Me-8d9 build

GEEK1138

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hey guys...I want to build this droid; EMMIE/ME-8D9 from TFA but there are almost no good reference pix. I know that if they exist then this is the place to find them

These are the best ones I have so far

15624086_466087673779980_4048060453765513216_n.jpg 12224349_1217833964898961_371906584_n.jpg large-1461338849-f3544c56ef26633f66ec8b85f6a9b785 (1).jpg

I'm particularly looking for side shots or close ups on helmet details but any others would help

Would be interested in seeing anyone else's build on this droid too

I'm planning on doing just the amount shown in and the style of the concept painting:

luke-fisher-me-8d9.jpg

I like the grittier look and I didn't even think of Dot until I saw the final movie version. They totally should've kept the concept look.

Looking forward to seeing what others do.

-Rog

FYI, if anyone has a high-def version of the movie there are some good screen cap opportunities. When they first walk in to Maz's place it shows her from the side and you can see the back of her head pretty well. I just have it on my DVR or I'd do it. Tried to get a good photo but it's not going to be good enough that way. You can also see her wandering around at the edge of the frame several times throughout.

-Rog

I love that concept image but there's no way Disney would have used her for TFA

OK I had the same idea and did the screen cap thing, so have a better idea of the back of the head but still no luck on finer details

vlcsnap-2017-02-24-21h46m03s282.png

Here's my progress so far...I'm gonna go full scratch build on this one as my 3D printer is knackered from printing K-2SO

IMAG1634.jpg Used an old acrylic lampshade left over from my BB8 dome and some pie bowls filled with resin

IMAG1639.jpg IMAG1642.jpg

I roughed it out with monster clay at first but decided against using it in favour of good ol' Bondo

IMAG1643.jpg

Of course there's the Screencapped site... Been looking through it, but so far nothing that I missed just watching the movie. Here's where they start:

http://www.screencapped.org/movie/starwars/thumbnails.php?album=13&page=53

I'd also like to know what the "undersuit" material is that the bronze "armor" goes onto. Kind of looks like corroded metal in some shots, vacuformed plastic in others.

I'm afraid I haven't much to show yet with mine (that I'd want anyone to see, anyway). Just working on the mannequin part to stick everything on top of.

Oh, and I know it's a toy and they misspelled her name on the box, but this might be a place to start for the back:

https://youtu.be/2idKfWVSIdM?t=2m10s

-Rog

Last edited:
Update on the build...she is a minx! Getting the position of the features exactly right is just so difficult...because she has a 'face' instead of the usual helmet/droid head, every little tweak changes the attitude and expression' I think I'm finally on the right track but it has taken vast amounts of Bondo

What d'ya think?

IMAG1658.jpg IMAG1656.jpg

Still messing around with the eyes and the breather but I think it's getting there

Incidentally, what's the story with the female droid names...obviously there's Emmie(ME-8D9), and Evie(EV-9D9) Any others? Is there an LC or KC?

Last edited:
OK so the basic modelling is finished.

I've got the eyes as close as I can get and am busy making/finding all the brass greeblies, of which there are actually a surprising number

IMAG1663.jpg IMAG1662.jpg

I've just given her a shot of copper paint for now but I'm gonna try a different approach for the final bronze paint finish

IMAG1664.jpg

Also, can anyone tell me how to load pictures in bigger sizes than just thumbnails please?

Update on the build...she is a minx! Getting the position of the features exactly right is just so difficult...because she has a 'face' instead of the usual helmet/droid head, every little tweak changes the attitude and expression' I think I'm finally on the right track but it has taken vast amounts of Bondo

What d'ya think?

View attachment 711970 View attachment 711971

Still messing around with the eyes and the breather but I think it's getting there

Incidentally, what's the story with the female droid names...obviously there's Emmie(ME-8D9), and Evie(EV-9D9) Any others? Is there an LC or KC?
i think it looks ****ing spectacular!

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back