Gold Leaf VS Gold Spray Paint

NSStudios

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hey guys! I was just hoping to get some opinions from other members. I am building a functional, spring loaded, Book of Amun Ra from "The Mummy" complete with all pages; however, I have a little bit of a dilemma. I would definitely love to gold leaf the book, but I am also looking into gold spray paint. Specifically, Montana Gold Spray Paint. I hear it is amazing and mimics gold leaf very well. Has anyone done one or the other, if so what were your results? Thanks!

I personally love gold leaf to gold spray paint. About 10 years ago I used gold spray paint on one of my Indy idols and gold leaf on the other. They paint was easier and less time consuming to apply and they both looked exactly alike! But alas, now I realize that the gold leaf still looks brand new and the paint likes to tarnish over time and looks like cheap acrylic paint. I now wish I had gold leafed it and recommend you to caution yourself with what I've just told you! But then again what's yours is yours and not mine so I don't have to much of a say. But that's just me;)

Sent from my KYOCERA-E6560 using Tapatalk

I personally love gold leaf to gold spray paint. About 10 years ago I used gold spray paint on one of my Indy idols and gold leaf on the other. They paint was easier and less time consuming to apply and they both looked exactly alike! But alas, now I realize that the gold leaf still looks brand new and the paint likes to tarnish over time and looks like cheap acrylic paint. I now wish I had gold leafed it and recommend you to caution yourself with what I've just told you! But then again what's yours is yours and not mine so I don't have to much of a say. But that's just me;)

Great advice! Thank you for that and the prompt response. Do you happen to have photos? I'd love to see your jobs :)

Great advice! Thank you for that and the prompt response. Do you happen to have photos? I'd love to see your jobs :)
I the gold leafed idol is hiding away I storage but here is a pic of the one that was spray painted:
9d855d9808120e930c85f8d8c28b0b94.jpg

And a pic of a gold leafed cross of Coronado I am working on:
33c5e95a64095e01156716f12e37b910.jpg

Hope that helps:)

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back