double-studio scale size Y-Wing fighter (1/12th)

It's sad to study the original models and see just how much has been lost and/or damaged. :(

Am currently studying the back plate and looking at a number of photos, this one among them. Thought I'd photoshop a quick bit of info on some of the problems with Torsyn's Gold 3, aka the MOM Tour Y-Wing, which has seen a number of exhibits.

AC Gold 3 damage infos.jpg

Update: didn't want to recreate the 25-pounder field gun front shield, have used that one too often on kitbashes in the past and find the part too recognizable for my taste. Decided to free-style it.
(To be fair, the original details on the right side are missing three small parts, but the comparison gives a general idea.)

AC back plate comparison.jpg

Thank you, joberg! :)

Still studying the original Y-Wings and looking at the forward fuselage's back plate - the detailing beneath the rear window area.
In the top right corner you can see the electrical socket near the top model mount, it's interesting to note that Gold Leader and Gold 2 have lost their access covers for plugging up the hole.

Gold Leader top center.jpg

The top canopy guns for my model are built, quite a bit of work there:

AC Y-Wing top canopy guns comparison.jpg

Kick - Ass guns.

Thank you, Taz, coming from a fellow large Y-Wing modelbuilder that is great praise! :)

A front angle view picture of the Y-Wing's guns:
The guns were just two parts for ILM. (Two Airfix Me 109 machine guns in 1/24th scale) For me, it was 99 seperate parts. (These came from armor, model railroad, aircraft, truck, anime & ship kits, plus plastic strips, plastic tubes, brass tubes and stainless steel rods.)
93 of these parts needed to be made to fit, only six were taken directly from a sprue and left unmodified.
(All of this does not include the round base underneath the guns)

AC Y-Wing top canopy guns comparison 02.jpg

Thank you, joberg and bigpetr! :thumbsup

Closing in on the nose guns, the final nose guns might be a little different when my forward fuselage takes shape. However, this should be pretty close to the final version.

AC Y-Wing guns check.jpg

Thank you, joberg! Continuing to have fun and chugging along. :)

The topside details on my Y are 98% done. Here is the approximate recreation of another recognizable piece, again with a little extra detail:

AC Y-Wing details 01.jpg AC Y-Wing details 02.jpg

It'll be on to side & bottom details soon.

It's gonna be real nice when done...every time you're showing a new "set of greeblies" I paint them in grey in my mind and it sure looks very good!

Thanks, joberg! Yeah, I do that, too. (Imagine what the parts look when they're painted)

Above view of the top central area:
AC top central Y-Wing above.jpg

This is a great build! I haven’t started my 1/24 scale but now I what to do a 1/12

Thank you, wmneill! Yes, you should go for it. DaveG's generously shared 3D files make it much easier now and the detailing is a fun challenge that makes each one unique. :thumbsup

So much awesome!

Getting there for sure!! This is going to be so lovely:cool

Thank you, much appreciated, guys!

Am cooking three projects simultaneously for the moment: the 2700th Zvezda Star Destroyer, 29th scale Revell X-Wing and 12th scale Y-Wing. Makes for a nice Star Wars soup. :D
AC Zvezda SD detailing 02.jpg AC 29th scale X-Wing cockpit inserted.jpg AC 29th scale X-Wing trench detail plus cockpit.jpg

Details for the underside of the Y-Wing are comely along nicely, about two-thirds done with that, Will be posting a pic soon.

I gotta look them now and plan a build! Thanks for info! Any links you can provide would be greatly appreciated, thank you

Since I'm scratchbuilding & kitbashing almost everything, there is very little I can link to.

There is DaveG's thread with explanations and link to his downlooad site for his Y-Wing 3D printing files here: https://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=250459
This is a list of links to any Y-Wing threads at the RPF, you might find some helpful stuff here: https://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=264959
And as I've posted in this thread previously, Bandai's 1/12th scale R2-D2 & R5-D4 kit saves the trouble of having to scratchbuild a droid:
Bandai R2-D2 12th scale kit 01.jpeg
Your favorite hobby shop that stocks Bandai kits or eBay would be the place to go for purchasing, I think.

Trumpeter makes a King Tiger in 1/16th scale that throws off some parts for detailing a large Y-Wing and costs around $400 US Dollars.
To be perfect, any 1/35th scale kit that was gutted for detailing a 1/24th studio scale Y-Wing fighter would need to be 1/17.5th scale in order to detail a 1/12th scale model - so expect anything in 1/16th scale to be a little bit too large.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back