ST:ENT Hand Scanner Help & Suggestions

Kal Argos

Sr Member
Hello,

I would really like to have a ST:ENT hand scanner hero replica. And since I don't see any for sale, I take that as a sign to make one. (Barring anyone wanting to sell or trade for a Stapleton Enterprise hand scanner.) But sometimes a good project is a great thing...

I have limited space in the garage and so my options of making one are limited. I was thinking of buying the static resin prop I've seen on a couple sites. So question one is ... Is that a good accurate prop?

From this I was thinking of vacuforming the outer shell from this resin prop and going from there. This route would slightly increase the overall dimensions but it's close enough for me. The other question is will that resin stand up to the vacuform process?

When that's done I'd look at the electronics... And I'd really like to to have an animated screen, like on some tricorder props on here.... Tho I have no idea how to even approach that ... And that is a ways down the road.

So in short is the static resin prop a good accurate base to start from? And could that resin stand up to the vacuform process?

Thanks in advance to any help from the community...

Edit:. Here is a link to the prop I'm talking about.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B005EFSBIY/ref=aw_wl_ov_dp_1_5?colid=1IV17QY2Q12MZ&coliid=I2NBEPITOGQ5C7

Last edited:
Hi, Im going in another direction with this. I got a 3D printer and will create a stl file to print and assemble it. I'm going to try to follow Stapleton's scanner from pictures... So I can put electronics in and have it pop up and stuff.

I could use a little help... could some one who has a Stapleton ENT scanner give me the dimensions l×w×h (closed) and open. I can then calculate the other dimensions from that. OR anybody who has a replica or bought a ENT scanner prop who could provide the dimensions would be great. In metric (cm) please.

Easiest of all, post a picture of a scanner with a metric ruler (cm)... hi-res if possible.

Thanks in advance...

Last edited:
20170629_213529-1.jpg

I don't know if this will help or not. This scanner was given to me years ago and I have no idea of it's origins or accuracy. I hope it helps.

Thanks rebelyell! It does indeed help.

It looks like the "static resin prop" I have seen on sale on a couple sites. I understand that it was cast from a stunt prop... So it'll give me a good idea to the overall size. From there i can calculate the fine details.

Thank you very much! :eek:)

I've modeled & 3D printed all the component parts in durable Nylon based on some screenused measurements. I've cleaned/sanded and primed up each part, I just need to get the pop-up mechanism in there.
I'll post some photos on the weekend, they may prove useful.

That would be great! Is it an stl file? I'm working in sketchup. Thanks I'll take all the info I can get. Thanks!

I work in Solidworks as I like the precision and it's what I'm used to.

I modeled the parts for the kit to allow maximum internal space for the pop-up mechanism and electronics... this could possibly accommodate a sound board.

ST ENT Hand Scanner kit by JamieThomas28, on Flickr

I work in Solidworks as I like the precision and it's what I'm used to.

I modeled the parts for the kit to allow maximum internal space for the pop-up mechanism and electronics... this could possibly accommodate a sound board.

[url]https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4259/35627089006_860b90dfef_c.jpg[/url]ST ENT Hand Scanner kit by JamieThomas28, on Flickr

Very Nice! Is solidworks better than sketchup? Which version and how much is solidworks? What where the general dimensions you used for your scanner?

Very Nice! Is solidworks better than sketchup? Which version and how much is solidworks? What where the general dimensions you used for your scanner?

Solidworks is more expensive than Sketchup since Sketchup is free.:lol
You can probably find an outdated copy like the 2006 version which would be cheaper than the 2017 version, but to be honest the type of 3D program you use isn't necessarily as important as how proficient and confident you are using the program you are most comfortable with.
If you are familiar enough with Sketchup to make what you need to, then I would stick with that. There are other programs like Rhino 3D or Maya but again they are expensive.

If you've not tried Blender, maybe give that a try, it is another great 3D modeling software package which is also free!

Blender is a very powerful 3D design software, but in my opinion not intuitive and overly complicated for simple operations.

Sketchup has been very easy to learn, very intuitive and simple to generate complex shapes even without pro.

As an update, I've determined the general dimensions I'll be using to draw up my 3D files for the ENT scanner. Yeah! Thank you to all that helped.

I've had great success so far with my trials on the ENT communicator for trouble shooting design and the actual printing.

View attachment 739890

I don't know if this will help or not. This scanner was given to me years ago and I have no idea of it's origins or accuracy. I hope it helps.

I'm fairly sure that was molded and cast from a rubber stunt scanner and isn't 100% accurate to the hero scanners with regard to dimensions.
There was a Screenused auction some years back for a hero ENT hand scanner, they posted a video to Youtube. In the video you can tell the stunt scanner in the photo above and the hero prop have differences.

Just a quick update.... got a good start in sketchup for the scanner... the outer details are easy, the hard part is figuring out the inner mechanisms for pop-up action.

ENTSCNR02_zpsuy7nw3cp.png~original

Okay so update time... I've almost finished the outside of the scanner in sketchup. Tonight I printed a test print. Oh I have not rounded the edges of the designs in case I need to fix dimensions... so you'll note that edges are hard and crisp unlike the final scanner will be. But I say its a successful test and design so far. Its in red PLA as that's what I have on my 3D printer right now... finished a "prop" for my 4yr daughter.

The last one is one with a 1:1 print of the scanner I am using for measurements. Again thanks Rebelyell for providing that photo... it really helped to set a scale. The picture is not mine and I found it at www.cygnus-x1.net, under the NX-01 deck plans. Its very accurate to the actual hero prop I've seen on youtube for an auction. If I put the 3D print over image its like 99% perfect lay-over, I can't see an issues with printing bigger or smaller.. some z issues but nothing I can't fix later.

Suggestions or comments welcome.

3DENTSCNR01.png3DENTSCNR02.png3DENTSCNR03.png

Have you been able to solve the inner mechanisms for the pop-up action?

So not 100%, I think I have a good idea. It will be similar to Stapletons ENT Scanner... in that it will be a pin button. Basically I'll print a "hook" that will snag a hole in the wall of the main scanner body when it's closed (maybe both sides for a good hold). I'll have a pin that pushes out the "hook" and presto.. spring up action... this works in my head but I haven't drawn this out. I am hoping the pin will be hidden in the bottom bump of the black grip parts

Again this works in my head... designing it... well that's another story.. but its a place to start.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back