Wonder Woman (2017) Cloak

Ooooh! I didn't know Fabric Empire sold on Amazon (and lower price is a bonus too). Did you like the texture/look of the Mongolian sheep? It seems like a mix of the alpaca texture and regular Mongolian fiber quality, which is ideal. But I never got a swatch of it since it didn't come in black on their main website.

it seems that the only sell a limited supply on amazon unfortunately! I looooved the Mongolian sheep. I dyed my swatch but it gotta really gross and didnt take to the dye enough. My fabric should arrive on Friday so I can update you then if it's worth it! I think it was worth the risk for $15

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

it seems that the only sell a limited supply on amazon unfortunately! I looooved the Mongolian sheep. I dyed my swatch but it gotta really gross and didnt take to the dye enough. My fabric should arrive on Friday so I can update you then if it's worth it! I think it was worth the risk for $15

Awesome! That would be great. I'll probably eventually get a swatch of the brown like you did, just to see the fibers at least, but in the meantime it would definitely be nice to know how the fabric is in black.

MY FABRIC ARRIVED!
b6cc883e86d0c7789c6b518bca8e3758.jpg
3e0fa1c1984c0f8362f859eed48f39ab.jpg
b38665d3d7a4a0157eba470afab766db.jpg
5a88fb5a72adf303bc634dae5001f5bd.jpg

it came pretty smoothed out, but I think if I fluff it out it's going to be perfect (especially for $15!)

hopefully I'll be finishing this up this week! Right now I'm planning on cutting my trim to be 6 inches wide so that there will be 3 inches of fur on the outside and on the inside

all that's left is to add the fur and hem the cloak!

Last edited:
MY FABRIC ARRIVED!
it came pretty smoothed out, but I think if I fluff it out it's going to be perfect (especially for $15!)

It looks great! I'll definitely have to swatch it, because now I really want to see it in person (especially after seeing that swatch on your cloak - wow!).

I'm thinking 3 inch wide trim. do you all agree?

3" looks good to me. Depending on how fluffy the fur is once it's brushed out, I'd probably go with 3-4". In some photos, each side of the arm holes look like the trim is narrower than on the center front, and at the bottom edge of the armhole where the trim meets back up with itself it looks about the same width as the center front. If you're doing 3" on the center front, maybe 1.5" or 2" on each side of the arm holes so it's still 3-4" total and matches the overall appearance of the rest? But in other photos each side of the arm hole trim looks wider/fluffier, so then 3" on each side would probably be fine there too.

Edit: Just saw your latest post. (Don't know how I missed that. :facepalm ) 6" total for 3" each on the inside and outside is a good idea. I don't have any really clear photos of the inside edges, and I meant to pay closer attention to details like that last time I saw the movie, but those measurements and having it wrap around to the inside make the most sense. Let me know what you do with applying the trim to the inside of the collar seam, because in photos it looks like a continuous strip from the center front up into the collar, but I can't figure out how to have the trim wrap around the front edge and lay flat inside the collar and still look correct.

Last edited:
It looks great! I'll definitely have to swatch it, because now I really want to see it in person (especially after seeing that swatch on your cloak - wow!).

3" looks good to me. Depending on how fluffy the fur is once it's brushed out, I'd probably go with 3-4". In some photos, each side of the arm holes look like the trim is narrower than on the center front, and at the bottom edge of the armhole where the trim meets back up with itself it looks about the same width as the center front. If you're doing 3" on the center front, maybe 1.5" or 2" on each side of the arm holes so it's still 3-4" total and matches the overall appearance of the rest? But in other photos each side of the arm hole trim looks wider/fluffier, so then 3" on each side would probably be fine there too.

Edit: Just saw your latest post. (Don't know how I missed that. :facepalm ) 6" total for 3" each on the inside and outside is a good idea. I don't have any really clear photos of the inside edges, and I meant to pay closer attention to details like that last time I saw the movie, but those measurements and having it wrap around to the inside make the most sense. Let me know what you do with applying the trim to the inside of the collar seam, because in photos it looks like a continuous strip from the center front up into the collar, but I can't figure out how to have the trim wrap around the front edge and lay flat inside the collar and still look correct.

I've been having the same debate! the picture I've been using for my main reference has the trims looking about equal. I'm gonna probably test both 1.5 inches and 3 inches and see if there is a difference in how comfortable it is/if the extra fur makes a difference in how warm the cloak is! I doubt that it's going to make a difference, but anything to make this cloak more wearable

a53af2c1b568dc164543d316ab3b3b06.jpg
8c93d55d3418b7c6869e13de3b6a70ed.jpg
6960228956829fe43c7ea1ae52051ecc.jpg

some progress pictures! for the front of the cloak I did cut 6 inch strips of fabric so that there would be 3 inches of fabric on each side. I think I am going to do 3 inch strips for the sleeve openings since I think the 6 inch strips would be too thick

Last edited:
d6ccb4cd1341556b863828aaa47376ae.jpg
and she's done!

a couple of tips i have for finishing this off
-sew very slowly. there's a lot of material and pins hide in the fur!
- sew the fur trim for the arm openings into a loop and then attach them to the openings
- let the cape hang for a couple days before you hem it. it's so heavy that my fabric has stretched a bit
-ADD THE HIDDEN POCKET! seriously my hidden pocket is my favorite part of this cloak
-have your vacuum near. my place is covered in fur [emoji854]

The cloak looks great, FutureDeity. I'm glad to have found this thread, sorry to dig up an old post.

I have to sew up this cloak! Anyone else able to sketch out how they think the movie cloak is crafted?

Last edited:
The cloak looks great, FutureDeity. I'm glad to have found this thread, sorry to dig up an old post.

I have to sew up this cloak! Anyone else able to sketch out how they think the movie cloak is crafted?

thank you!!! I’m not sure if anyone has figured that out, but I do know a couple other Amazon’s have made cloaks building off of this thread. I’d recommend asking in one of the Amazon Sister facebook groups!

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back