Silver Surfer

A proper Silver Surfer film.. my dream if spoken too loud will blow away with the wind.
I just hope they follow the old lore and not the new comic with a companion with him like Dr Who, that would be just my luck.
I want his story told right. SS is my favorite comic character. The self sacrifice, ****** like, the guilt, the loneliness, the power cosmic, the freedom
to soar the space ways!, the epic battles seeped in Kirby Krackle, the poetic speeches!
Toss in a bit of Joe Satriani I'll be in heaven. Sigh, but now I have written too much and no doubt doomed because I dare imagine it.

I just hope they follow the old lore and not the new comic with a companion with him like Dr Who, that would be just my luck.
I want his story told right.

I wouldn't worry. The film/TV and the comic divisions are separate business entities, run by different people with their own histories and agendas. Kevin Fiege, who runs Marvel Studios, has been doing an excellent job, IMO. He gets the characters and the lore and the epicness of it all, and there have only been a couple of missteps in nearly twenty films so far. Meanwhile, there's a lot of good talent at Marvel Comics, but the guy calling the shots is a bit of a jerk who is jealous of the movies' success and has been working to undermine the MCU for the last several years (Cap really being a HYDRA sleeper agent all this time, anybody...?), and anything really good that has come out of the comics division in the recent past has been almost more accident (or, really, an editor who cares more about the story than pleasing their boss). I actually love the new Star Wars comics. And Ms. Marvel is great. So it's not all bad. The cringe seems to be mostly when it comes to the old icons and how they're being treated.

Start spitballing dream casting, writer(s), and director. :)

I wouldn't worry. The film/TV and the comic divisions are separate business entities, run by different people with their own histories and agendas. Kevin Fiege, who runs Marvel Studios, has been doing an excellent job, IMO. He gets the characters and the lore and the epicness of it all, and there have only been a couple of missteps in nearly twenty films so far. Meanwhile, there's a lot of good talent at Marvel Comics, but the guy calling the shots is a bit of a jerk who is jealous of the movies' success and has been working to undermine the MCU for the last several years (Cap really being a HYDRA sleeper agent all this time, anybody...?), and anything really good that has come out of the comics division in the recent past has been almost more accident (or, really, an editor who cares more about the story than pleasing their boss). I actually love the new Star Wars comics. And Ms. Marvel is great. So it's not all bad. The cringe seems to be mostly when it comes to the old icons and how they're being treated.

Start spitballing dream casting, writer(s), and director. :)
Remember this is currently being developed by FOX, not Feige. Feige has nothing to do with this project.

Remember this is currently being developed by FOX, not Feige. Feige has nothing to do with this project.

I hadn't seen much clarity on that front. Mostly rumor and speculation. Given that a lot of Fox assets are now controlled by Disney; given that Galactus and the Silver Surfer have been rumored to be appearing in Infinity War and/or Avengers 4; given that Sony has been consulted in Civil War and Infinity War, and was a lot more involved in Homecoming, because they still actually own the Spider-Man rights package, even if they're letting Marvel Studios take the lead... I find it not unreasonable to presume this is going forward with Fox, but not only Fox. Especially given how badly Fox's last attempt at the FF was received, I think they'd be idiots to not at least ask Marvel Studios for help.

ETA: Yes, I read the article, and yes I know the merger isn't final, and yes I know people at Fox are going ahead like the deal won't go through, but two things on that: 1) I don't see Marvel Studios as having any plans to introduce mutants to the MCU any time soon, so they'd be likely to let Fox proceed with that as a separate universe anyway. They're popular, they've ironed out a lot of the kinks, and they're making money. 2) Fox has proved they're capable of learning from their missteps, unlike WB and their attempts at a DCCU. Sony was doing okay with their Spider-Man films, but they still approached Marvel Studios to ask about joint development. So I have a hard time believing the folks at Fox working on Silver Surfer and Doctor Doom are truly utterly unworried that they might not know the best way to tell an FF or FF-related story. So my instinct is they're either lying to reporters in order to keep their jobs, or they're morons. I'm trying to give them the benefit of the doubt, here, though their apparently thinking FantFourStic was good and worth releasing does make me question their judgment...

Last edited:
This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back