Hush Cowl EMERGENCY!

maxthue

Hi It really pains me to post something so horrific on here..

But does anybody know how to repair/fix/patch this!
2015-10-20 15.41.08.jpg

The cowl was a size or 2 too small for me, so i snipped a little opening in the back of the neck, and as i took it on.... it teared..
I'm un the brink of exploding into a raging fit!

So does anybody know how it can be fixed before Halloween?

I would suggest cutting it off at the neck, add a zipper to the inside of the neck and cowl backs to try and minimize damage. Urethane isn't always the easiest to work with.

I know this is a bit late but once urethane is cut like that it will tear like a tissue. It is important to round off the end of your cut in order to reduce the possibility of it continuing to tear.

I'd start by treating this like a bike tire puncture. In fact grabbing a tyre repair kit may not be the worst idea! You'll want to do 2 things: glue the seam shut as flawlessly as possible, and reinforce it to prevent further damage. To seal the seam, I'd suggest a strong and flexible superglue, something like Loctite's PowerFlex gel. To reinforce the tear, I'd either gluing another strip of urethane rubber (probably about 1-2" wide) or a strong non-stretch fabric.

To be honest it's not really fixable. You could patch it, sure, but considering it's already too small for you, it's not going to hold. As previously stated, urethane has a low tear strength rating, once it starts you can't really stop it.

My reevez hush cowl tore as well and I had some craft foam added to the inside while lining up the tear. Once that was glued I had black plastidip added to the outside of the entire cowl. Once dried it's flexible enough and strong enough to be worn again. The tear line is hardly noticeable anymore

- - - Updated - - -

Here is what my cowl looks like after the fix. The cowl tore from the jaw up to the eye. The side profile you can barley see the tear scar.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    117.8 KB · Views: 144
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    115.3 KB · Views: 157
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    126.7 KB · Views: 147
My cowl is urethane and plasti-dip works perfectly well. Zero issues.

Wow. First time I ve heard of that happening. Over at the BOTB, We use quite a bit of plasi dip and then I've heard nothing but fails and horror stories about trying to use it on vinyl and urethane. I've also heard one brother say, he got it to go on but eventually it peeled away. Glad it worked for you though.

Yeah a buddy of mine help apply it. Has been using plastidip on his 89 cowl for 14 years and his is urethane as well. Guess it all matters how you use it and how you treat the cowl first.

Yeah a buddy of mine help apply it. Has been using plastidip on his 89 cowl for 14 years and his is urethane as well. Guess it all matters how you use it and how you treat the cowl first.
So your buddy has continuously used plastidip on his cowl? I have been working with urethane for over 7 years now. I have used many different brands as well and I have yet to get plastidip to stick to any of them. Including pre prepping the surface on a few of them. I currently have a layer on a neck piece I just ran yesterday that I also just pre prepped. My experience has been it only takes a slight rubbing and off the plastidip comes.
For the OP of this thread I wouldnt go rushing out to buy plastidip just yet. I will provide an update with the results on the neck.

Three layers of plastidip and as soon as I rubbed my finger on it it peeled. If there is a secret to get plastidip to stick I would really like to know. As a display only piece it would stay put probably. But any movement and its done.

Hello
Sorry to hijack this thread but I need to get a hold of Mr coofunkcurly. Question about my cowl.. Little tear in back.
Thank you

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back