Build: Luke Macrobinoculars (ANH Hero)

I hope trooper shows that off before he sends it over to you. I'd be interested to know what camera he's using.
Last "working" one I saw was by Jim "Hyperdyne" Shima over 10 years ago.

LOVELY!!!

Waiting on my parts from @trooper, who will add some of his "magic" to my build by incorporating a working camera into my hero macros :)
Can´t wait to rebuild mine with all the new parts and based on the new informations :cool

- - - Updated - - -

That's how I am going to do mine, figuring that's what the prop makers did back in 76.

Good to see that these parts match up really well w/ what photos we have.:thumbsup

I mounted my mystery box setup using two M2.5mmx0.45mm machine screws. These were the closest I could find to the connector's stock faceplate screws. None of the big-box stores had anything close (as expected) but Ace had some of these in their "miniscrews" drawer. I almost missed them. They didn't have any locking nuts in that size, so I just used two nuts tightened against each other. The screws threaded into the plug surprisingly well, making a solid connection. This thing isn't going anywhere, and if I do ever get my hands on the accurate green-tab faceplate, it's an easy swap/re-mount:

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4678/25213320477_1677fd7965_o.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I hope @trooper shows that off before he sends it over to you. I'd be interested to know what camera he's using.
Last "working" one I saw was by Jim "Hyperdyne" Shima over 10 years ago.

It´s a small car dashboard camera he´s modifying.
He got it all figured out to work with his own mystery box, but has to find a way to make it function with the EIAJ plug now :/
trooper : Jerry, your turn buddy! ;)

Ive used dash cams on all my earlier builds and commissions. The one I used is no longer made and its been a challenge finding a new one that allows for moving the camera sensor into the Kaligar lens housing. Im working with a member here on a project to use a Raspberry PI with custom software. We are in the beginning phase but it will be killer when we are finished. Imagine a touch screen that can the show camera view and multimedia on a screen located in the lens hood. I will be loading some SW clips and sounds as well. Old style-
IMG_9303.JPGIMG_9354.JPGIMG_9304.JPG

ive done a few builds with the dash cams, you can see some on my youtube, gluejunky

the camera ive used is the f900 dvr
you need a camera that has a moving lens and screen, this is so you can add a longer system strap/cord to extend the leangth.

this new version of the build im doing for marcus, im not able to use my resin mystery box that i modify so i can used it as a 3 position rocker switch. the new one im using is a 5 way micro toggle switch that will be hidden int the tube on the newly found connector. im going to solder everything up tonight, last night i maped out the wires and did a quick test. the buttons use a common ground which is very useful :D

I know you need a moving camera and lens and the model show in my pic is exactly that. Thats what is used on my builds going back to 2011. I'll check out the F900.

My ideal in-macro video setup would be simply a clean video feed with no data overlaid atop the image, zero menus to see/navigate upon startup before camera view is displayed (unless a cool image could be pre-loaded) and (ideally) optical zoom, to mimic the intended function of the film prop. Also ideally, these features could be wired into physical switches on the prop. I know these aren't all simple requests, but are these features that could be possible with your proposed kit, Cameron ?

My ideal in-macro video setup would be simply a clean video feed with no data overlaid atop the image, zero menus to see/navigate upon startup before camera view is displayed (unless a cool image could be pre-loaded) and (ideally) optical zoom, to mimic the intended function of the film prop. Also ideally, these features could be wired into physical switches on the prop. I know these aren't all simple requests, but are these features that could be possible with your proposed kit, @Cameron ?

Ya never know :) But all things are being explored.

I m trying to do it with the little pi zero. It’s my first pi project, so I may go back to an arduino, but interested to see thes other options as well!

What is the consensus on the pair of small knobs on the top and side? Seagull or Kalimar? I seem to remember a debate about what was actually used. Does anyone make an accurate transition box? After looking at mine it is a bit undersized. Also, doesn't the entire plug look painted black except for the connector pins?

to my knowledge all the guys that have been at this for years say it's all four kalimars, there are a couple newbs ive seen say otherwise lol :) but no, it's 4 kalimars !
the green tab shows clearly through, leading me to think they only painted the female section black

What is the consensus on the pair of small knobs on the top and side? Seagull or Kalimar? I seem to remember a debate about what was actually used. Does anyone make an accurate transition box? After looking at mine it is a bit undersized. Also, doesn't the entire plug look painted black except for the connector pins?

I disagree. For me it's 2 Seagulls on the side and 2 Kalimar on the transition box.

And I have more than enough from each to not be biased by that. .

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back