Star Wars: The Last Jedi (Post-release)

What did you think of Star Wars: The Last Jedi?

• It was great. Loved it. Don't miss it at the theaters.

Votes: 154 26.6%
  • It was good. Liked it very much. Worth the theater visit.

Votes: 135 23.4%
  • It was okay. Not too pleased with it. Could watch it at the cinema once or wait for home video.

Votes: 117 20.2%
  • It was disappointing. Watch it on home video instead.

Votes: 70 12.1%
  • It was bad. Don't waste your time with it.

Votes: 102 17.6%

• Total voters
Personally, i did enjoy the movie, it was entertaining, but the same thing has been done to it, as has been done to star trek. It has been dumbed down for a new audience. A lot of the 'that is not possible in this universe' have been ignored in order to advance the plot in both franchises księgowa Jelenia Góra.

Last edited by a moderator:
I never understood why puppet. They made so many advances in the PT to develop a pretty good CGI Yoda, why revert back to a puppet. That, honestly, did not look that good

Whybdid they use a Yoda puppet? Because they had Frank Oz on set to do the performance alongside Mark. Regardless of how it looks compared to CGI I appreciate bringing Frank back to realize Yoda one more time. How could anyone who loves the OT not appreciate that?

- - - Updated - - -

Because they are in Prequel shock. "CGI is the devil and nothing beats practical effects", this is the mantra that the internet has been preaching since the prequels and probably before. Had this movie been perfectly what everyone wanted, Hero Luke, no humor, reverence for the holy graflex, no Porgs, Rey is a Skywalker/Kenobi/Palpatine all at the same time, Snoke turns out to be the ice cream man from Cloud City. Imagine this was the most perfect Episode 8 you could possibly get. Yes, someone would have come into this thread to say "the movie was pretty good but it had too much CGI".

No, it’s because they wanted Frank Oz to do the onset performance.

- - - Updated - - -

I believe that there was some sacred tree in the Jedi temple. They touched on it in recent comics.

I believe that this was connected to that tree.

Leave it to Disney to think the force grows on trees

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

A tree like this was featured in Clone Wars at the Jedi Temple.

Last edited:
Here is how that scene went for me

1st "on hold"- HAHAHAHA!
2nd "on hold-" he he he *confused look*
3rd "on hold"- uhhhhh
Your mom joke + BB-8 slamming his head into the resistors- life is a cruel joke and I don't want to be alive anymore

REAL WORLD children on Earth pretend to have force powers after watching Star Wars, aka the Legend of the Skywalker family. In fact, one could easily argue that is exactly what Broom-Kid did. So now you have to explain how Rey never bothered to play around and see if she had the force while growing up. Because if she had, it would have worked and TFA would have been a wildly different movie.

Furthermore, according to you because she has natural aptitude she can perform any force feat just because she heard a story about it? That's like someone being athletic and suddenly they can throw a football accurately dozens of yards because they heard of Joe Montana, or they can hit homers like no one else because they heard of Babe Ruth. That is not REAL WORLD, that notion is as fictional as Star Wars itself. And that would actually make Rey even more of a Mary-Sue if she could just use any old force ability because she heard about it.
To your first point, we really don't know if that boy has heard ANYTHING about the Force, but we know he's heard of Luke Skywalker. Either way, we see him USE THE FORCE to basically pick up a broom. It's really clear that at a young age, WITH NO TRAINING, the Force can be used. It's plainy stated in TPM that Anakin's pod racing skill was because of the Force, & he didn't even know what it was. He only knew of the Jedi.

Let's look at Luke in ANH. Every single second of his time with Ben isn't shown, but when he deflects the two blasts from the training remote, he's genuinely shocked. I think that's the FIRST time he's successfully done ANYTHING using the Force. Then we have the Death Star & Ben's demise. There's no further training, yet in the trench run, Luke is told to 'Use the Force'...

Use the Force for what??? He's already flying, so not that. He has a targeting computer that could do the job, but Ben wants him to use the Force. My point is, whatever he was using it for, wasn't anything he'd been TRAINED to do. He just did it. That's a natural aptitude, I believe, given by the Force. Rey is simply more powerful with it.

People don't like that, because there has to be a reason, but before Anakin, no one could possibly be more powerful than Yoda. Why was Yoda so powerful? We don't know, but it's fine.

As to the second point, I'm sorry if you don't believe it, but what you pointed out is EXACTLY what happens. There are people that can do amazing things in their first try. Now I'm not saying they're automatically in a professional position. I was just saying that it happens. It's natural talent, & it can be developed. That's all my point was.

Here is how that scene went for me

1st "on hold"- HAHAHAHA!
2nd "on hold-" he he he *confused look*
3rd "on hold"- uhhhhh
Your mom joke + BB-8 slamming his head into the resistors- life is a cruel joke and I don't want to be alive anymore

In 1978, Starbuck is guided through a procedure to try and fix his shorted out landing gear. In 2017 a robot plays little dutch boy aka whack-a-mole to fix the blasters on an X-wing. Progress!

To your first point, we really don't know if that boy has heard ANYTHING about the Force, but we know he's heard of Luke Skywalker. Either way, we see him USE THE FORCE to basically pick up a broom. It's really clear that at a young age, WITH NO TRAINING, the Force can be used. It's plainy stated in TPM that Anakin's pod racing skill was because of the Force, & he didn't even know what it was. He only knew of the Jedi.

The "boy" was part of the group of young-lings that Kylo captured from Luke at the Jedi academy. So he obviously knows.

Pretty sure that’s not in the film or accurate.

Its not in the film. But we do know Kylo took some of the kids from Luke. And we do know there are kids on Cantonica that posses some force ability. The question wayyy back in the thread, was how was TFO able to afford certain things? Well those kids would have been worth alot of money. What better way to tame wild animals, than to let force sensitive children do it.

This guy preys at the church of how great Last Jedi was, so while I personally am not down with what he's saying, some of you who liked it may want to check it out:

https://twitter.com/TwitterMoments/status/950510548013146112
@Vivek posted some of Bryan Young’s writing a few pages back. He presents reasonable considered view points in both his blogging and podcast Full of Sith, I think it’s a bit unkind to characterize his opinion as “praying to the church of TLJ” Willie. Let people just read it or not and form their own opinions.

Its not in the film. But we do know Kylo took some of the kids from Luke. And we do know there are kids on Cantonica that posses some force ability. The question wayyy back in the thread, was how was TFO able to afford certain things? Well those kids would have been worth alot of money. What better way to tame wild animals, than to let force sensitive children do it.

Well, the film says Ben took a group of "students," not " children" specifically, no?

I took that to mean that they became the Knights of Ren.

Well, the film says Ben took a group of "students," not " children" specifically, no?

I took that to mean that they became the Knights of Ren.

The stable boys are FAR too young to have one from Luke’s academy. In universe it’s been at least 10 years since Kylo blew it all up, those kids aren’t 10.

Must be a priest (ba-dum-tiss!)

:lol, I totally deserve that...

@Vivek posted some of Bryan Young’s writing a few pages back. He presents reasonable considered view points in both his blogging and podcast Full of Sith, I think it’s a bit unkind to characterize his opinion as “praying to the church of TLJ” Willie. Let people just read it or not and form their own opinions.

I thought I was doing that, I certainly wasn't telling people not to form their own opinions, maybe it came across the wrong way. Again, I'm glad people liked it, but there's this defensiveness among those who liked it which seems to grate as much with those who didn't. Young brings up some interesting points, but as someone else posted, here's where I think his argument falls apart:

26238821_1439190932870794_2502876663909003440_n.jpg

And I thought this was posted as a decent counter point:

And here is where your narrative falls apart. Just because Luke decides to end the Jedi and be all non violent and such, does not in any way translate to the sith or those who wish to be evil from doing the same.

Righteous violence has always, always been used to counter malicious violence, even if it's as small as tackling and subduing someone beating someone or something defenseless, or as large as war. Violence can beget more violence, but most often it does the opposite if the counter violence was used for a greater good. The worst war in human history was not resolved by diplomacy, non violence, or anything wishy washy. It was resolved through brute naked violence, overwhelming violence, nuclear bomb violence. It did not lead to more violence. It did not beget more violence, and if it did, the level of violence paled in comparison.

Yet we think the opposite? We believe that the USA using overwhelming and at times outright cruel violence only made the world worse off? That America should have simply left Europe and the world to it's plight and it would've led to peace? That's some strong self delusion.

The movie had every reason, every obligation to present a third way for many reasons but the most obvious being a retread of Jedi vs Sith was running out of gas. This absurd suggestion that Luke HAD to end the Jedi because they were creating a cycle of violence makes as much sense as the suggestion that rich people don't care who is in charge because, apparently, having entire planets blown up and entire markets destroyed is good business because they might sell a few more x wings...nope. The Jedi only used violence when it was the only other option. Sitting on the sidelines accomplishes nothing and it's not like we don't have a saying about when good men (people) do nothing.

And gee golly wiz, by sitting on the sidelines and ending the Jedi we found peace. And by peace I mean Kylo Ren murders people he cares about, the First Order murders billions, and the only resistance to them was nearly wiped out. Pretending Luke is that kind of stupid and delusional is insulting.

My favorite part about modern fandom is the idea that if you did not like something, you must not have fully understood it. Plus, you can always tell when someone doesn’t truly understand the creative process when they say things like “they had to do this” or “there was no other choice” when talking about a work of fiction.

:lol, I totally deserve that...

I thought I was doing that, I certainly wasn't telling people not to form their own opinions, maybe it came across the wrong way. Again, I'm glad people liked it, but there's this defensiveness among those who liked it which seems to grate as much with those who didn't. Young brings up some interesting points, but as someone else posted, here's where I think his argument falls apart:

https://scontent-lax3-1.xx.fbcdn.ne...=ece6080de385fe297a38e11e25f807ef&oe=5AF3FA6B

And I thought this was posted as a decent counter point:

I think both have good points. Before I saw the film in response to the trailers where Luke says “It’s time for the Jedi to end” I concluded the same as Bryan, that Luke wanted to break the cycle of Light with Dark rising to meet it. If the Jedi exert too much influence the Force allows the Dark, manifested by Snoke or the Sith, to rise to meet it. The argument can be made that Luke’s efforts to start the Jedi Order back up resulted in the rise of Snoke and the corruption of Ben Solo. So Luke checks out under the possibly mistaken idea that by removing himself balance will eventually be restored. He didn’t count on the Force taking matters into its own hands and bringing forth Rey.

I think both have good points. Before I saw the film in response to the trailers where Luke says “It’s time for the Jedi to end” I concluded the same as Bryan, that Luke wanted to break the cycle of Light with Dark rising to meet it. If the Jedi exert too much influence the Force allows the Dark, manifested by Snoke or the Sith, to rise to meet it. The argument can be made that Luke’s efforts to start the Jedi Order back up resulted in the rise of Snoke and the corruption of Ben Solo. So Luke checks out under the possibly mistaken idea that by removing himself balance will eventually be restored. He didn’t count on the Force taking matters into its own hands and bringing forth Rey.

I cant see that happening, Luke did remove himself and nothing changed. And If what you say is true. Then this is the end of Star Wars. Everyone will be resolved into one Force, no Jedi, no Sith. Just military good against military bad. So our galaxy far far away, will just turn into a Call of Duty, with no special powers. No more Force, because everyone with the Force will be happy happy joy joy with balance. Im glad Luke was wrong.

To me and my kids (and nieces and nephews), SW is Jedi vs Sith.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back