Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice (Post-release)

Saw it today.

Was enjoyable, especially Batman. I thought Affleck knocked it out the park.

Some gripes though:
How many interpretations of Martha Wayne's pearls bouncing off the floor do I have to see? I think they could have worked in a short montage of how this universes Batman has been operating for 20 years instead. At one point I wasn't particularly sure if he'd only just decided to do the Batman thing purely for Superman.

Superman hadn't improved any from MoS and Lex was atrocious. It really pulled me out of the movie listening to his twitchy, weak, whiny voice. I just don't know what they were trying to get with all that.

Had to laugh when Joe Morton showed up as the guy creating Cyborg, don't think anyone else in the theatre picked up on that though.

Pretty much sums it up...

oa5PStF.jpg

When it get's broken down like that...
Ugh. It's tough to argue.

They made a superhero movie in which the heroes aren't very heroic.
There is little to no joy to be found in this film.
When I left I just felt kind of empty and blank.
A movie starring (arguably) the three most important superheroes ever created ought to make you feel inspired or awed, and I just felt defeated.
Wonder Woman got almost no characterization, so she gets a pass - but Batman and Superman are so thoroughly wrong. This movie makes me want to throw my hands in the air and walk away from DC films til they get their **** straight and yank their heroes away from Snyder's grim and depressing clutches.

I am pleased with a lot of what Zack has done. I don't understand the gripe with Batman killing. After years of dealing with the worst of the worst and having thugs etc trying to kill you, even in today's society, you are justified in killing them. The last fight when he saved Martha, he didn't jump through the ground and shot everyone. Did he kill most of them, yes. Why? Because they kidnapped Martha, were going to kill her, and tried to kill him. Nothing wrong with this in any way. I'm perfectly fine with a darker version of Batman who is willing to go the distance when needed. The no kill rule actually kind of irritated me simply because he is such a dark and broken character. The moral high ground of, "He tried to kill me and thousands of people, but I'm better." to me a some PC era Batman I don't care to see any more of.

Now, Batman's dream plus the flash showing up. To me, Zack has a specific direction he's going. And I'm on board. I completely believe the dream was more then that, but a vision of what's coming. The flash or someone showing him what's coming. I have a feeling they are going to do a variation of Infinite Crisis, Flash Point, Injustice or a combination of. I think what Batman saw is going to happen, but like Flashpoint, it will be up to the flash or batman to undo what has happened to give us an alternate timeline/truer lighter version of the heroes we know.

Superman is dead. But we all know he will come back. In what form or how is yet to be seen. He may not come back the savior, but perhaps the ruler like Injustice with Darkseid pulling strings somehow. I for one am happy to see such a different take on the characters, and seeing a direction that isn't so black and white or not so blatantly obvious of what's coming. When I saw Doomsday, I prayed he wasn't going to be wasted. I hoped that somehow Zack was going to be strong enough to kill Superman, but wasn't sure if he could pull it off. I loved it. I loved Affleck as Batman, Cavill was better then MoS, Wonder Woman was awesome, I liked how the cameos were more then just a name drop, but not a huge part of the movie, and I even enjoyed the crazy version of Lex. He's a genius, but very unstable and he cracks several times. Very obvious. Very realistic. I watched it twice and have very few gripes or nitpicks. Can't wait to see what's next.

Does nobody remember when Michael Keaton's Batman set a thug on fire with the batmobile's rocket engine? Surely he knew the guy was gonna die as a result.

Does nobody remember when Michael Keaton's Batman set a thug on fire with the batmobile's rocket engine? Surely he knew the guy was gonna die as a result.

Not to mention driving into Axis Chemicals in full armored form, getting surrounded by Joker's thugs, and dropping bombs that pretty much leveled the entire place right at their feet.

Yep. My friends and I we're enjoying the film until the first kill. We basically were devastated and shocked as the rest of the crowd clearly non-comic readers just ate it up
because simply nothing was wrong for them. Thank god The Animated Series came along and Mask of the Phantasm.

Saw this Sunday. I went in with extremely low expectations. To preface, I've been avidly reading comics since I was about 6 years old; I will be 47 in May. I started out reading the comic-books my dad had kept from when he was young. So, I've been reading Batman from 1940's-era to present.

I will be brief:
Lex Luthor: Didn't like. I got quickly fatigued with his overly-quirky, twitchy, stuttering, fast-talking, looney-millenial-Steve-Jobs schtick.
Wonder Woman: Awesome! Was super surprised to see Gal ACE that role, can't wait to see more of it.
Superman: Good. I'm OK with the less goody-two-shoes, more moody version. That golly-gee-ultimate-boy-scout thing is no longer "believable" in modern society imo.
Batman: Astounding. Affleck is the greatest version of the Batman ever to grace the big screen. He jumped straight out of Miller's TDKR graphic novel.

Were there plot holes? Sure. Stuff that could have been done better? Isn't there almost always? I left the theater entertained, & can't wait to see what's next.

COME AT ME, BRO!!!

The burton batman followed by kilmer sure dint care about keeping bad guys alive same with the nolan verse (altho not that many). It kind of removes the impact of when they eventually cross that line. Same with superman really just looking at christopher reeves version. Superman 2 where basicly both Lois and superman should have been arrested for murder (killing non-powered kryptonians). When i was young i dint think much of it but when you read the comics you learn more about what these heroes are about and that was my biggest complaint that batman killed and not just one but several.

Last edited:
Just saw the movie and thoroughly loved it. This was my favorite Batman by far (couldn't stand Bale's version). My boys loved it and my wife just likes looking at Henry Cavill. I went in wanting to be entertained and I very much was. Sorry if my opinion is in the minority, but I can't wait to see it again.

Quick question, how is it handled with Batman and the Nolan universe? Just wondering how it was reconciled with the ending of the Dark Knight Rises. Is it touched or discussed or just ignored?

AH! Ok thanks for the info! Considering the end of The Dark Knight Rises was pretty clear cut I didn't know how that would be handled.

Yeah they're completely different universes. The TDK trilogy is its own thing, there is no continuity between it and the new DCEU.

I think the issue people have with Batman killing people is kind of like the issue people would have if Captain America suddenly said "I dunno. Maybe what this country needs is to have the weak be ruled by the strong. Maybe fascism isn't so bad after all..."

I think the issue people have with Batman killing people is kind of like the issue people would have if Captain America suddenly said "I dunno. Maybe what this country needs is to have the weak be ruled by the strong. Maybe fascism isn't so bad after all..."

This right here sums it up perfectly!

Firstly, it doesn't mean he designed them. WW's logo is on her chest. Flash is fast, so... a lightning bolt is pretty straightforward. If I'm not mistaken, Aquaman was just an A, and the file was called "aquatic research."
Apparently Lex did create their logos and names, according to Zack Snyder.

Empire Podcast Interview:
Chris Hewitt - ... Lex is investigating each one of (the metahumans). The folders have the logos for each one of them which means that Lex is effectively the creator of ...
Zack Snyder - ... I kinda like that. I know that's sacrilege, but I kinda love it. When you think about it ... I like thinking about it in the sort of, like, really sort of straightforward way that you can imagine, sort of as a naming convention, Wonder Woman would really not have gotten her name from anyone other than someone who was trying to file her somewhere, right? And Flash feels like the same thing. And Aquaman certainly feels like a pretty straightforward approach to that. And Cyborg also. I mean, when you think about their actual names, though iconographic, umm ... kinda the first thing you think of. It's not like they went down a giant rabbit hole with, like, the naming conventions.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back