ANH Vader helmet - an original casting surfaces in Australia?

Makes much more sense that the widow's peak got broken off (looks like it anyway). I do think it's very cute that you all seem to think kids are gentle with their playthings and that their first inclination is to preserve them under a glass case just as they came.

Where would a kid get such a solidly-built Vader helmet in that era?

Also, don't get me wrong, I'm not arguing that it's necessarily authentic. I just don't see how it being broken, run off with by the dog, repainted with a craft brush several times, and stuck away for a couple decades constitutes that it simply mustn't be.

I'll also point out that, according to the article, much research has already been done on it to authenticate it, so some chaps on the 'net looking at a few photos probably aren't going to be the ones to crack the case. (And yes, I'm including myself in that.)

-Rog

Last edited:
The ANH mohawk strip on the dome has sharper edges. This looks more like a ROTJ dome to me.

Makes much more sense that the widow's peak got broken off (looks like it anyway). I do think it's very cute that you all seem to think kids are gentle with their playthings and that their first inclination is to preserve them under a glass case just as they came.

Where would a kid get such a solidly-built Vader helmet in that era?

Also, don't get me wrong, I'm not arguing that it's necessarily authentic. I just don't see how it being broken, run off with by the dog, repainted with a craft brush several times, and stuck away for a couple decades constitutes that it simply mustn't be.

I'll also point out that, according to the article, much research has already been done on it to authenticate it, so some chaps on the 'net looking at a few photos probably aren't going to be the ones to crack the case. (And yes, I'm including myself in that.)

-Rog

Apparently you have never seen real movie props ... which always look like crap, with scratches, dings, paintloss due to being on set ... it's quite possible the story to this helmet is true eventhough admittedly the dome is not ANH as has been suggested by others.

Chaïm

Seriously, that abomination of a helmet looks like a early sculpt. And for movie props being like crap? This screen-used Vader was burned. FREAKING BURNED! And it honestly looks more like Vader than that cast will ever.

DarthVaderHelmet.jpg

pretty sure I have heard of a similar story a few years ago, where someone involved in the filming of the OT sent some props or other things to their relatives in Australia

maybe it was the movie reels or something like?

in fact, I have might read about it on the RPF.............

This already looks better than the melted abomination we got in TFA

I really do not understand the decision to go with that melted Vader helmet. It's aesthtically bad and just doesn't feel right in-universe for his helmet to be blobified by a funeral pyre. I really wish they had gone with the concept version, so much more pleasing;

0Zxmke4.jpg

It just feels so weird seeing on ebay the melted Force Awakens versions going for big bucks when they look just like a Don Post standard that's been left in a car on a hot day.

Sorry, a bit off topic, but got to get some grumbles in before the year ends.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back