Halloween 2018

Let me preface by stating that I have a bit of nostalgia for the RZ films, particularly the first, which is what got me into Myers collecting in the first place. HOWEVER, and this is something I've said about the remakes since I've seen them. You don't explain evil. Once you take away that mystery about Michael, he becomes sympathetic and that's wrong. In the remake, I'm rooting for Michael all the way until he kills Danny Trejo. I didn't like that. Michael is, as Carpenter says, a force of evil. He's not a grotesque giant of a brute like Jason, he's a mysterious, ghostly shape, a phantom of the night, a boogeyman. Give him a backstory and you take that away, creating some exceptionally large man with a vendetta against bullies. This is, of course, not to take anything away from the performance itself. Tyler Mane, despite the writing, gave a horrifically fantastic performance as Michael. My third favorite after Nick Castle and Dick Warlock.

I'll also say that the atmosphere is top notch in this movie, and just about saves the film for me. The movie creates a better feeling of Illinois in October from South Pasadena than the original did. Everything from the way the sun casts the shadows to the dead leaves on green grass breathes October in Illinois. I think the only Halloween movie that outshines the remake in this category is Halloween 4. The costume design for Michael is also really good. By Halloween 6, I feel like the white mask and grey coveralls starts to become stale. I feel like the Carhartt's and rot mask was a breath of fresh air in a franchise that had gotten old by the time the '90s rolled around. I love the Carolina Logger boots, and the progression of the rot mask, as it mirrors Michael's continuously dilapidating mental state. Now, after Zombies vision I feel ready to return to the classic and basics.

Unfortunately, the movie, particularly the second one, is bogged down by the foul mouthed and embarrassingly redneck depictions of us Illinoisans, which is hardly true in any light. It makes us look like a bunch of northern Alabamians, with chipped painted houses, couches on the front porch with a mini fridge full of Bud Lites within arms reach. It got even worse in the second movie. The depictions were "Deliverance" bad. When that guy beat down Michael for being in his field in H2, I could practically hear the "C'mon boy, squeal! Weeeeeeeee!" It's embarrassing that this is what the depiction of my state is when you're outside of Chicago. Farmers are intelligent people, nowhere near the white trash cliche that Zombie depicts. But, that's his style. He has the same exact kind of characterizations in "Devil's Rejects."

In the inverse of that, Tyler Bates' soundtrack is very good in both movies as are the non original compositions used like Nazareth and Rush. The soundtracks really bring these movies to life, in a similar way that they did for the original. I, for one, really enjoy the rocker culture in these movies, and I love how the music choice evokes a very 70s style. There's even a needlepoint of JFK in the Myers home during Michael's childhood that really makes a point to sell that 60s and 70s feel to this movie. But yeah, the music really makes this movie, and fits in with the tone of "bigger, stronger, faster" with the musical notes, especially the piano notes, striking harder and louder than any previous rendition. The little background noises added to the theme likewise was a really unique choice.

All the elements seem to be in place on this new film to create a true Halloween sequel with all the atmosphere that made the first two great. I hope Carpenter does the music along side Alan Howarth!

I'm excited about this. I have always loved the Halloween series despite some low points. I know I'm in the minority when I say I liked Halloween 3. I think should have been a stand alone film that shouldnt have been part of the franchise.

Just to update anyone interested here, the new movie will be a direct sequel to the original Halloween, not Halloween 2. This one is going to ignore ALL of the sequels and reboot. Laurie and Michael will most likely NOT be siblings, and Carpenter has stated this will be the LAST Halloween movie (whether or not that is the case , remains to be seen).

Holy smoke! This is great news! I was hoping he'd get to reprise the part one day. There was definitely something different about the way he played Michael in the first film.

New Halloween 2018 Poster release

halloween-2018-poster-1103254.jpeg

Universal has released the first Halloween 2018 poster.

We don’t know much about the story of this new Halloween other than the fact that it’s a sequel that disregards all Halloween films after the first Halloween II. Jamie Lee Curtis reprises her role as Laurie Strode, Judy Greer plays her daughter, and the film will introduce Laurie’s granddaughter as presumably another potential victim for Michael Myers. David Gordon Green (Stronger) is directing from a script he co-wrote with Danny McBride and Jeff Fradley.

Now my question to all you Myers mask fans is.... why does his mask look like an old man? :lol
Is this something that happens to latex over the years? IS this supposed to be an affect from the fire in Halloween #2?

This is supposed to be the mask from Halloween 78. This movie is a direct sequel to the original. So no, it is not an artifact from the fire in part 2.

The original hero from Halloween is currently in pretty bad shape. This is what actually happens to these masks after 40 years.
mmnethero.jpgHero-mask-Mark-Roberts.jpg

Last edited:
This is supposed to be the mask from Halloween 78. This movie is a direct sequel to the original. So no, it is not an artifact from the fire in part 2.

The original hero from Halloween is currently in pretty bad shape. This is what actually happens to these masks after 40 years.
View attachment 811027View attachment 811028

You missed the point of my question though.... I asked if a mask deteriorated with wrinkles? I expect chipping, cracking and peeling, but I am questioning the skin like wrinkles in the mask. Plus I believe this is a direct sequel to the FIRST TWO movies. And if you recall, Myers was burned in the fire at the hospital.

If you read the synopsis I posted above, this sequel takes place AFTER THE ORIGINAL #2. So the mask would have been in a fire.

“this new Halloween other than the fact that it’s a sequel that disregards all Halloween films after the first Halloween II.”

That aside, I again have questions about the wrinkles in the mask because looking at the original deteriorated mask from 1978 that you provided, while it is in rough shape, it shows no wrinkling from time.

This is not a sequel to Halloween 2. It is ignoring everything after part 1. There was no hospital or fire. Myers fell off the balcony and disappeared.

As far as the look of the mask, i'm sure just thats just an artistic decision the director/art department made. Plus its only one photo that Im sure has been photoshopped. If a teaser comes out tomorrow we should have a better look at it.

- - - Updated - - -

https://www.halloweenmovie.com/synopsis/

"Jamie Lee Curtis returns to her iconic role as Laurie Strode, who comes to her final confrontation with Michael Myers, the masked figure who has haunted her since she narrowly escaped his killing spree on Halloween night four decades ago. "

Last edited by a moderator:
This is not a sequel to Halloween 2. It is ignoring everything after part 1. There was no hospital or fire. Myers fell off the balcony and disappeared.

As far as the look of the mask, i'm sure just thats just an artistic decision the director/art department made. Plus its only one photo that Im sure has been photoshopped. If a teaser comes out tomorrow we should have a better look at it.

- - - Updated - - -

https://www.halloweenmovie.com/synopsis/

"Jamie Lee Curtis returns to her iconic role as Laurie Strode, who comes to her final confrontation with Michael Myers, the masked figure who has haunted her since she narrowly escaped his killing spree on Halloween night four decades ago. "

See this is what is confusing.... some sites say one thing and others say they take Halloween 2 into consideration.

https://screenrant.com/tag/halloween/

The above states:
“SYNOPSIS:
A continuation of the Halloween movie property that maintains continuity with the first two installments in the series”

Either way, the second story really didn’t affect the storyline of the first film.

RE: The Mask. I understand some artist decision went into it, but I just don’t buy the old man wrinkles. :(
I think the Rob Zombie mask better captured the cracking and aging of an old latex mask.

Last edited by a moderator:
As much as I love Halloween, I'm honestly not all that excited for this new installment. Getting most of the gang back together might sound nice but just imagining folks in their 60's-70's running around screaming and hollering from an old Michael Myers... just sounds more like a spoof than anything. Also, Danny McBride writing this, what else am I suppose to think?

RE: The Mask. I understand some artist decision went into it, but I just don’t buy the old man wrinkles. :(
I think the Rob Zombie mask better captured the cracking and aging of an old latex mask.

They’ve captured aging beautifully here, as a direct result of studying old latex masks. If you’ve ever stuffed a mask in a box and removed it after a few years? You very well may see that exact type of linear wrinkling. Rob Zombie’s (Wayne Toth’s) interpretion is not accurate to how latex ages. While it looks really nice, it was based solely on aesthetics as opposed to real world references.

I will make one further point and say, this is a promo image, and one that has been pretty photoshopped at that. Wait until you see this mask how it’s supposed to be seen. It has the “presence” that the original did...that this horrible promo photo does no justice getting across.

Ok, so this is ignoring everything after the 1978 original and essentially positioning itself as a sequel to the original, as if there wasn't already one? I'm...weirdly okay with that, though I like the original Halloween 2. I've been disinterested in most of what came after the original Halloween 2 however, so wiping the slate clean is ok by me. This looks fantastic.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back