Solo: A Star Wars Story

There's also an alien with six eyes with the nickname Sixeyes.

View attachment 806985

Seriously, these sound like Transformer names. At least GL and crew knew how to make alien sounding names.

Ah right, like Hammerhead, or Walrus Man, or Snaggletooth. It wasn't GL and crew who eventually gave better names to the alien characters and species.

Sometimes when GL and crew came up with their own names, they were just as jokey. What species is Admiral Ackbar again? Oh yeah, Mon Calamari, which might as well be "Squid Man".

This is right in line with classic Star Wars. Lobster Thermidor. Get it? He's a lobster, so they named him Therm.

Ah right, like Hammerhead, or Walrus Man, or Snaggletooth. It wasn't GL and crew who eventually gave better names to the alien characters and species.

Sometimes when GL and crew came up with their own names, they were just as jokey. What species is Admiral Ackbar again? Oh yeah, Mon Calamari, which might as well be "Squid Man".

This is right in line with classic Star Wars. Lobster Thermidor. Get it? He's a lobster, so they named him Therm.

Hammerhead, Walrus Man, and Snaggletooth weren't names. Those were descriptions for Kenner toys to use since they couldn't just leave the name space blank.

Since you don't seem to be aware, GL was full owner of Lucasfilm. And LF fully owned Star Wars. Any work on SW was done under GL. Hence GL's crew.

Ah, Ackbar.....even in jest Mon Calamari still sounds alien and different. Unlike "Scissorpunch" and "Sixeyes". I'd call your choice a cherry pick, but it completely fails to sound as utterly on the nose as these two Solo aliens and thus fails as an example of such.

The Solo crew should have taken a page from GL's Lucasfilm and actually translated those names to another language, instead of just trying to ape prior naming conventions. Hiring the wrong directors and lead actor weren't the only mistakes made this time around.

Hammerhead, Walrus Man, and Snaggletooth weren't names. Those were descriptions for Kenner toys to use since they couldn't just leave the name space blank.

Since you don't seem to be aware, GL was full owner of Lucasfilm. And LF fully owned Star Wars. Any work on SW was done under GL. Hence GL's crew.

Ah, Ackbar.....even in jest Mon Calamari still sounds alien and different. Unlike "Scissorpunch" and "Sixeyes". I'd call your choice a cherry pick, but it completely fails to sound as utterly on the nose as these two Solo aliens and thus fails as an example of such.

The Solo crew should have taken a page from GL's Lucasfilm and actually translated those names to another language, instead of just trying to ape prior naming conventions. Hiring the wrong directors and lead actor weren't the only mistakes made this time around.

The reason why the Kenner toys didn't have proper names is because names did not exist for them until much later. Sure I am aware that Lucas owned Lucasfilm, but I would not give any creative credit to Lucas for having had a licensing division that allowed licensed authors to flesh out these background characters with names and species and backstory many years down the road. I seriously doubt that Lucas had any input beyond "yeah, yeah, sure, whatever.", if he was ever even aware of any of it. Nobody that Lucas employed came up with any of that stuff. They just made sure that a list of rules got followed by licensees.

I picked Mon Calarmari because it is precisely as on the nose for a squid man as Therm is for a lobster man. Therm at least sounds remotely alien. Calamari is just Italian for squid.

I agree that Scissorpunch and Sixeyes are weak names, but they are not remotely outside the realm of what Lucas brought to the table when he was running Lucasfilm. Nobody cared about these things 41 years ago when they were making the original movie, and that didn't change much with the rest of the movies that Lucas made. Background aliens in ROTJ got names like Yak Face, and these characters from Solo are probably no different. I'm guessing that Therm has a slightly more prominent part than Sixeyes, hence getting the punny name like Ackbar's species.

Solo might totally disappoint, but it certainly won't be because of these names. Those stupid names would fit right in with the original playbook, so lets not kid ourselves.

Just pretend that years have passed, and somebody included Sixeyes in their comic book. They took a page from GL's Lucasfilm and allowed it when the comic writer named him Anim Na Mata (six eyes translated into Tagalog, the language borrowed from for the Ewok language). Would that make it a better movie for you,somehow? I guess you would have to give KK's Lucasfilm the credit for it, though.

Yeah, people may have forgotten, but a LOT of the "lore" of the Star Wars universe was added after the fact and not by George himself. Like, the names for races, the names of the companies that built this or that spaceship, designations for ships (as opposed to just names for them), blaster names, a ton of that stuff was created by West End Games for their Star Wars RPG.

So, "Ree Yees" was just a name given to the figure for Kenner, but he was later described to be a member of the "gran" species. Lucas didn't create stuff like that, or at least didn't do it on his own. And, of course, there's Elian Sleazebagano and such.

Lastly, if it's not clear, "Six Eyes" is a nickname, not his full name.

I don't really care about the names of characters who are very likely background characters with probably zero to two lines. If they'd named Emelia Clarke's character "Thronesgamia C'tressa" then I'd have a problem.

So, "Ree Yees" was just a name given to the figure for Kenner, but he was later described to be a member of the "gran" species. Lucas didn't create stuff like that, or at least didn't do it on his own. And, of course, there's Elian Sleazebagano and such.

I think it was the Art of Return of the Jedi, Ree Yees was called "Three Eyes"

Then changed to thRee eYees

J

I think it was the Art of Return of the Jedi, Ree Yees was called "Three Eyes"

Then changed to thRee eYees

J
Yeah, that'd fit. And "Six Eyes" looks to be either the same species but with some mutation, or to be a sub-race of the same species.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Yep,....just to satisfy my curiosity.....The Art of ROTJ, "Three Eyes"

IMG_7707.jpg

J

I will be pissed if Bandai produced that ugly AT-AT from TLJ but doesnt jump on board with the Solo movie Falcon.

[emoji34]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I will be pissed if Bandai produced that ugly AT-AT from TLJ but doesnt jump on board with the Solo movie Falcon.

[emoji34]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They had a beautiful large-format model of the AT-M6 walker at Launch Bay in Disney. I don't care what anyone says, I'd love to have a model like that.

The reason why the Kenner toys didn't have proper names is because names did not exist for them until much later. Sure I am aware that Lucas owned Lucasfilm, but I would not give any creative credit to Lucas for having had a licensing division that allowed licensed authors to flesh out these background characters with names and species and backstory many years down the road. I seriously doubt that Lucas had any input beyond "yeah, yeah, sure, whatever.", if he was ever even aware of any of it. Nobody that Lucas employed came up with any of that stuff. They just made sure that a list of rules got followed by licensees.

I picked Mon Calarmari because it is precisely as on the nose for a squid man as Therm is for a lobster man. Therm at least sounds remotely alien. Calamari is just Italian for squid.

I agree that Scissorpunch and Sixeyes are weak names, but they are not remotely outside the realm of what Lucas brought to the table when he was running Lucasfilm. Nobody cared about these things 41 years ago when they were making the original movie, and that didn't change much with the rest of the movies that Lucas made. Background aliens in ROTJ got names like Yak Face, and these characters from Solo are probably no different. I'm guessing that Therm has a slightly more prominent part than Sixeyes, hence getting the punny name like Ackbar's species.

Solo might totally disappoint, but it certainly won't be because of these names. Those stupid names would fit right in with the original playbook, so lets not kid ourselves.

Just pretend that years have passed, and somebody included Sixeyes in their comic book. They took a page from GL's Lucasfilm and allowed it when the comic writer named him Anim Na Mata (six eyes translated into Tagalog, the language borrowed from for the Ewok language). Would that make it a better movie for you,somehow? I guess you would have to give KK's Lucasfilm the credit for it, though.

It's like I'm hearing an echo. Since that is exactly what I said to you in the quote your posting, concerning Kenner. It also compels me to question whether you actually knew that because I said GL's crew was better at names and you responded with Hammerhead etc....as if you thought those were names....:rolleyes

Thermidor is just French. Also, why is that more alien sounding than an Italian word? Especially considering that English has more Lexical similarity (same or similar words) to French than Italian. But the part of that characters name really in question is "Scissorpunch". Why is this so hard to understand?.....:confused

Solo is already disappointing.

@mkstewartesq
If Solo movie crew were naming him he'd be Elian Deathsticks......:lol

It's like I'm hearing an echo. Since that is exactly what I said to you in the quote your posting, concerning Kenner. It also compels me to question whether you actually knew that because I said GL's crew was better at names and you responded with Hammerhead etc....as if you thought those were names....:rolleyes

Thermidor is just French. Also, why is that more alien sounding than an Italian word? Especially considering that English has more Lexical similarity (same or similar words) to French than Italian. But the part of that characters name really in question is "Scissorpunch". Why is this so hard to understand?.....:confused

Solo is already disappointing.

@mkstewartesq
If Solo movie crew were naming him he'd be Elian Deathsticks......:lol

You figured me out! In my head-canon, an Ithorian couple decided to name their baby Hammerhead, and I have never questioned it for 40 years since I got my Hammerhead figure from the Kenner early-bird certificate in 1978, right up until you explained it to me and blew my mind. :rolleyes

Up until a point, those were the names. Kenner didn't make them up. "GL's crew" provided those as the names, because real names didn't exist yet. Those were the names they were referred to with in the production of the movie, and what Kenner was given. Nobody could even be bothered to come up with real names until years later, and it didn't have anything to do with GL's crew.

They didn't name the new lobster man Thermidor. They shortened it to Therm, which is at least more than they did with Calimari. At least they switched up the order and called them Mon Calimari, rather than Calimari Mon. That elicits images of Ackbar with dreads, smoking a spliff and praising Jah.

Your argument has almost completely broken down, with the exception being "Scissorpunch". I agree with that much. Scissorpunch sounds silly, and ill-fitting for Star Wars. However, as Dan said above, I'm sure it is just a silly nickname, and no more intended to be the proper name of the character than Hammerhead was back in '77. I'm sorry, but a silly nickname is hardly damning of the Solo movie production.

The Solo movie crew, in this case, remained consistent with what GL's crew did back in the day. In one case, you act like it was genius, and in the other you cry foul for them having aped the original. Well, that's what you eventually did, anyway. At first, you just acted like if GL and his crew would have come up with better "names" for their characters. I responded to that because it just doesn't hold true.

Thanks to everybody else for all the other great examples of the exact same treatment for referring to background aliens, in the OT and PT, straight from "GL's crew".

You figured me out! In my head-canon, an Ithorian couple decided to name their baby Hammerhead, and I have never questioned it for 40 years since I got my Hammerhead figure from the Kenner early-bird certificate in 1978, right up until you explained it to me and blew my mind. :rolleyes

Up until a point, those were the names. Kenner didn't make them up. "GL's crew" provided those as the names, because real names didn't exist yet. Those were the names they were referred to with in the production of the movie, and what Kenner was given. Nobody could even be bothered to come up with real names until years later, and it didn't have anything to do with GL's crew.

They didn't name the new lobster man Thermidor. They shortened it to Therm, which is at least more than they did with Calimari. At least they switched up the order and called them Mon Calimari, rather than Calimari Mon. That elicits images of Ackbar with dreads, smoking a spliff and praising Jah.

Your argument has almost completely broken down, with the exception being "Scissorpunch". I agree with that much. Scissorpunch sounds silly, and ill-fitting for Star Wars. However, as Dan said above, I'm sure it is just a silly nickname, and no more intended to be the proper name of the character than Hammerhead was back in '77. I'm sorry, but a silly nickname is hardly damning of the Solo movie production.

The Solo movie crew, in this case, remained consistent with what GL's crew did back in the day. In one case, you act like it was genius, and in the other you cry foul for them having aped the original. Well, that's what you eventually did, anyway. At first, you just acted like if GL and his crew would have come up with better "names" for their characters. I responded to that because it just doesn't hold true.

Thanks to everybody else for all the other great examples of the exact same treatment for referring to background aliens, in the OT and PT, straight from "GL's crew".

And yet, you thought those were actual names instead of a placeholder description....:unsure

Anything created by anyone concerning SW is owned by LF. And at that point in time, that would be GL and crew. Otherwise, there would be TONS of people with ownership of parts and pieces of the totality of SW, especially considering all that EU content.

You haven't really broken down "My argument" since it was aimed at the on the nose names of "Sixeyes" and "Scissorpunch" part of the moniker. Which anyone that can understand context clues would discern. Your whole Therm argument is basically just a poorly conceived strawman or you truly could not understand which part of his name I was addressing when I said it sounded like Transformer names. Either way, your mistake.

The Solo movie crew is full of hacks and I said they were "trying to ape", not that they succeeded. So you aren't even reading my posts correctly.....:rolleyes

And yet, you thought those were actual names instead of a placeholder description....:unsure

Anything created by anyone concerning SW is owned by LF. And at that point in time, that would be GL and crew. Otherwise, there would be TONS of people with ownership of parts and pieces of the totality of SW, especially considering all that EU content.

You haven't really broken down "My argument" since it was aimed at the on the nose names of "Sixeyes" and "Scissorpunch" part of the moniker. Which anyone that can understand context clues would discern. Your whole Therm argument is basically just a poorly conceived strawman or you truly could not understand which part of his name I was addressing when I said it sounded like Transformer names. Either way, your mistake.

The Solo movie crew is full of hacks and I said they were "trying to ape", not that they succeeded. So you aren't even reading my posts correctly.....:rolleyes

Placeholder descriptions that stuck around for a decade plus, that is. You are the one who criticized what are clearly also placeholder descriptive names, and postulated that no such thing would have happened while GL was in control of it all.

Ownership is one thing, and creative credit is something entirely different. Go find work as a professional creative in the entertainment biz for 25 years, and then you can get back to me on that subject with some authority. Regardless of LF having ownership of anything, there are tons of people due creative credit for the myriad details of the Star Wars universe, including the proper names they eventually came up with for background aliens.

Your argument, even if confined to just Six Eyes and Therm Scissorpunch, does not hold much water, so I responded to say so. I even conceded that I too think that Scissorpunch is a silly name, but I still don't believe that it is a valid argument to say it is any sillier than the "placeholder descriptions" that preceded it from GL's crew.

My mistake is feeding the troll. There isn't anything I have stated that would constitute a strawman argument. Therm was part of the same discussion that preceded your post that I quoted, and is absolutely part of the context of the discussion. It is literally the first half of one of the "names" that you criticized. Which one of us doesn't understand context, or strawman arguments for that matter?

How does one try to ape? How does one succeed or fail to ape? Imitation is just imitation, regardless of quality of performance. They either imitated, or they didn't. The Solo movie crew imitated what GL's crew did, whether anyone cares for it or not. Damned if they do, and damned if they don't.

You seemed to think that GL's crew would have come up with better names, when in fact history shows that they never bothered to, and used very comparable "placeholder descriptions", as you now call them. You want to criticize one crew's behavior over the other, when the behavior is really no different, and that is all I ever intended to point out. There are plenty of valid reasons to have concerns about how the Solo movie will turn out, but I just don't think that these "names" are one of them.

Placeholder descriptions that stuck around for a decade plus, that is. You are the one who criticized what are clearly also placeholder descriptive names, and postulated that no such thing would have happened while GL was in control of it all.

Ownership is one thing, and creative credit is something entirely different. Go find work as a professional creative in the entertainment biz for 25 years, and then you can get back to me on that subject with some authority. Regardless of LF having ownership of anything, there are tons of people due creative credit for the myriad details of the Star Wars universe, including the proper names they eventually came up with for background aliens.

Your argument, even if confined to just Six Eyes and Therm Scissorpunch, does not hold much water, so I responded to say so. I even conceded that I too think that Scissorpunch is a silly name, but I still don't believe that it is a valid argument to say it is any sillier than the "placeholder descriptions" that preceded it from GL's crew.

My mistake is feeding the troll. There isn't anything I have stated that would constitute a strawman argument. Therm was part of the same discussion that preceded your post that I quoted, and is absolutely part of the context of the discussion. It is literally the first half of one of the "names" that you criticized. Which one of us doesn't understand context, or strawman arguments for that matter?

How does one try to ape? How does one succeed or fail to ape? Imitation is just imitation, regardless of quality of performance. They either imitated, or they didn't. The Solo movie crew imitated what GL's crew did, whether anyone cares for it or not. Damned if they do, and damned if they don't.

You seemed to think that GL's crew would have come up with better names, when in fact history shows that they never bothered to, and used very comparable "placeholder descriptions", as you now call them. You want to criticize one crew's behavior over the other, when the behavior is really no different, and that is all I ever intended to point out. There are plenty of valid reasons to have concerns about how the Solo movie will turn out, but I just don't think that these "names" are one of them.

"Walrus Man" is a convenient description for an alien that looked and sounded like a Walrus. A character that was never addressed on screen by name. The fact that LF approved the name Sawkee, proves they never intended for "Walrus Man" to be a name. The fact that they later changed it to Punda Baba, which sounds even more alien, proves it twice over. Pretty much the same story for other similarly described and situated characters.

Those creative people got their credit...it's called a credit. Ownership and approval were still LF's to give or deny. Also, by admitting they are giving characters "proper names" you are pretty much reinforcing that those were actually just descriptions.....:D And, trying to use your resume as proof of correctness is fallacious.

I didn't say those names were silly. I said they sound like Transformer names and were on the nose.

Oh look, a troll accusation....:rolleyes

Aping means to mimic or imitate. Therefore trying to ape, in the context I used it, means you tried to mimic or imitate without actually succeeding.

GL's crew did come up with better names. Especially what was used on screen and not just a bunch of background nothings whose names were never mentioned on said screen.

Yes, the biggest problem is Spielberg. He told his old secretary to use AE and she did. Now we have a nasally, high pitched Han Solo......:facepalm

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back