City-by-City -- Hobby Shops

Couple more for Indiana, which IS mainly a home to Hobbytown's and Hobby Lobbys.

First, in Muncie, is Toys Forever Models & Hobbies (Toys Forever Models and Hobbies) which is a small hobby shop downtown that does carry kits, does special orders (if I remember correctly) and the staff really enjoys building sci-fi models.

Also, in Indianapolis, on the northeast side off of Pendleton Pike, is Big Boy Hobbies. Severe hole in the wall, really old joint, doesn't even have website. Good selection of older kits, last time I was there had some of the AMT DS9 Character Model Kits, along with a wall of car kits, plus piles of others.

There's a couple I've found in my hunting. I'll let you know if I find more.

Tony

Couple more for Indiana, which IS mainly a home to Hobbytown's and Hobby Lobbys.

First, in Muncie, is Toys Forever Models & Hobbies (Toys Forever Models and Hobbies) which is a small hobby shop downtown that does carry kits, does special orders (if I remember correctly) and the staff really enjoys building sci-fi models.

Also, in Indianapolis, on the northeast side off of Pendleton Pike, is Big Boy Hobbies. Severe hole in the wall, really old joint, doesn't even have website. Good selection of older kits, last time I was there had some of the AMT DS9 Character Model Kits, along with a wall of car kits, plus piles of others.

There's a couple I've found in my hunting. I'll let you know if I find more.

Tony

Been to Big Boy. I personally wasnt' all that impressed.

In post #2, you should add links to the stores sites.

I'm adding/editing the primary post to add hot links. However, I'm only adding the ones where people had originally had linked their post -- i.e. i'm not going hunting for all the websites of these stores unless they are given to me.

With that, if anybody wants to amend their post to provide the hotlink, please alert me to it so I can include it.

Personally, I was impressed that I found a shop not ran by Hobbytown that had more than a half a dozen kits in it, but obviously take what I say with a grain of salt, since I'm not much of a model builder. ;)

Just trying to help!
Tony

Personally, I was impressed that I found a shop not ran by Hobbytown that had more than a half a dozen kits in it, but obviously take what I say with a grain of salt, since I'm not much of a model builder. ;)

Just trying to help!
Tony

Sorry if you took offense Tony. I suppose I've been to several stores, so it takes a bit to impress me. Didn't mean to sour your impression. Chicagoland or even Valpo has a good store or two if you're in that neck of the woods.

Oh, no no no! No offense! Just had that stupid need to justify why I kinda liked it.
Oh heck, compared to someplace like Pegasus Hobbies out in Montclair, CA, it's a definite hole, but here in Naptown, at least it's something.
No worries!
T

finished with retro'g the previous hotlinks. that hurt a little - some of the graphix and layouts of these stores haven't been seen (in most sites) in over 20 years. it was like an archeology dig. some of you may want to check your hotlinks too - found a couple dead ones. if you fix yours, alert me and i'll reattempt to add it to the front page.

10-4 on that Rick

Your latter link is cool too. If no direct website, a business directory is fine -- just a bit more help for the traveler (your link with a picture of the building always help when in a strange place looking for some hole-in-the-wall building -- good stuff).

To add, I need to review my own collection of hobby stores (when traveling). I've collected places/names for a long time and some have likely went out of business over the past 4 years, I bet.

Are you just naming hobby shops or would you recommend these to fellow modelers as a shop that would interest them as a GOOD shop? Make sure you fully review the OP (#2).

I would recommend all three, if only for the fact that their isn't much choice. Although I just realised that I shouldn't list Modelzone as it's part of a national chain.

Southsea Models and Fratton Model Centre are both independents however. Southsea Models is also an independent retailer of Games Workshop and is a good source of older models. FMC deals mainly with radio control models (cars, planes, boats etc) but does have plastic kits as well and paints (mostly enamel)

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back