War for the Planet of the Apes (Post-release)

Some of those moments were very powerful, IMHO. The interaction between Nova and Luca, from the cherry blossom scene until the final moment they shared together, were deeply moving. It was a powerfully "human" moment for both of them.

Some were good. And I liked the scene you referenced.

But too many of these types of scenes were stretched too long. Cut a bit shorter, they would've been much more poignant. It's a fine line, that a filmmaker wants to get very close to, for maximum impact--but they definitely went over it frequently, and the moment you do, the opposite happens, and the impact diminishes.

Good filmmakers know how to approach that line without going over it. Unfortunately, this filmmaker botched it time and time again.

The Wook.

Finally got to see this last night.
I really, really, really, really, really liked this film.
More than I expected to.
When Bad-Ape gives the little girl the trinket she's been fiddling with and it's revealed to be the name-plate off a Chevy NOVA, I almost fell out of my chair.
I did not see that coming...
I expected, from the trailer and the title, a stupid war movie about explosions and stuff.
But it's not a war movie at all. It's a journey movie.
I liked it.

Yeah, I picked it up last week and watched it. I thought it was really good. As I was watching it I kept thinking to myself "Wow, this movie is Apocalypse Now, The Great Escape, and The Ten Commandments all rolled into one and done with apes!" Then I watched the special features and that's exactly what they said it was! :D

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back