Blade Runner 2049

Exactly.
Original was a mashup masterpiece of real firearms and touch of the future, so perfect. It's actual function not fully explained
but dwelling in implied mystery.
And Leon of course with the COP .357 looking rather exotic with it's four barrels though a factory stock weapon.

To me, these do not look inspired by any real firearms and therefore breaks the chain with grounding the weapons in reality suitable
to the Blade Runner detective noir aesthetic. But I'm guessing that whole aspect has been tossed.
IF they wanted to show advancement they could have done mashups of polymyer Glocks, Sigs, HKs, etc and added the future noir to it. But c'est la vie.
You hit the problem exactly on the nose. That was my first thought, too.

The original looks authentic because it's crafted from real firearms.
The others look like anime guns.
Is it so hard to find a designer who likes and knows guns?

Of course you couldn't even see Ford's gun in the original movie. For 20 years I couldn't have told you what it looked like.

I believe that K's pistol is made of real gun parts too. The serial number stamped on it looks like maybe VK Brno.

Last edited:
How many people outside of Blade Runner prop builders could recognize any part of Deckard's pistol? I'm a gun nut and I can't.

It's not necessary fully, simply that they were real components, designed to handle pressures and cycle cartridges, think of the studio miniatures that used tons of parts from model kits, like the Saturn V and F4 for the X-Wings. Engine cylinder head covers and manifolds connecting on the Y-Wing implying some purpose. That kind of thing.
They were tasked back then to make a futuristic but retro detective weapon. It had to give a performance too to sell the mashup that is BR. They did such a great job it is often considered the number one prop handgun of all time. You set it next to a Cibi glass of booze and you are instantly both future and past. The new guns are all future. I don't think they are bad designs by any stretch, just not BR universe.

Digging the new Pistol!

I know it is sacrilige to say this but the old one never did anything for me thought it was a lazy way to come up with a futuristic weapon! :lol

Digging the new Pistol!

I know it is sacrilige to say this but the old one never did anything for me thought it was a lazy way to come up with a futuristic weapon! :lol

giphy.gif

It works in well with Goslings overall look which was probably the main factor driving it along. The shots of Gosling holding Deckard`s gun is what feels out of place to me.

Like the holster rig material.

Sweet recreation of K's blaster by 'candykiller' from reddit based on the limited reference from the trailer before the SDCC display:

kblaster.jpg

He couldn't see the handle, so he just used the one from Dekard's. Dare I say, I like it better than the actual prop, though still inferior to Dekard's original blaster as a whole.

I wish they rounded out some of these details a bit for a more classic design.

Luv's piece is pretty cool. Again, not a fan of the handle (would have been cooler with a clear acrylic grip), but these designs are growing on me.

o6CBx3J.jpg

Aesthetics do change in 3 decades. What was hot in 2019 most surely wouldn't be in 2049. Same as what was cool or cutting edge in firearms in 1982 are now laughable by 2017 standards or just simply out of favor.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back