Baby Groot FROZEN IN CARBONITE D: >>FINISHED<<

Re: Baby Groot FROZEN IN CARBONITE D:

Great idea fantastic mashup! Also I love wood texture you created! What clay you use?

Thanks! This is actually all Apoxie Sculpt. :)

That is excellent work. I would be hesitant to add the carbonite detail on such a beautiful Groot sculpture.

Same! I was telling someone else today that it's almost a shame I'm going to be covering up some of the detail work. But it must be done! I'm thinking I'll refrain from muddying it up too much. A few key "oozing" bits, and then overlapping most of the edges should cover it enough.

Today I cut down the sintra plate to the size of the carbonite itself and applied the carbonite texture. The texture looks broad and grossly oversized for Groot, but keep in mind this is intended to be a 1:1 scale prop, so I tried my best to make the texture look correct for a character who (at 1:1 scale) is about 10.5" tall.

36590403124_9520e48f24_c.jpg

36630503543_3041165a18_b.jpg

After that was done, I started on the outer casing. So far, it's primarily constructed out of 1/4" sintra. None of it is assembled yet, though, as I intend to do all the side cutouts before I assemble the box. Like the carbonite texturing, I wanted to make the outer casing appropriately scaled for what is intended to be a 1:1 scale object, so the outer bezel is proportionately larger than the Han block.

I'm also making the Groot plate a separate component for casting purposes because I am anticipating varying interest in regards to full/partial kits.

37300100731_4f722a5b99_c.jpg

36630502063_ff857a4ca3_c.jpg

37300100161_b9b4d4b6e0_c.jpg

Last edited:

Told my wife "If he offers a run I might get one of these" she said "no he looks so helpless I would be too sad seeing him like that " :lol

Told my wife "If he offers a run I might get one of these" she said "no he looks so helpless I would be too sad seeing him like that " :lol

Lol! Yeah I'm already getting a fair amount of that. XD There will definitely be a run. I'll have an interest list up sometime closer to the finish. Until then, I recently put a coat of primer on the Groot plate in preparation for molding, and it should give you a fair idea of what the final product will look like:

37322452742_e45c086e51_c.jpg

And last night I made the mold for the Groot plate. I'm pouring the first casting later today, as well as making some headway on the outer case.

37351932951_afb7d87bb3_z.jpg

37322451972_59131b0bb1_c.jpg

This is looking so amazing. I wouldn’t have thought to combine these two things, but now... it just seems logical. That mold looks great. Can’t wait to see a cast!

A run is most definitely coming, I just don't want to announce anything until I am a lot further along. But I intend to have this ready for purchase by the time people are doing their holiday shopping, if not a little sooner. :)

I had some PTO to burn yesterday, so I spent the day working on the outer casing. It's all sintra, 1/4" and 1/8" thick sheets. I realized only after assembling the block that the top panel of Han's block is angled outward, while mine is flat. I'm running with it, though, since plenty of other details are unique to my build anyways. The sides are angled out, though! This outer casing should be finished this weekend, there's really not much to it. And now that I have the side panel designed, i should be able to start working on the control panel soon!

Here's a resin casting of the Groot plate:

37383012631_866c1377d7_c.jpg

And here's my progress on the outer casing:

37383015621_568b87a611_c.jpg

37383015101_9666dd1ae9_c.jpg

37383014261_94de757356_c.jpg

37383013711_20f625f659_c.jpg

37383013151_1ba4cf55c3_c.jpg

This weekend I finished up the remaining fabrication work on the case and even made the control panel master. I hope to be able to mold the control panel tonight, but I probably won't be able to mold the outer casing until next week because I have other orders to fulfill and ship out this week and a trip to Memphis this weekend.

36782518363_ea6f956925_c.jpg

Because I obviously couldn't fit a real Volvo dash panel on this, I needed to design it from scratch. I wanted to keep the overall aesthetic of the original panel, though, so my design closely mimics the features of the Volvo dash panel in its features. And again, this isn't a miniaturized prop, this is intended to be 1:1 scale because Baby Groot is only 10.5 inches tall or thereabouts. So the philosophy behind the design is that it's just a smaller panel for a smaller carbonite block.

37452409311_e8f8f09083_c.jpg

37452406501_6a430b8664_c.jpg

Got to do a teensy bit of work on it this afternoon before I had to stop and pack for my trip this weekend. Last night I worked on the rubber mold for the control panel, and this afternoon I built the box to hold the mold in orientation. So all that's left casting-wise is the outer case, which I'll get to next week after I return from my trip.

36836015823_53ac61c29c_c.jpg

Back in the saddle, I finished up all the mold work earlier this week.

37401428140_e980619e44_c.jpg

23806527778_9180312c14_c.jpg

And last night I began casting the control panels. Because they are so small relative to the Han panels, I didn't have the luxury of being able to slush cast these effectively, so they are cast solid. So if electronics are to be installed, there is a little bit of grinding work one must do to that select panel. The control panels are small and thin enough, however, that I don't suspect it would take much work to get ready for lights.

23806529238_707abdf401_c.jpg

37609996246_cb8d5aac63_c.jpg

I also cast up another Groot plate, as you can see. I plan on starting the first outer casing casting tomorrow and will hopefully see what a full kit looks like labor/cost-wise by the end of the weekend. :)

This is fantastic sculpture! The expression is perfect and terrible, and it gives me a really horrible idea.

If you could make the main 'box' part of it open up, use the control panel
https://i.imgur.com/yMIM27d.jpg
as a little button to push, you could put in DVD storage and turn it into a box set for all three (eventual) Guardians films. It's a horrible idea but it makes me giggle...

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back