1/2700 Star Destoyer on the kitchen table

looks fantastic! You nailed the Tantive! The shots from underneath when lit are awesome. That's a show winner man! :thumbsup I have a Tantive as well, came with other stuff in the set, but I can't use it on this one as that would be as you've done, ANH, where as I went for the ESB. I'm still going to put the imperial shuttle on a wire or something as it was just leaving the main hangar. I want to see the trophy when you get it...and I said when, NOT if :thumbsup
Finishing details complete with the Tantive IV docked in the hangar bay and some tie fighters exiting both trench hangars........Shout out to Ross for supplying me with the Tie fighters!! Thanks!!

View attachment 803896 View attachment 803897 View attachment 803898 View attachment 803899 View attachment 803900 View attachment 803901 View attachment 803902 View attachment 803904 View attachment 803905 View attachment 803906 View attachment 803907 View attachment 803908

Thanks buddy.....Gus from Falcon 3D sent me the Tantive with the hangar bay. If you didn't permanently glue the falcon on the command tower you a can always switch them out. The Tantive is not permanently glued on mine. Noreastcon 47 is next month so I hope it does well. I had a second plaque made up that reads "The Empire Strikes Back" instead of "A New Hope" because I was undecided which one I was going for.

looks fantastic! You nailed the Tantive! The shots from underneath when lit are awesome. That's a show winner man! :thumbsup I have a Tantive as well, came with other stuff in the set, but I can't use it on this one as that would be as you've done, ANH, where as I went for the ESB. I'm still going to put the imperial shuttle on a wire or something as it was just leaving the main hangar. I want to see the trophy when you get it...and I said when, NOT if :thumbsup

Finishing details complete with the Tantive IV docked in the hangar bay and some tie fighters exiting both trench hangars........Shout out to Ross for supplying me with the Tie fighters!! Thanks!!

View attachment 803896 View attachment 803897 View attachment 803898 View attachment 803899 View attachment 803900 View attachment 803901 View attachment 803902 View attachment 803904 View attachment 803905 View attachment 803906 View attachment 803907 View attachment 803908

Really wonderful updates Scott . Whole heartedly agree with Ross - the lighting in and around your bays are giving off just enough light to contrast the ships bathed in it ... beautifully :love

Thanks for sharing , and good luck at displaying her at your convention !

:cheersGed

Hey Ged, did you see the pics of Scott's NCC 1701 refit? unbelievable work, absolutely beautiful ship! :thumbsup
Really wonderful updates Scott . Whole heartedly agree with Ross - the lighting in and around your bays are giving off just enough light to contrast the ships bathed in it ... beautifully :love

Thanks guys for the compliments on the Hangar Bay!!!

The hangar bay light are dimmed considerably. I have them dimmed to 25% on a 10 volt power supply. I put separate dimmers on the hangar bay, main lights and engines figuring they may be too bright. The main lights and hangar bay are dimmed to 25% while I have the engines running at 100% I can up the brightness at the show when the overhead lights are bright and dim back down to 25% when showing off in low light. That needs to be considered when lighting these ships.

s-l1600b.jpg 20180131_075558.jpg 20180131_075547smaller.jpg

Now THAT was awesome fore thought on your part, I never would have thought of it :wacko :lol
Thanks guys for the compliments on the Hangar Bay!!!

The hangar bay light are dimmed considerably. I have them dimmed to 25% on a 10 volt power supply. I put separate dimmers on the hangar bay, main lights and engines figuring they may be too bright. The main lights and hangar bay are dimmed to 25% while I have the engines running at 100% I can up the brightness at the show when the overhead lights are bright and dim back down to 25% when showing off in low light. That needs to be considered when lighting these ships.

View attachment 803983 View attachment 803984 View attachment 803985

Lovely follow up photos Scott , thanks for sharing :p

I’d like to know if possible please , the more ‘ prominent ‘ lighting as seen approximately midway down the side trenches in pic.#4 what did you use , and are they meant to resemble floodlights as seen on some film reference stills ?

Hi Ged........Those are 0402 cool white micro SMDs

https://www.ebay.com/itm/10PCS-Pre-...752376?hash=item1c5f58ff78:g:~y8AAOSwqrtWneLx

After I closed the hull up I seen pictures where I they should have been spread out in 3 or 4 spots along the trenches on both sides. Not so accurate but it looks alright. I was following along robiwan's Star Destroyer build and he had those 0402 SMDs in those 2 spots and I did the same. There was so much to do that slipped by. Some SD's have them and some don't. I can turn those lights off if I want to.

https://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=271362&page=7

A super cut clip of SDs from the various Star Wars movies. Some have the lighting and some don't. See 8:19 and you can see 4 or 5 accent or spot lights along the trench

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YW0kuf2Lx-Q

Lovely follow up photos Scott , thanks for sharing :p

I’d like to know if possible please , the more ‘ prominent ‘ lighting as seen approximately midway down the side trenches in pic.#4 what did you use , and are they meant to resemble floodlights as seen on some film reference stills ?

Last edited:
Hey there brother, it's been a week or two...what's next on the agenda for you? I've been putting pieces together for my Echo Base dio. Have you decided to take a break? My wife wishes I would, so I can work down her list of honey-dos, which I've pecked away at, but I still need my table time. Holler when you can, and don't forget to take a post pics of that show of yours that's coming up :thumbsup

Hi Ross, the Noreastcon show is in 2 weeks April 27th & 28th. I will take some pictures of the show and post. I took a break since the finish of the SD and will resume after the show. Probably do a few small builds followed by another bigger lighted one..........

Hey there brother, it's been a week or two...what's next on the agenda for you? I've been putting pieces together for my Echo Base dio. Have you decided to take a break? My wife wishes I would, so I can work down her list of honey-dos, which I've pecked away at, but I still need my table time. Holler when you can, and don't forget to take a post pics of that show of yours that's coming up :thumbsup

Another amazing job! This looks like a studio shooting model!

Thank you guys I really appreciate it!!

It would not have been as good and as fun to build without all the input and ideas from everyone on this thread.

Escape does some fantastic work, his NCC-1701 refit is incredible as well. Award winning builder, and I'm sure his ISD will be no different! :thumbsup

Another amazing job! This looks like a studio shooting model!

Scott it was great seeing your SD at the Noreastcon today. Nice meeting a fellow nut who gets just as enthusiastic about model making as I do. It really is superb and my prediction is that your taking the Gold baby!
A lot of old guys there....though that one kid we saw eyes just lit up when he had seen the SD fully lighted.
Cheers!

Thanks your kind comments NYY27. Like wise meeting you.......I had a lot of fun over the 2 day event. Unfortunately my SD came in second place. A lot of nicely built and painted models were entered in all the categories.

Here are a few pictures from the show. The kit that won is the Moebius Battlestar Galactica Cylon Raider(Bottom Left first picture)

20180428_105115Smaller.jpg 20180428_105001Smaller.jpg 20180428_104954Smaller.jpg 20180428_104940Smaller.jpg

Scott it was great seeing your SD at the Noreastcon today. Nice meeting a fellow nut who gets just as enthusiastic about model making as I do. It really is superb and my prediction is that your taking the Gold baby!
A lot of old guys there....though that one kid we saw eyes just lit up when he had seen the SD fully lighted.
Cheers!

seriously?! I mean, that Excelsior class ship is pretty nice, BUT, you mean the silver looking "non lit" thing at the bottom left? That's BS. However, congrats on the second place...but you clearly should have won. JMO
Thanks your kind comments NYY27. Like wise meeting you.......I had a lot of fun over the 2 day event. Unfortunately my SD came in second place. A lot of nicely built and painted models were entered in all the categories.

Here are a few pictures from the show. The kit that won is the Moebius Battlestar Galactica Cylon Raider(Bottom Left first picture)

View attachment 813926 View attachment 813927 View attachment 813928 View attachment 813929

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back