Bandai 1/72 PG Millennium Falcon (also the Revell Germany rebox)

Re: Bandai 1/72 Millennium Falcon

More magnificent molding from Bandai:

https://twitter.com/HobbySite/status/897367275480563712

DHORns_U0AAJvy0.jpg

Man, really? The get the details of this section so good - the PE-parts seem to become redundant, because they will never get the angle of grid-stripes...

Daaaaaaaammmm. I concur, I like that even better than the PE. The problem with PE is that it doesn't replicate the raised ribbing of Koolshade. It's even more pronounced on the six engine vents. The PE is flat, but the Koolshade has distinct raised lines connecting the mesh. EDIT: Ah, others are thinking the same thing.

Daaaaaaaammmm. I concur, I like that even better than the PE. The problem with PE is that it doesn't replicate the raised ribbing of Koolshade. It's even more pronounced on the six engine vents. The PE is flat, but the Koolshade has distinct raised lines connecting the mesh. EDIT: Ah, others are thinking the same thing.
the 4 layer photoetch engine vents that greenstrawberry did for the 1/144 falcon was brilliant

I think the raised look of the koolshade on the pre molded parts is very nice but trying to get paint in there may be difficult without it pooling up. at least with the PE you can add it on after the paint is on the holes area. I will definatly go with the better looking option, which ever one it may be.

My etch design isn't a perfect representation of Koolshade, but I had the louvres half etched to emulate at least some level of three dimensionality.
I have to say, the moulded version looks superb, the way the light will hit it....far more accurate

Lovely....they are really building up the excitement for this kit.....doing it better than LFL are for 'The Last Jedi'

J

I wonder if they're planning on replicating the ejector pin marks and parting lines visible on the original model.

Wow, I think I will be using the plastic parts for the cockpit tube instead of the photoetch, that is simply amazing. It's going to be a tough call for the engine vents since I like the see through look for the fans, but can't see them pulling that off in plastic with the much larger diameter and not be insanely fragile

It's going to be a tough call for the engine vents since I like the see through look for the fans, but can't see them pulling that off in plastic with the much larger diameter and not be insanely fragile

Bandai does use that flexible rubbery plastic on some of its pieces, so perhaps (assuming they can get the grills thin enough) they can mold them in something less fragile.

It sure would be great if some enterprising company, like Plastruct, could manufacture and market various scales of Koolshade. I know I'd buy a bunch.

I've been thinking about the missing blast hole on the starboard docking ring. And I'm wondering if perhaps it's because it's not possible to mould.

The top deck saucer damage is easy enough - it's just holes in a surface. But with the ring you have the basic problem of overhangs (undercuts) in the injection-moulded parts. Bandai are remarkable wizards at injection engineering, but perhaps the side-pull needed for a docking ring undercut was too complex or expensive.

Next parts I want to see are the grids for the 6 engine-vents compared to the PE...

Judging by this photo they appear to be finely detailed, showing the angle of the louvered wires. But no openings, and no simulated woven-in wires.

San-Diego-Comic-Con-2017-Bandai-Hobby-004.jpg

Lovely....they are really building up the excitement for this kit.....doing it better than LFL are for 'The Last Jedi'

J

It is odd, ain't it? We're four months away from the movie's release and there's only been one teaser trailer and maybe a handful of magazine articles. Weird.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back