Project: Revell AT-AT Walker

Brilliant work , you should cast each of your parts before you assemble so you can at a later date create another one quickly

Brilliant work and equally fantastic documentation. I admire your skills and dedication. Tom St. Amand would be proud!

Thanks Vacformedhero and VFX Freak,

This project has been quite a challenge, more than I anticipated. As for casting the parts, that'll be put to the test when need to cast the foot shells. The parts are detectable, perhaps that could be another project.

Well.... *tosses everything into the air* Just when I think I've seen the most amazing project here on this site and it's not going to get any better, along comes something like this.

Pretty much every update post had me shaking my head and muttering "that's just genius."

Can't wait to see this baby finished.

Well.... *tosses everything into the air* Just when I think I've seen the most amazing project here on this site and it's not going to get any better, along comes something like this.

Pretty much every update post had me shaking my head and muttering "that's just genius."

Can't wait to see this baby finished.

Wow! Your metal work and its idea are brilliant.

Thanks Zuiun and swmodelfan1977.

This project has been an endeavor. One thing I realized is how time consuming the metal work is. It would take me a day to mill four parts. Most of that time is trying to figure how, I do one part and then finish off the remaining three. By the end, it's 7 or 8 o'clock at night.

THE LEGS Part VI

The Ankles.

ankle 01.JPG
The Ankles are pretty much symmetrical, so I'd thought I handle them as two identical plates. The inside and the outside. Each plate has four halves and made of 3/8 aluminum.

ankle 02.JPG ankle 03.JPG
To accomplish the channels for the Horse Shoes, I basically milled in a loop, covering four Ankle halves at once. Once done, I did the other plate. When these two plates are put together they line up forming the Ankles.

ankle 04.JPG ankle 05.JPG ankle 06.JPG
Next, I had to cut out each Ankle. I started by cutting out the corners and then cut straight down to the center hole separating each Ankle half.

ankle 07.JPG ankle 08.JPG ankle 09.JPG ankle 10.JPG
Then it was a matter of milling the angled faces. Easier said than done. It was definitely not a easy thing to do.

ankle 11.JPG
Let's say, there is some putty work involved.

NEXT, The Horse Shoes.

THE LEGS Part VII

The Horse Shoes.

horse shoe 01.JPG horse shoe 02.JPG
For the Horse Shoes, I used four 3/8 aluminum blocks. The outer contours were pretty straight forward. But the curved channels along the sides were done the same way, except at a higher depth. The channels along the edges were accomplished by using a 'cutting bit' at various heights. I then used the dremel tool to clean them up.

horse shoe 03.JPG horse shoe 04.JPG
To get the inner contours, I drilled multi holes along the inner guides and then removed the cores. I used a coarse file to refine the contours and went crazy.

horse shoe 05.JPG
Once done, it's a matter of drilling the Foot Pin holes.

horse shoe 06.JPG
For that, I removed the compound table and rotate the drill press table at a 90 degree angle.

horse shoe 07.JPG
Next, I rounded the bottoms around the Foot Pin holes.

horse shoe 08.JPG
Lastly, I cut the 'tension slits' along the edges by using a cutting disk on the drill press.

MORE TO COME. The Upper Feet.

THE LEGS Part VIII

The Upper Feet.

upper foot 01.JPG
For the Upper Feet, I used four 1-1/2 aluminum rods about 1/2 thick.

upper foot 02.JPG
Before tackling the tapering, I had to drill holes for the Foot Pins. I turned the drill press table at a 90 degree angle and drilled straight thru with a 1/4 bit.

upper foot 03.JPG upper foot 04.JPG
I'd first thought of mounting each part in the chuck and filing them down to a taper, but discovered that was going to be extremely time consuming. So I decided to mill them instead. I devised a mounting plate which I bolted each part to from underneath. I then, clamped that unit to the rotary table and rotated the drill press table to approximately 11 degrees.

upper foot 05.JPG
Next, I drilled 1/2 holes down the center which will later be milled to 3/4 to accommodate the Caps.

upper foot 06.JPG upper foot 07.JPG
Because I couldn't mill the Caps as a single part, I made then into two parts and would epoxy/bolt together later. The top plates were cut from a 2mm aluminum sheet and the posts from a 3/4 rod. I milled straight channels into the posts, so the Foot Pins could slide into.

upper foot 08.JPG upper foot 09.JPG
Next, I milled the center holes to 3/4 so the posts can pop into. I then epoxy the posts to the top plates. Later on, the Foot Pins will be bolted to the Caps by drilled holes in the center of the Pins.

upper foot 10.JPG
I needed something to run up & down in the Lower Foot Chambers, so traced out 1-1/2 circles onto a 1mm aluminum sheet and a 1/4 wood board. I won't cut these out until I have the Chambers milled. These discs, along with the Foot Springs, will eventually be bolted to the Upper Feet where they'll held down in the Chambers.

WHAT'S NEXT? The Lower Foot Caps.

THE LEGS Part IX

The Lower Foot Caps.

lower foot cap 01.JPG
The four Lower Foot Caps were cut from a 3/16 aluminum plate, based off my template.

lower foot cap 02.JPG lower foot cap 03.JPG
I had to mill channels on the bottom side. These channels will be the same diameter as the Lower Foot Chamber's inners.

lower foot cap 04.JPG
Next, I had to taper the tops. This time, I could use the drill press and a coarse file to do the job.

lower foot cap 05.JPG lower foot cap 06.JPG
To make the openings, I drilled multiple holes within the guide lines, pop out the cores and milled them to size.

lower foot cap 07.JPG
Lastly, I milled round inserts for the Foot Support Rods.

NEXT. The Lower Foot Chambers. Maybe???

THE LEGS Part X

The Lower Foot Chambers.

lower foot chamber 01.JPG
For the Lower Foot Chamber, I made up a 'mock up' out of plastic tubing.

lower foot chamber 02.JPG lower foot chamber 03.JPG
I used it for alignment with the other parts, to ensure everything is fitting.

lower foot chamber 04.JPG
As for what to use to make them, I had to compromise. I needed four 2" round tubing with a 1.624" inner diameter (3/16 wall) each at about 1/2" high. Fortunately, there is such a tube. But unfortunately, it was hard to obtain at a reasonable price. So, I had to go with 2" solid disks and mill out the holes myself. A task I wasn't looking forward to. But with all I've done at this point, it shouldn't be a big deal.

lower foot chamber 05.JPG
Before I started, I made sure the Foot Shell master fitted over the 2" disk. I then marked off what I needed to mill.

lower foot chamber 06.JPG lower foot chamber 07.JPG
I started by drilling holes just inside the perimeter. Next, it was a matter of milling up to the line.

lower foot chamber 08.JPG
I then drilled the mounting holes and there you have it.

NEXT. The Lower Foot Bases.

THE LEGS Part XI

The Lower Foot Bases.

lower foot base 01.JPG
I'm using four 3/16 aluminum blocks approx 2-1/2 square for the bases.

lower foot base 02.JPG
I started by cutting out the corners and then work myself to the Toe mounts.

lower foot base 03.JPG
At this point, I fine tuned the contours and drilled the mounting holes.

lower foot base 04.JPG
Next, I bored out 3/4 center holes and rounded Toes mounts. The center hole will allow me to adjust the 'shock absorbers' and to connect any tie-downs, if I'm going to animate the model.

NEXT. The Foot Support Rods.

THE LEGS Part XII

The Foot Support Rods.

foot support rod 01.JPG
I did a quick design sketch to go by.

foot support rod 02.JPG foot support rod 03.JPG
For the ball n socket joints, I thought try using 'ball head screws', from screen window latches and small ball screws from a RC car.

foot support rod 04.JPG
Unfortunately, I only had three of the screws, so I had to order four new ones.

foot support rod 05.JPG
Next, I bore out cavities in aluminum rods for the small ball screws to be mounted in and then cut a slit at the top. I basically used a dremel tool for most of the work.

foot support rod 06.JPG
I then popped the screws into the hole and worked it in.

foot support rod 07.JPG
Next, was to make mounting posts for the small ball screws. I did this by using the drill press and file to taper them. These will be attached to the Ankles.

foot support rod 08.JPG
The aluminum tubing wasn't working out too well, so I opted to use brass instead.

foot support rod 09.JPG
Also I made bases for the larger ball screws which consist of short aluminum tubes, conformed at the top and plastic cores to hold the screws in. These will be epoxy to the Foot Shells.

NEXT. The Body_Hip Joints.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back