Blade Runner 2049 Officer K badge wallet

I wouldn't feel too bad. Even the people selling these things have no idea of even what voltage they run on. I've asked several and I can't get an answer.

I wouldn't feel too bad. Even the people selling these things have no idea of even what voltage they run on. I've asked several and I can't get an answer.
The 5s backlight that has the 3 contacts on the ribbon cable runs at 12V. There are 8 LEDs arranged in 2 series strings of 4 LEDs (all the 'odd' LEDs and all the 'even' LEDs) - the strings have a common positive connection and separate negative connections. With the backlight facing you and the ribbon cable at the bottom it forms a sort of squashed 'L' shape. From left to right the contacts on the connector should be:
1 = +12V
2 = Gnd (string 1)
3 = Gnd (string 2)
Here's the schematic:
5sbl.png

The bigger 6s backlight is very different in that it has more pins on the connector, more LEDs (12) and the 2 strings are split unequally - one has 6 LEDs and runs at 18V, the other has 4 LEDs and runs at 12V.

Last edited:
The 5s backlight that has the 3 contacts on the ribbon cable runs at 12V. There are 8 LEDs arranged in 2 series strings of 4 LEDs (all the 'odd' LEDs and all the 'even' LEDs) - the strings have a common positive connection and separate negative connections. With the backlight facing you and the ribbon cable at the bottom it forms a sort of squashed 'L' shape. From left to right the contacts on the connector should be:
1 = +12V
2 = Gnd (string 1)
3 = Gnd (string 2)

The bigger 6s backlight is very different in that it has more pins on the connector, more LEDs (12) and the 2 strings are split unequally - one has 6 LEDs and runs at 18V, the other has 4 LEDs and runs at 12V.

I need to run that through Google Translate... Too bad Radio Shack shut down.

Last edited:
MAJSmith, can you confirm what size wallet and video greeting card you used here? I just received Gekko's badge and this looks like a good match for the size.

Sure thing. This is the Duty Leather wallet from www.badgeandwallet.com. Cut to fit the LAPD-style badge. The ID window listed as 3” x 4 ½” and the actual size of the visible window (plastic) is 2 ¾” by 4 ⅜”.

I used these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B073...etings+4.3&dpPl=1&dpID=41BZ9ppKzKL&ref=plSrch

It was just a coincidence that it fit perfectly. I did some measurements and took a shot in the dark.

Let me know if this link doesn’t work.

Thanks! I'm still waffling about whether to try and use an EL panel or the greeting card LCD. The prop looks like it uses some kind of EL panel, but rigging it with a power supply that fits inside of the wallet seems like a challenge. I thought that the greeting card LCD was a more self-contained option but it looks like there are a bunch of electronics beyond just the screen itself and the battery, so maybe it's not as obvious of a solution as I had thought.

I ordered the wallet, so I'll keep researching solutions and following along with other builds. Thanks!

Thanks! I'm still waffling about whether to try and use an EL panel or the greeting card LCD. The prop looks like it uses some kind of EL panel, but rigging it with a power supply that fits inside of the wallet seems like a challenge. I thought that the greeting card LCD was a more self-contained option but it looks like there are a bunch of electronics beyond just the screen itself and the battery, so maybe it's not as obvious of a solution as I had thought.

I ordered the wallet, so I'll keep researching solutions and following along with other builds. Thanks!

Take a look at the beginning of the thread. I think I photographed the screens as they come. If not, I’ll do it when I get home. The components don’t come as pictured. Mine were hot-glued to a paper card which was hot-glued to the back of the screen. The speaker (which I just broke off because it’s not needed) and the micro USB port were the only loose parts of the set-up. For the badge, I repositioned the USB port and electrical taped the back just to protect the wires. It’s a little thick, but it’ll fit in the ID section of the wallet.

Also, they have amazing customer service, so if you know what you want, just call them and they’ll help you. I highly recommend them.

Take a look at the beginning of the thread. I think I photographed the screens as they come. If not, I’ll do it when I get home. The components don’t come as pictured. Mine were hot-glued to a paper card which was hot-glued to the back of the screen. The speaker (which I just broke off because it’s not needed) and the micro USB port were the only loose parts of the set-up. For the badge, I repositioned the USB port and electrical taped the back just to protect the wires. It’s a little thick, but it’ll fit in the ID section of the wallet.

Also, they have amazing customer service, so if you know what you want, just call them and they’ll help you. I highly recommend them.

Ah, gotcha. Well, I just came across this listing on Amazon for a cheap EL panel and controller, so I may play around with that first. With the badge and wallet I'm already $60 deep in this project, so if I can avoid spending another $50 on an LCD screen I wouldn't mind that too much.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IMYHWWA/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A3ITJ2XHPQ52P4&psc=1

Here's my V1 using an EL panel. Panel needs trimmed, ID badge is not finished and needs enlarged, plastic sleeve is just cut from a polythene ziplock bag and glued under the frames using E6000.

I'll wait and see how your final LCDs turn out before I go that route :)
http://i678.photobucket.com/albums/vv142/kurtyboy2/props2/badge closed.jpg

http://i678.photobucket.com/albums/vv142/kurtyboy2/props2/badge off.jpg

http://i678.photobucket.com/albums/vv142/kurtyboy2/props2/badge on.jpg

http://i678.photobucket.com/albums/vv142/kurtyboy2/props2/badge on dark.jpg

What type of battery is that you're using to power the screen?

Due to the terrible weather and the eventual arrival of my reed switch, I was able to make some progress with mine today.
I'd previously routed out some pockets in the back of the badge to hold a couple of CR2032a and the 3V to 12v convertet. i had also made some battery contacts out of shim brass. Today I needed to make a pocket for the reed switch and finish off the wiring:
badge_back.jpg
The two cells are connected by a brass shim busbar that screws into the post between them and also holds them in place. The reed switch is a Normally Closed type, that opens in the presence of a magnet. The magnet is a slim neodymium one that is taped to the lower edge of the backlight panel in the ID side of the wallet - when the wallet is closed it then opens the reed switch and disconnects the battery positive connection. The thin grey ribbon cable is soldered to pins 1 (+12V) and 3 (Ground for string 1) on the tiny edge connector of the backlight panel.

With the badge in place, it looks like this:
wallet_open.jpg
the ribbon cable will be stuck down and painted when I finish it off. The ID was another file I found though Google that seems to be a little more accurate, laser printed onto an OHP transparency and taped to the edged of the backlight with clear vinyl (I could do with finding a better resolution printer though). The magnet is there to keep it turned off while I was taking the photo, as it's bright enough to overload the CCD on my camera.
id_lit.jpg
this was taken using my phone, which adjusted the exposure that much the surroundings were turned black (this was taken with the living room ceiling light on). It's 'acceptably bright', I'd say.

the final step will be to do the vinyl cover. I orderd a couple of clear PVC swatches (0.35mm and 0.5mm) and decided the 0.35mm is the one to use. I also need to do some tests with different adhesives to see which one will stick it to leather.

Last edited:
Beautiful! You are a true artist. Can you post the link to the Google image? Also, how are you going to attached the clear plastic wrap on the wallet?

Beautiful! You are a true artist. Can you post the link to the Google image? Also, how are you going to attached the clear plastic wrap on the wallet?
PMed you about the image. I'm going to glue the PVC on under the open ends of the inner panels. want to try a few different adhesives to see what's best - I've got the PVC sampls and the cutout of tthe badge to test it on. I'm going to try leather glue, contact cement, superglue and I've got a friend in the 501st so I'll borrow his E6000 to try that too..

That looks like the same image from the etsy listing that I think a lot of folks are using. Did you find a different image?

PMed you about the image. I'm going to glue the PVC on under the open ends of the inner panels. want to try a few different adhesives to see what's best - I've got the PVC sampls and the cutout of tthe badge to test it on. I'm going to try leather glue, contact cement, superglue and I've got a friend in the 501st so I'll borrow his E6000 to try that too..

Thanks! That’s Birdie’s image on Etsy, but Birdie is in the UK and Etsy says this guy’s in Detroit. He may have swiped the image from Birdie.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back