direct evidence (other than scans/publicity shots) that the grips are painted green?

Last edited:
Looks pretty green in all the screencaps.

There is a green light in this scene, yes, but you can also see the blade of the Boker, which is clearly black against the green handle.

dredd2012-3104.jpg

I also question the green color, I'm also seeing green in the gloves.....nobody has questioned those being black. Fact is, different surfaces reflect light differently. Some surfaces, like water reflecting the color of the sky, are better than others at this. I'm not saying it isn't green, but the blade is not conclusive evidence because it might not reflect the same wavelengths as easily. I'd like to see a clear pic showing no other surface nearby reflecting green and a clearly green knife. Fact is, because other nearby belt items are, in fact green, that items (med kit) color can also reflect green. Lots of people don't look good wearing green because it seems to cast a sallow reflection on people's skin as well. Does anyone know from observations of the screen used knife, if green is correct? I've seen screen caps that seem to show grey or almost black, as well.:confused By the way, my screen shows a slight green cast on the vest buckle too, granted, not as pronounced, but it does muddy the waters.

Green looks correct for Dredd's knife at the very least, based on this small area where you can see the green paint has worn down to the original black finish.

Another image leads me to believe that Lex had a black knife, but then his clip was also oriented different, and he wears it at a different place on his belt.

wornoff.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

And yes, the gloves and buckle have a green appearance specifically because almost every scene in the movie has a green or yellow light being shown on the actors.

If you want to get extra bizarre, some of the auction items such as stunt gloves and boot toes were actually PAINTED green. What fun!

Wow... I would have bet they were standard dark gray "tinted" green by light... On that picture seems they painted over the screws.
So, olive drab is the way to go?
Another image leads me to believe that Lex had a black knife, but then his clip was also oriented different, and he wears it at a different place on his belt.
Could you post a screen cap?

By the way, thanks for the info!

Olive drab is the way to go. Or a very similar color that makes you happy, but OD was quoted by a member of the crew. The photo you see above is one of the actual knives from the movie. It's a solid cast of a Boker with a non-working blade.

I can't say for sure about Lex's blade. But I know the other judges were green, so if his is black, maybe they just forgot to paint it. Or maybe Lex just does things his own way.

Thanks Max...Your spot on about the boker being one of the actual knives and a solid cast with non working blade too.

Lex also wears his knife behind his medpack, with the clip oriented different than it is on any other knife.

Whatever. He does what he wants.

No worries!

I spotted it randomly and did a double take. I had to make the picture with the red box for myself haha.

Thanks to everyone for the finally convincing evidence....especially the prop team statements via Max. I also noted in one closeup pic where you can see the three holes nearest the pivot pin are either not cast well or are actually partly filled with paint. I'm still undecided if I want to paint mine, cast it and paint the cast, or leave it black. It is a little odd that the paint used is different than the grenade. Oh the odd choices made by the prop folks!:wacko

The member that bought the Janus suit with knife posted a really clear pic of this knife. It is a really subdued OD color....almost gray to the eye with a hint of green. It looks like consistency is not the prop makers strong suit as some knives were painted with the hinge pivot screw in place and the Janus Boker has a clearly black screw. Incidentally, the knife clip was painted black but much of the black paint was worn off during production use. When you paint metal without etching or using a good primer it chips off quickly. Who knows, there may even be unpainted black knives used by some judges.

Bear in mind, the Janus costume was more of a background costume, at least as evidenced by the style and quality of some of the other items on it (like the mag holders).

Absolutely. Everything on the Janus suit- while a good representation of the hero suits- is more of a background/stunt grade.

Though, I suppose you could argue that there were nearly as many background suits as hero suits, and therefore either would technically be accurate to reproduce.

Just my 2¢

Very generous of you Zed!
the knife clip was painted black but much of the black paint was worn off during production use
The clip is already black on the Böker. It was distressed by the production. Also note how they fixed it with that ugly screw!
Very weird they rubbed off the Böker logo, but in the movie you can clearly see it on the Anderson´s one closeup.
By the way, are those grips really painted???

Ps: could you post some opend knife pictures? :)

Last edited:
ZedR - I agree. I think there is no question that a background suit is still screen accurate. They appeared onscreen after all!
I've now started to make distinctions between "screen accurate" and "hero accurate". It was the Dredd costume research that started it. I began to notice that they did things for Karl and Olivia's costumes that I can find almost nowhere else (like the padding on the palms of their gloves).

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back