Another Gary Kurtz lightsaber up for auction

There's a very similar piece (with similar weird looking kobold) on display at the pop culture museum in Seattle. Not sure what lineage that one has either but there were several inaccuracies on that one too.

i wonder if this is the same saber. i think Seth just visited this personally, i can't wait to see what he says oh SethS !?!

- - - Updated - - -

dang different saber... grips could be the same though....

http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=276784

Last edited by a moderator:
Agreed-- I don't think it's the same one, but made at the same time. My theory is still that Kurtz had Graflexes from the ESB prop departments that hadn't been converted fully so they could be used to make new heroes or stunts as needed. When he decided to sell them Don Bies fixed them up. I only say that cause of the similarities in parts to the Vader promo sabers we know Don made.

Agreed-- I don't think it's the same one, but made at the same time. My theory is still that Kurtz had Graflexes from the ESB prop departments that hadn't been converted fully so they could be used to make new heroes or stunts as needed. When he decided to sell them Don Bies fixed them up. I only say that cause of the similarities in parts to the Vader promo sabers we know Don made.

definitely different but probably from the same conversion, I'd agree. The one at EMP and the PIH also, coincidentally, have a lever that isnt down. Sometimes this can mean the clamp is too tight.

definitely different but probably from the same conversion, I'd agree. The one at EMP and the PIH also, coincidentally, have a lever that isnt down. Sometimes this can mean the clamp is too tight.

i always have a hard time tightening the lever to hold a clamp card in it.. i get too afraid of snapping it. when finally done i just dab a micro dab of e6000 in the track of the clamp (1 little dot) on one side and then clamp the card in.

levers scare me :$

- - - Updated - - -

YEAH WELL MAYBE YOURE TOO TIGHT **shakes fist**

I really want to know what Bies used for t-track

PM in bound

So I recently joined a Facebook group for people who collect screen used props. They've been posting links to this thing and most people just assume it's legit. And these are people in the hobby. A signed COA is all some people need to be convinced. Unbelievable.

The Gizmodo network​ is pushing this thing too and of course people are taking it at face value. There's a few people there calling it out and trying to educate folks, but it's all buried at the bottom where nobody is paying any attention.

It's so stupid. This is the umpteenth time the ONE REAL LIGHTSABER HONEST used for filming has gone up for auction. Fans have the memories of goldfish.

Shouldn't this be illegal? Then again if your foolish enough to spend that much money with out any research, shame on you I guess?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A fool & his money are soon parted
84099df31be4ff46fd2b1977dead4743.jpg
I want to make these vending machines

Isn't there a trading standards thing it can be reported to? I'm not in the US so no idea.

It's a serious amount of money and it will probably keep going up in value due to a fake provenance.

If it isn't stopped, who knows? In 50 years this could be sat in a museum as the "genuine artefact".

Isn't there a trading standards thing it can be reported to? I'm not in the US so no idea.

It's a serious amount of money and it will probably keep going up in value due to a fake provenance.

If it isn't stopped, who knows? In 50 years this could be sat in a museum as the "genuine artefact".

i have no doubt this will eventually happen, even faster then 50 years from now. i can't knock Gary too hard, i mean maybe it is all true that it is a left over flash from a box of parts. (though i seriously and honestly doubt it...) but with it changing multiple hands/auction sites. its like the game of telephone in kindergarten. the first child said it was green, and by the time it gets to the last kid the colors changed...

just like these auctions posing this as a "real left over lightsaber.."

id love to know the source of the grips though..... probably fabricated from scratch

- - - Updated - - -

if i could get the source of the grips, i'd do a fake kurtz tribute saber... and thats for real lol

So I recently joined a Facebook group for people who collect screen used props. They've been posting links to this thing and most people just assume it's legit. And these are people in the hobby. A signed COA is all some people need to be convinced. Unbelievable.

Unlike most of the members here, many of the collectors of screen used props are not truly that dedicated in finding the small details that can prove a prop is real/screen used or not. I would trust the experts here more than COAs

Unlike most of the members here, many of the collectors of screen used props are not truly that dedicated in finding the small details that can prove a prop is real/screen used or not. I would trust the experts here more than COAs

SOOOO True... they take word of mouth stories as gospel, and letters, not considering photographic and physical evidence. More like "he said this, so it must be true". When we have on record people involved in certain films contradicting themselves and the facts that you can see plain as day numerous times.

Yea these are the same pieces. No way you can precisely match these details as close as these two appear.

View attachment 731283
I agree, these are too similar to be different
top left to right - 1.......2 Red scratch marks on the T track
2.......large scratch mark on the clip holder
3.......elongated scratch mark to the right hand side of the clip holder
4.......inside the right hand elongated scratch mark another little mark
IMG_0563.JPG
Now look at the same markings on the other ( so called different saber )
IMG_0564.JPG
Check out the mark on the bunny ears
IMG_0566.JPG
Now a close up on the other saber
IMG_0570.PNG
Now look at the switch
4 marks on the switch to the top right
1 mark to the lower part of the switch with a lighter mark in the middle of it
check the mark on the tube lower down than the switch
IMG_0576.JPG
Now check the other marks on the other saber
IMG_0577.JPG
Now check the marks on the tube near the end
IMG_0580.JPGIMG_0584.JPG
I'm sorry but there to to many similarities to say the are different just 6 years apart and different pictures but to me the same

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back