Wasan 1628 (Billing Boats Vasa ship) FINISHED

Re: Wasan 1628 (Billing Boats Vasa ship)

Thank you SofaKing (love your name). The Wasa sunk on her maiden voyage so its tricky to get the model weathered without doing to much. It has some dark washes to make it vome alive, but Im trying to go easy. Im planning to do it heavier on the hull as she was tarred.

The weather deck details is complete and Ive started the next step. It takes some time to make this.

wasan10.jpg

It was pretty interesting to make this shape.

wasan11.jpg

Thank you Strode! buiding these are a little tricky as there are alot of things that cant be redone. Ive done some misstakes allready. If it would have been styrene, Id just redo it. Now it is what it is. Im giving myself some slack as it is my first time for a kit like this. One of the things is balancing a rough and wonky look, that I love in models (why I love the old ILM models so much), without losing the realism and look of scale.

Taz, its the front end of the higher broadsides that have a big curve. I dipped the wood in boiled water and let them dry fixated on the boat before gluing them into place.

It may needs a great skill to build those models.
You are doing very good. Wooden deck is beautiful.

katsu

eh up buddy,wow that looks mint mym8!!top marks good buddy:love

I'm eager to see how you do on your hull planking. I have heard that is the hardest part, next to the rigging.

TazMan2000

Thanks peza! Yeah Taz, its the part that scares me. I cant do it yet. Im doing the small planks on the inside of the railing now, and it takes time to make these one by one.

After that I will do the gunports, wich also will take some time since I have to scratch the construction. Then it will be time to plank the hull.

Im putting a lot of hours into the ship, but it cant be rushed. I would have liked to start with the hull planking as Id say its the make or break point. It could be that Ive made it half way, and mess up the planking... Gotta admit I like that feeling also.

I'm eagerly watching your progress. One day I'm going to buy the Victory, but before then I will try the cross section wood kit to get my feet wet.

With styrene, you can make mistakes, and filler can correct them, especially when painted over, but I don't believe wood filler can hide mistakes.

BTW are the planks 'nail-on' or 'glue-on'?

TazMan2000

I'm eagerly watching your progress. One day I'm going to buy the Victory, but before then I will try the cross section wood kit to get my feet wet.

With styrene, you can make mistakes, and filler can correct them, especially when painted over, but I don't believe wood filler can hide mistakes.

BTW are the planks 'nail-on' or 'glue-on'?

TazMan2000

They are glue on planks. Im not sure if nails would look right at this scale? Yeah, mistakes are overall more unforgiving imo.

It may needs a great skill to build those models.
You are doing very good. Wooden deck is beautiful.

katsu

Sorry, I missed your post katsu. Thanks, I hope I can pull it off.

Went to the museum the other day. Man that ship never stops to amaze me. Like going back in time...

I took pictures of the areas that I havent got good reference for. Ive got a few things wrong, but overall I feel good about the build. The BB kit is really really close I must say. I also met Mr Fred Hocker and he was a very likeable person. Bought one of his books also for reference. Great stuff if you are into these things. Got the official plans for the ship and a few other books aswell. Being used to buying Starwars stuff, these almost feel for free. so I ended up walking away with a full bag of stuff.

Ive been working on these for a week. I have about half of them left to do. Im giving them different blends of washes to make it feel random and alive.

wasan13.jpg

wasan14.jpg

I also got great pictures of how the hull was planked and it will be a big help later on. Its planked pretty rough and random, a look I just love.

Last edited:

Hey again, finally got ready with those small parts. After two weeks, Im happy to be done with them.

Ive started to build the gun decks. Im done with sawing the holes where needed, and done the basic stucture of the top starboard gun deck.

wasan16.jpg

wasan15b.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Last edited:

Ive been quite busy with the gun decks but Im almost done with them. Remember the original kit only has glue on sqares for gun ports, and since I want the model to look more realistic I have to make something up for those. I decided to do hall ways/boxes.

wasan17.jpg

After doing the "boxes" for each side I then painted them black on the inside. I then glued the frames that came with the kit, but on mine these will end up below the hull planks. Using the frames gives me 3 advantages, It will make it easier to get good squared holes that will match the hatches, it will be easier to position them right and finally gives the holes a good thickness. The original ship had double oak layers to be abel to resist canon balls.

Finally I build walls around the squares to make it strong and get some surface to glue the planks on later.

wasan18.jpg

The original plans are very helpfull when positioning the ports, and the real ships ports has pretty uneven and random positions. Mr Fred Hocker has made his own plans on these also.

Cheers

It's great that you're able to take photos of your subject yourself. Looking great, Nazgul. Someday I really want to take on a project like this.

Thanks crackerjazz! Started planking and here is how the gun port mod ended up. It also made the ship construction stronger.

wasan19.jpg

wasan20.jpg

wasan21.jpg

Thanks Mike!

A few progress pics:

Attachments

• wasan22.jpg
    wasan22.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 261
  • wasan23.jpg
    wasan23.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 304
  • wasan25.jpg
    wasan25.jpg
    149.4 KB · Views: 358
  • wasanfönster1.JPG
    wasanfönster1.JPG
    63.2 KB · Views: 284

...This was untreated pine if I dont mix up the english words for it. Vasas deck never had the time to become gray as she sunk so early. I went for a slightly grayed tone, to make it feel realistic.
...Mixing the colors took a while to get the blend I want. I wanted the look of really old "faluröd", a very common red colour on traditional wood houses in Sweden that grows darker as it ages. It has a warm feeling to it, almost like blood...
Went to the museum the other day. Man that ship never stops to amaze me. Like going back in time...I also got great pictures of how the hull was planked and it will be a big help later on. Its planked pretty rough and random, a look I just love.
It's clear you're passionate about this ship and it's history, and your knowledge of the subject and your attention to details such as these are sure to help make this a standout model when it's finished. I've never tried to build a wood model myself, but I can certainly appreciate the artistry and craftsmanship that goes into such a project and I'm looking forward to seeing your continued progress!

The build up is very crispy and clean.
Gun port is very sharp.

I guess you've studied much about the history of this ship.

Katsu

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back