Movies you hate that everyone else likes

The God Father. i just can't get through it. It just seems so over the top, and it insists upon itself.....
I can understand this because I struggled for decades with The Godfather. I didn't dislike it, but I didn't see why so many people held it in such high regard. I'd re-watch it now and then, but my opinion didn't change. Then, in 2008, a friend invited me to a special screening at the Cinerama Dome in Hollywood (California) that was intended to publicize the release of the newly restored movie on DVD and Blu-Ray. I don't know why--first time seeing it on the big screen, a theater that offered no distractions, the energy from an audience of die-hard fans, or whatever--but at that screening it suddenly became one of my favorite movies.

The Avengers
The Dark Knight
Inception
The Godfather I + II​
Monty Python and The Holy Grail
Fight Club
The Shawshank Redemption​
The Wizard of Oz
Pulp Fiction
Die Hard

Last edited by a moderator:
BLADE RUNNER!

I watched it as a pre teen. Watched it in my late teens. Revisited it when the new film came out. OMG its so boring. I actually prefered the new one.

Ok....... now you can all throw rocks at me. My deep dark sci fi secret is out. I DONT LIKE BLADE RUNNER!!!

The Martian.

Completely overrated.

It's a great premise but, was disappointingly conventional and completely forgettable. What a wasted opportunity. I couldn't believe people were predicting this would become a "classic".

This film should have been rooted in isolation and hopelessness if he's stranded out in Mars - but, just cutting back and forth from the drama on Earth, loses all of that. You knew from the start it he was going to get rescued somehow. It takes all the tension out of his survival story. From Ridley Scott who created Alien, one of the best depictions of isolation in sci-fi, I expected more. As a result this movie was just a structural remake of Ron Howard's Apollo 13 (conventional drama) when it should have had more in common with Moon (2009) (genuine classic hard sci-fi) and Robinson Crusoe on Mars (1964)(also classic).

The Anchorman movies. I found NOTHING funny about it, just annoying (I only tried first one). Barely made it through only because I was watching with other people

Have you ever met a guy who believes so strongly that he's funny he thinks nothing about making a complete ass of himself all the time? And his conviction drives his insipid behavior which can sometimes make you laugh, mostly in disbelief in what you are witnessing?

Will Farrell is sometimes genuinely funny and sometimes just cloying but mostly falls within that realm for me.

Buckaroo Banzi. I can't say I hate it.. exactly.. but man... it was really boring. Really.

Also The Life Aquatic. Now that's a movie I can't stand. So much talent, so much BORING. Really shocked me that a movie with so many of my favorite actors could just be so down right uninteresting and dull.

Absolutely can't stand Home Alone...
I might have told this story somewhere here before, but when Home Alone premiered I went to see it with three friends, one of whom has been my best friend for 45 years. He and I sat stone-faced through the entire movie not even so much as chuckling once, while everyone else in the theater was laughing their backsides off, including the other two friends who were a younger couple that my best friend worked with at the time. While discussing it afterward, we realized the movie had no impact on us because we'd already seen every one of those slapstick gags performed far better by people like Buster Keaton, Charlie Chaplin, and Harold Lloyd. So, yeah, not a fan.

Buckaroo Banzi. I can't say I hate it.. exactly.. but man... it was really boring. Really.
I really, really wanted to like this movie. But it just felt like a mainstream production trying way too hard to be a cult film.

Also The Life Aquatic. Now that's a movie I can't stand. So much talent, so much BORING. Really shocked me that a movie with so many of my favorite actors could just be so down right uninteresting and dull.
Painful movie that proves that Wes Anderson is so self indulgent it is impossible to parody his movies because they would be, literally, indistinguishable from each other.

Titanic
BvS
Independence Day
Any Pauly Shore movie
Most Wil Ferrel movies (I did like The Lego Movie)
Elf

I like A Christmas Story but not enough to watch more than once in a great while (sorry TBS & TNT showing it all day). I can watch It’s a Wonderful Life more often.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I haven't attempted to watch these again in many years, but:

Gone With the Wind and Casablanca.

I felt they were just simply boring. I may eventually give them another shot, now that I am older.

One I'm a little ashamed to admit that I don't like is:

The Good, The Bad and The Ugly.

I love A Fistful of Dollars (and even the Bruce Willis remake, Last Man Standing) and For a Few Dollars More, but when it came to the third movie in the Man With No Name, I didn't care for it. I'd rather watch High Plains Drifter or The Outlaw Josie Wales.

Gone With the Wind and Casablanca.

I love Casablanca, but Gone With The Wind...
I don't know why anyone gives a damn about that movie. Rhett and Scarlett are both despicable human beings.
In my brain-canon they die in each other's arms shortly after they meet when a burning house collapses on them.
Only takes 4 seconds to imagine and it saves me 4 hours of wretched tedium.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back