Doctor Doom

Love the character and would love to see something cinematic that does him justice. However, as much as I love Hawley's Fargo, beyond that, he's only done Legion and that show, for lack of a better word, sucked. And Fox/Sony has a really spotty run right now.

Cautiously optimistic with a heavy emphasis on "cautious".

Love the character and would love to see something cinematic that does him justice. However, as much as I love Hawley's Fargo, beyond that, he's only done Legion and that show, for lack of a better word, sucked. And Fox/Sony has a really spotty run right now.

Cautiously optimistic with a heavy emphasis on "cautious".

I liked Legion, but I generally enjoy the whole unreliable narrator thing more than most. Fargo is also good... I just have zero faith in Fox films in its handling of superhero properties.

Ugh.

"Legion" held the crown as worst thing I've wasted several hours of my life on on TV recently, until I watched the third season of "Fargo." I'd never watched the first two seasons but after hearing how great it was from everyone, including my wife, I gave the third season a try...and I won't ever be tuning in again. That thing was the most God-awful borefest, since, well..."Legion."

So yeah...I've got zero faith in Hawley's ability to create anything that will remotely entertain me.

Ugh.

"Legion" held the crown as worst thing I've wasted several hours of my life on on TV recently, until I watched the third season of "Fargo." I'd never watched the first two seasons but after hearing how great it was from everyone, including my wife, I gave the third season a try...and I won't ever be tuning in again. That thing was the most God-awful borefest, since, well..."Legion."

So yeah...I've got zero faith in Hawley's ability to create anything that will remotely entertain me.

I've zero faith in him outside of Fargo, and it's a shame you started with the third series of that show as I think it's the weakest of the three seasons so far. The first two are genuinely good, with the second one, I think, being the best.

I liked Legion, but I generally enjoy the whole unreliable narrator thing more than most...

I get that but I didn't think the writing of the show could support it. It was as limp and dull as the performances the actors were putting out. The show had some neat production design and the visuals were a draw but that can carry a show only so far.

I still think Doom is a really great character who is relatable in many ways. I just hope that this film truly is about him, and not yet another Fantastic Four reboot.

I like the character,but how and above all why would you make a movie revolving around a villain as the main character?
Usually the main character is the hero,taking on the villain; not the other way around.I find that weird.
Anyway,curious to see what they come up with.I already liked the first Fantastic Four and the special effects have improved considerably since then.

I'm up for a Doctor Doom movie as long as they've got the character right. If they ever push through with this, this would mean that we might get a Fantastic Four reboot too. If that's the case, I hope they go the Spider-Man route and just skip the origin. Probably some flashbacks, but that's it. But all sugarcoating aside, we all know that it's Fox's attempt to keep their film rights away from Marvel, unless I'm wrong about that

I was praying that Fox secretly exchanged FF for X-Men TV rights with Marvel Studios.
I was praying that FF would be revealed in Infinity War.
This would argue against that.
This is why the news saddens me.

- - - Updated - - -

I like the character,but how and above all why would you make a movie revolving around a villain as the main character?
Usually the main character is the hero,taking on the villain; not the other way around.I find that weird.
Anyway,curious to see what they come up with.I already liked the first Fantastic Four and the special effects have improved considerably since then.
DD is a deep character with great history. Of all villains he's one you can definitely craft an entire movie around.

I don't know, this project sounds doomed from the start.

Star-Trek.gif

comicbookmovie.con is s***-tier garbage now.

Take this with several truckloads of salt.

https://observer.com/2018/03/legion-fargo-noah-hawley-talks-doctor-doom-film-disney-fox-sale/

From the article:

“As with Legion, my thought was that the [superhero] genre has a certain kind of movie covered, but what else can the genre do,” Hawley told Observer. “What’s interesting to me about Doom’s character is he’s the king of an Eastern European country and is there a version of this that is more of a political thriller that mixes genre?”

The creator/showrunner pointed to a recent successful example in the Marvel Cinematic Universe (MCU) as a starting point for his own story.

“It’s something that [Captain America] Winter Soldier did really well, which was kind of make a Cold War thriller movie out of a superhero movie. This is different than that, but it does have this idea of, and I don’t want to say too much about it, but it is a mixture of genres,” he explained. “The mandate is not to re-launch the Fantastic Four franchise as much as it is to take this fascinating and under-served character and really build a movie about him where we ask the question: Is he a hero? Is he a villain? What does he really want?”

“We’re able to explore these questions in a serious way,” Hawley added.

Books of Doom and FF #247 are two stories I would point anyone to go read to understand what Doom is all about. And it's not that hard to know what he wants: power. The power to exert his will to overcome all things. First, it was to trump Reed Richards, who was the only person to ever prove him wrong, and more recently, the power to bring his mother back from the depths of Hell.

He is on one hand a dictator, but on the other, the people he rules over all love him without mass indoctrination. There was a line from the Superman cartoon in an episode where he defeats Darkseid on his homeworld, and as Superman is about to land the killing blow, his subjects run to protect Darkseid. When they carry him away, Darkseid says to Superman, "I may be many things, Kal-El, but here... I am God." That's never left me and I think that perfectly sums up Dr. Doom. Not just his relation to his people but how he sees himself, as well.

There's enough space in a modern 2+ hour movie to let the bad guy tell his side of things. That's exactly what they are doing with IW/Thanos, iirc.

Another issue is, who would be his antagonist? If not Reed Richards, then who or what? Might be too weird if it was about him saving his mom and all the devil-dealing.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back