What's a good fabric for Robin costumes for kids

sp1derman

Sr Member
So I'm soon going to be able to finally build my dream Batsuit (arkham knight) after saving and planning for quite a while. And to match daddy I want to build my little girl a Robin costume (I really like Damien Wayne version from the animated films.

91f28fe8f9687265fd26e4810f9e19a5.jpg

My plan is to make it bit more girly. Longer tunic and leggings with a red stripe up the side (taking bit of influence from batgirl 52)

However I'm not sure what material is best for the tunic, I'd like it to have some texture and not be so bland. But it also need to have stretch a breath well as like me my daughter gets really hot and she is only 3 this is why I want to avoid leather, rubber or puff painted fabric.

Any suggestions for fabric?

Also are there any patterns for this style of Cape with a hood and not so many pannels?

Thanks

Sent From The Batcave

For the cape, I suggest finding a cheap "little red riding hood" costume, because the hooded cape should be a similar design. You can cut that apart and use it as a pattern to make a duplicate in the fabric/color of your choosing.

As for the tunic: I am a little unclear on what it is you are going for. It sounds like you want something form-fitting, not made of spandex, but also not restrictive in movement or insulation. If that is not correct, ignore the following and please clarify. If it is correct, I would hit up a fabric store and try to find a cotton fabric in the right color. A tunic made of that will have enough elasticity that you could make it form fitting without it suffocating the wearer, and would still drape properly. Or, you could go with a more textured fabric like Cordura, and make the black accent lines of the tunic black spandex. It would be more sewing work since you would have multiple panels, but the tunic would have "venting" and stretch along the black lines.

For the cape, I suggest finding a cheap "little red riding hood" costume, because the hooded cape should be a similar design. You can cut that apart and use it as a pattern to make a duplicate in the fabric/color of your choosing.

As for the tunic: I am a little unclear on what it is you are going for. It sounds like you want something form-fitting, not made of spandex, but also not restrictive in movement or insulation. If that is not correct, ignore the following and please clarify. If it is correct, I would hit up a fabric store and try to find a cotton fabric in the right color. A tunic made of that will have enough elasticity that you could make it form fitting without it suffocating the wearer, and would still drape properly. Or, you could go with a more textured fabric like Cordura, and make the black accent lines of the tunic black spandex. It would be more sewing work since you would have multiple panels, but the tunic would have "venting" and stretch along the black lines.
2694d638127858da987fc7c988e61701.jpg
was thinking of using this for the tunic
8bd9f6928a67c6f16933d5651b7e7460.jpg

And this for the Cape sewing the yellow in to line the hooded black Cape
4ef648fabdbee10f50b764c8acd315e8.jpg

What do you think?

Thanks

Sent From The Batcave

I used leggings, knee pads, and two t-shirts dyed red and green ( the red shirt I cut the sleeves off) then yellow webbing for a belt. Worked pretty good.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    963.4 KB · Views: 159
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 172
This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back