Black Mirror "USS Callister" Phaser

redshirt

Sr Member
Obviously any Star Trek fan would enjoy the Season 4 Episode 1 Black Mirror TV Show on Netflix. It's got a Trek vibe mixed with virtual reality. The main character likes an old TV show called Space Fleet. In the episode they have feature a Space Fleet phaser (reference below). Anyone know what prop maker made this and if we can get a replica of it?

Refererence:
ContactSheet_SpaceFleet_Phaser_forum.jpg

Last edited:
More importantly......How the heck are you getting Photobucket to work?

Sorry, I got nothing on the phaser

I make the album "Public" in the privacy settings and then click on the uploaded picture and look to the right to copy the IMG code and paste it in my post.

Drat, I was hoping someone had an idea. maybe I should see if the credits show anything.

Last edited:
To me it looks like a combination of 2 found items and a bit of custom work to get them to fit. The main body and the piece at the very front look like they're the found items. The main body looks like it could be some sort RFID scanner like posted above or some other handheld scanning device. The very front piece looks almost like it's an old cell phone, but it's probably not that, maybe an old point and shoot digital camera? Then the custom piece would be the sliver block on the front sides.

ref.jpg

To me it looks like a combination of 2 found items and a bit of custom work to get them to fit. The main body and the piece at the very front look like they're the found items. The main body looks like it could be some sort RFID scanner like posted above or some other handheld scanning device. The very front piece looks almost like it's an old cell phone, but it's probably not that, maybe an old point and shoot digital camera? Then the custom piece would be the sliver block on the front sides.

View attachment 1254457

I'd guess it was an original design, though maybe inspired by some found products.

Hi Redshirt, Here is some info i was able to find hope it helps links provided below. I hope it helps you.
LINK 1: Kaan Kucuk 3D Modeller / Texture Artist

Here is a link to Simon Russell Motion Design guy as you scroll down you will see alot of the work he did for various scenes. I added a pic as well.
Link 2: Black Mirror 'USS Callister' — Simon Russell Portfolio
View attachment 1254460
Looks like it was modeled in Infinity Builder. Never heard of that 3D software before??? Oh, that's the virtual reality software that is used in the episode, so just a part of the script.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back