Axanar - Crowdfunded 'Star Trek' Movie Draws Lawsuit from Paramount, CBS

I didn't think many people outside of people like me (Star Trek fan series/film producers) really cared much about that area! Good to know others do too.
I do some fan art and fan fiction, but my main thing is cosplay. There's already companies trying to clamp down on these, so what affects fan films can trickle down and affect the others as well. Fan works are all connected, and anyone interested in any of them, I feel, would be dumb not to pay attention to high level things like this, because it could set a precedent that can be applied to the others as well.

I do some fan art and fan fiction, but my main thing is cosplay. There's already companies trying to clamp down on these, so what affects fan films can trickle down and affect the others as well. Fan works are all connected, and anyone interested in any of them, I feel, would be dumb not to pay attention to high level things like this, because it could set a precedent that can be applied to the others as well.
Cosplay is a completely different matter. Though there's a Supreme Court case pending (regarding certain design elements of cheerleading uniforms), at the moment garments are not protected under US copyright law and never have been.

However, costumes with sculptural elements such as armor and helmets, or 2D art elements like unique pictures or text, could have at least those sculptural, picture, or text elements covered by copyright. This can have different legal effects depending on the costume.

For example:

Stormtrooper armor -- protected by copyright due to unique sculptural elements.

Indiana Jones jacket -- unlikely, since it's just a garment.

BSG colonial warrior costume (original series) -- helmet protected, suit probably not. The belts and motocross boots are found items, so not Universal's IP either way. The patch might be protected as 2D art, or not be granted copyright protection because an array of triangles isn't "original" enough to merit protection.

So it's not the same answer in every case (far from it), but as a general matter, cosplay is harder for studios to police because garments aren't covered by the statute, and it's arguable that making a costume to wear at a convention is fair use.

Last edited:
The cheerleading uniform case is also very interesting. But for those not following it, it's not the uniforms themselves in question but the accent panels used in the designs of them. I believe these sort of designs really started creeping up around 1992, or at least that's the year we got a catalog with them in it. Granted, we weren't looking at new uniforms the two years prior so they could have been showing up a lot earlier than that, just that that was my first experience with those designs.

BSG colonial warrior costume (original series) -- helmet protected, suit probably not. The belts and motocross boots are found items, so not Universal's IP either way. The patch might be protected as 2D art, or not be granted copyright protection because an array of triangles isn't "original" enough to merit protection.

Nope on the patch. That's one of the many real-world religious symbols incorporated into the deco of the show, to link the Colonies with Earth's ancients. That "array of triangles" is the Sri Yantra, one of the foundational and most sacred mandalas in Hinduism. I don't think Glen Larson would be able to copyright it. ;)

--Jonah

Nope on the patch. That's one of the many real-world religious symbols incorporated into the deco of the show, to link the Colonies with Earth's ancients. That "array of triangles" is the Sri Yantra, one of the foundational and most sacred mandalas in Hinduism. I don't think Glen Larson would be able to copyright it. ;)

--Jonah
I'll be damned, you're right. In that case, the symbol is in the public domain, and there's not enough of a reinterpretation in the BSG patch to make it a unique expression.

You can copyright a derivative work of something in the public domain, but you only get protection for the original interpretation you bring to it.

So for instance, Night of the Living Dead (1968) is in the public domain due to a quirk of the pre-1976 Copyright Act. But Tom Savini's remake with Patricia Tallman is copyrighted to the extent that it's a different version of the underlying, public domain story. So, Barbara as sniveling 1960s whining babe -- public domain. Barbara as shotgun-blasting zombie killer -- copyrighted.

But in the case of the BSG patch, not so much -- the patch appears to be an exact representation of the religious icon, just in gold and black.

I seem to recall a recent case of a German outdoor gear company whose logo is a wolf paw seeking to copyright not just their version, not just wolf paw logos in general, but all pawprints, regardless of species. I can't remember the outcome, though, as I wanted to collectively punch them so badly...

--Jonah

Not only the patch but the Warrior Pins are U.S. Army intelligence pins.

They used all sorts of real life military insignia on that show.

I was at a Convention in Washington D.C., in full Battledress when a fullbird Army Colonel stopped me and commented on my Insiginia, told him it was all right, I wouldnt hold it against him or his "Army" :lol

--Jonah

I seem to recall a recent case of a German outdoor gear company whose logo is a wolf paw seeking to copyright not just their version, not just wolf paw logos in general, but all pawprints, regardless of species. I can't remember the outcome, though, as I wanted to collectively punch them so badly...

--Jonah

Sounds a bit like Apple. They seem to go after anyone using a fruit which is missing a piece :facepalm

--Jonah

What they are doing is establishing a trademark, not a copyright. Which means that a rival company can't use a similar logo to offer their products, hoping to ride on the brand recognition. Now that doesn't mean they have complete control over things like pawprints or Space Marines (another notorious case) or that they try to make an "a priori" claim against a more longer established distinctive feature.

If you happen to use a pawprint as a logo, that company may try to stop you from using it as they may believe that it is an infringement on their trademark and will send a C&D which is the legally framed documental equivalent of "Please stop doing this."

Trademarks are registered and come with a description of what they allegedly cover. So they may claim a logo trademark for clothing, but if you are a ZOO or a music band called Wolfprint it's going to be an uphill struggle to enforce it.

If it comes down to litigation, then it's usually a matter of both lawyers to try to convince the judge that is or isn't an infringement. Judge then makes a decision based on the evidence presented. I'll refer to Samsung vs Apple for a good example of this.

Also note that everything I put in this post is not legal advice, merely something I looked up to a certain degree, talk to a real lawyer if you want to know more.

What they are doing is establishing a trademark, not a copyright. Which means that a rival company can't use a similar logo to offer their products, hoping to ride on the brand recognition. Now that doesn't mean they have complete control over things like pawprints or Space Marines (another notorious case) or that they try to make an "a priori" claim against a more longer established distinctive feature.

If you happen to use a pawprint as a logo, that company may try to stop you from using it as they may believe that it is an infringement on their trademark and will send a C&D which is the legally framed documental equivalent of "Please stop doing this."

Trademarks are registered and come with a description of what they allegedly cover. So they may claim a logo trademark for clothing, but if you are a ZOO or a music band called Wolfprint it's going to be an uphill struggle to enforce it..

Confirmed, and great post. People often confuse copyrights and trademarks because - especially with a logo - both areas of law may be implicated by the same logo (copyrights cover the original elements of the graphic design, but trademark is what confers the exclusive right to use that graphic design in connection with certain specified goods or services.) But they are distinct - you can have a trademark in a design in which you do not own the copyright (such as a public domain image - if I use a picture of Da Vinci as a trademark to "brand" my goods or services and distinguish them from other similar goods and services on the market, I can get trademark rights in that image, but I can't prevent people for using the image in any other way - except to sell goods and services that are so similar to mine that people may be confused and buy those other goods or services thinking I am the one providing them. This is the "likelihood of consumer confusion" standard for trademark infringement.)

Too often news outlets get really sloppy and take a valid trademark claim and blow it up into "Apple Inc. wants to own all pictures of an apple" when reporting on a case that, in fact, is most likely a trademark infringement claim to stop using a picture of an apple only on goods and services that are similar to what Apple offers under its own logo - such as computers, phones or music players. This feeds into the "all big companies are bad and over-reaching" narrative. But Apple has to take these steps - unlike with copyright, failure to enforce your trademark rights leads to losing them. (Fun fact - this goes both ways: Apple Corps (the record company started by the Beatles) engaged in 20-plus years of litigation against Apple Inc. because they claimed that Apple Inc.'s apple logo infringed on the Beatles trademark to the extent that Apple computers could play music. The litigation settled but flared up again when Apple released the iPod (a music player) Finally settled a few years back, which is why Beatles music is now available on iTunes).

Again, great post.

M

Last edited:
Added spoiler tags, since this is quite a digression, but one I find interesting. Folks may not want such a lengthy post clogging up the thread (visually, anyway).

Trademarks are registered and come with a description of what they allegedly cover. So they may claim a logo trademark for clothing, but if you are a ZOO or a music band called Wolfprint it's going to be an uphill struggle to enforce it.

If it comes down to litigation, then it's usually a matter of both lawyers to try to convince the judge that is or isn't an infringement. Judge then makes a decision based on the evidence presented. I'll refer to Samsung vs Apple for a good example of this.

Also note that everything I put in this post is not legal advice, merely something I looked up to a certain degree, talk to a real lawyer if you want to know more.

Confirmed, and great post. People often confuse copyrights and trademarks because - especially with a logo - both areas of law may be implicated by the same logo (copyrights cover the original elements of the graphic design, but trademark is what confers the exclusive right to use that graphic design in connection with certain specified goods or services.) But they are distinct - you can have a trademark in a design in which you do not own the copyright (such as a public domain image - if I use a picture of Da Vinci as a trademark to "brand" my goods or services and distinguish them from other similar goods and services on the market, I can get trademark rights in that image, but I can't prevent people for using the image in any other way - except to sell goods and services that are so similar to mine that people may be confused and buy those other goods or services thinking I am the one providing them. This is the "likelihood of consumer confusion" standard for trademark infringement.)

Too often news outlets get really sloppy and take a valid trademark claim and blow it up into "Apple Inc. wants to own all pictures of an apple" when reporting on a case that, in fact, is most likely a trademark infringement claim to stop using a picture of an apple only on goods and services that are similar to what Apple offers under its own logo - such as computers, phones or music players. This feeds into the "all big companies are bad and over-reaching" narrative. But Apple has to take these steps - unlike with copyright, failure to enforce your trademark rights leads to losing them. (Fun fact - this goes both ways: Apple Corps (the record company started by the Beatles) engaged in 20-plus years of litigation against Apple Inc. because they claimed that Apple Inc.'s apple logo infringed on the Beatles trademark to the extent that Apple computers could play music. The litigation settled but flared up again when Apple released the iPod (a music player) Finally settled a few years back, which is why Beatles music is now available on iTunes).

Again, great post.

M

Excellent summaries of TM law basics.

The one caveat I'd include is a quirk in the Lanham Act relating to "famous marks."

Most of the time, the trademark is affixed to a specific item or service (although, technically, services get "service marks," but I digress). The way to think about it is [trademark]-brand [goods]. So, to put in context, if you have a coffee thermos company, you could name your company "Grizzly." Meaning that the mark would apply to "Grizzly"-brand coffee thermoses.

The Lanham Act allows you to go after people who literally pirate the mark (so, someone selling counterfeit "Grizzly"-brand thermoses). You can also go after them for "confusingly similar" marks. So, if someone created "Grizzlie"-brand thermoses, or "Grizzz"-brand thermoses, you could probably stop them from using those names (through a variety of methods I won't get into here). The farther away from the original mark you get, though, the more you have to prove a likelihood of confusion. So, sure, "Grizzlie" brand thermoses are a no-go, but what about "Bruin"-brand? Or "Bearclaw"-brand? Or "Kodiak"-brand? Those are circumstances where you actually need to find evidence that the public is likely to be confused. And thus, we come to the real crux of TM law:

Trademark law, as my professor explained, is not about ownership of the mark. Rather, at a policy level, it is about protecting the public. A mark is designed to denote origin, to tell the public where an item comes from. So, a mark which raises confusion in the public about origin is a problem. THAT is why you sue someone from TM infringement. IT's because their mark is confusing the public, and making the public think "Oh, look, a Kodiak thermos. That must be made by Grizzly. Guess it's a new product line or something." If you can't prove that the public would be confused, you're supposed to lose.

HOWEVER, the Lanham Act also includes a section on so-called "famous marks." Famous marks are trademarks which are so famous, so widely known, that they are given a much higher level of protection, almost to the point of being a kind of "ownership" of that mark. The easiest case I can think of is the "McDental" case. Basically, a dentist (I forget where, but let's assume the 9th Circuit, a.k.a. "Crazyland") set up a dental clinic that would provide extremely fast service (so he claimed). He decided to call it "McDental." Naturally, McDonalds sued him. And won.

AND WON.

But wait! How is it likely that the public would confuse the origin of the services? How is it likely that people would go to McDental and think "Whoa! McDonalds is getting into dentistry?!"

Answer: it isn't. Not even remotely. BUT, because McDonalds is a "famous mark," it's given extra protection, and basically the guy isn't allowed to ride McDonalds' coattails based on the fame of the mark. This is where trademark -- and the public policy argument for protecting the public by accurately denoting origin -- bleeds into "copyright" -- and the public policy argument for providing creators of works ownership of their creations, to reward their hard work and encourage them to do more.

In my opinion, it's one of the worst aspects of the Lanham Act, and it fundamentally undermines the purpose of trademarks. It's also why it's easy for journalists to say that "Apple wants to own all Apple marks." Technically, they don't. But the Lanham Act gives them a LOT more latitude to assert "ownership" than it might seem in most cases. Like, to the point where Apple, Inc. sued Apple Records (the Beatles' old label, which still exists). They lost, but you get the idea here. There's also a problem with stretching the definition of "famous." Like, what's a truly "famous" mark? Are we talking "famous" just within a small segment of society, or within all walks of life, or what?

Anyway, bit of a digression, but I always found that stuff interesting.

Actually, I won't quote Dan's's post, as per his wishes - but he's right on point. Since this furthers his digression, I'll put in tags as well.

This is the separate strand of trademark infringement called "trademark dilution". I didn't bring it up before - and generally avoid it when talking about TM infringement - because it is so counter-intuitive (to me at least). The whole basis of trademark protection is preventing consumer confusion - so it's a consumer protection rationale - and then along out of left field comes "dilution", which is trademark infringement even where there is no confusion, and is meant to protect the trademark owner, not the consumer.

And Dan explained it better than I ever could anyhow.

Client: "So, can I use McDonald's on hamburgers?"

Me: "No. Consumers would be confused into thinking your hamburgers were the ones offered by the 'real' McDonald's."

Client: "So, can I use McDonald's on car tires? "

Me. "No, sorry".

Client. "But why? Nobody would be confused into thinking that the other McDonald's made these car tires. You just said confusion was the problem."

Me: (sighing) "Well. . . . . ."

M

Solo4114,
Most of the time, the trademark is affixed to a specific item or service (although, technically, services get "service marks," but I digress). The way to think about it is [trademark]-brand [goods]. So, to put in context, if you have a coffee thermos company, you could name your company "Grizzly." Meaning that the mark would apply to "Grizzly"-brand coffee thermoses.
Just to get more pedantic, "thermos" is actually a brand name for a vacuum flask. ;) It's just become a general descriptor -- synecdoche for physical objects.

In the case I mentioned above, Jack Wolfskin went after companies that had been using a paw print in their logo prior to Jack Wolfskin registering their own trademark, went after individual artists and artisans who used animal pawprints as part of their signature or "chop" -- many of them non-canine pawprints, went after a Dutch company who used a bear pawprint as its logo, went after a Slovakian animal-rescue nonprofit who had a dog pawprint as part of their logo, etc. How gray is the gray area in claiming something that's a naturally occuring and nigh-universal part of the world -- a rock, a tree, an animal, an animal's footprint... -- as your own sovereign property? Specific pose or depiction? Color? Conjunction with other elements? Jack Wolfskin's logo isn't a wolf pawprint. It's a wolf pawprint next to the words "Jack Wolfskin"! Granted, all their claims have been thrown out, but that they would 1) even think to pursue such action, or 2) have a court go along with it to the degree of issuing a C&D... I dunno. Something seems off about that.

--Jonah

Last edited by a moderator:
Just to get back on point a bit - both the studios and Axanar filed their motions for summary judgment a few weeks back, with a hearing on the motions set for this Monday, December 19.

Yesterday, the judge issued an order that the December 19 hearing was cancelled - meaning that he feels that the documents submitted by the parties contain ample information for him to rule on the summary judgment motions without further arguments (obviously, we don't know when he will make that ruling, or whether he will rule in favor of a party or has, instead, decided that there are still material facts in dispute and soa trial is still necessary.)

M

Just to get back on point a bit - both the studios and Axanar filed their motions for summary judgment a few weeks back, with a hearing on the motions set for this Monday, December 19.

Yesterday, the judge issued an order that the December 19 hearing was cancelled - meaning that he feels that the documents submitted by the parties contain ample information for him to rule on the summary judgment motions without further arguments (obviously, we don't know when he will make that ruling, or whether he will rule in favor of a party or has, instead, decided that there are still material facts in dispute and soa trial is still necessary.)

M

Crap! Now I'm all at sixes and sevens. Nines, even. The suspense is killing me. Will he follow the evidence to its obvious conclusion, or do something... 9th Circuity?

@Solo4114,
Just to get more pedantic, "thermos" is actually a brand name for a vacuum flask. ;) It's just become a general descriptor -- synecdoche for physical objects.

In the case I mentioned above, Jack Wolfskin went after companies that had been using a paw print in their logo prior to Jack Wolfskin registering their own trademark, went after individual artists and artisans who used animal pawprints as part of their signature or "chop" -- many of them non-canine pawprints, went after a Dutch company who used a bear pawprint as its logo, went after a Slovakian animal-rescue nonprofit who had a dog pawprint as part of their logo, etc. How gray is the gray area in claiming something that's a naturally occuring and nigh-universal part of the world -- a rock, a tree, an animal, an animal's footprint... -- as your own sovereign property? Specific pose or depiction? Color? Conjunction with other elements? Jack Wolfskin's logo isn't a wolf pawprint. It's a wolf pawprint next to the words "Jack Wolfskin"! Granted, all their claims have been thrown out, but that they would 1) even think to pursue such action, or 2) have a court go along with it to the degree of issuing a C&D... I dunno. Something seems off about that.

--Jonah

Is this sort of like how Apple tried to sue Samsung or claim copyrights/patent protection on the shape of cell phones?

Is this sort of like how Apple tried to sue Samsung or claim copyrights/patent protection on the shape of cell phones?

These spoiler tags are getting a bit ludicrous. :lol

Not really the same, for two reasons. First, unlike the wolfprint example (which I know nothing more about than what is posted here and so can't comment on whether the claims were valid or meritless), Apple's claim against Samsung was against a competitor using a similar appearance to sell competitive goods - the classic case of a trademark (actually, what is known as "trade dress") infringement claim.

But secondly - and more importantly - Apple's claim against Samsung wasn't for trademark/trade dress infringement - so it is different form every other case we've discussed in this thread. It was for patent infringement, namely for infringement of design patents held by Apple in the visual design of the iPhone. Sure, looking back after 10 years of smartphones, we may say "hey - all smartphones look alike" - but, at the time Apple designed the iPhone and submitted their design patent application to the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO) 8-9 years ago, the design was apparently novel enough that the USPTO granted them exclusive rights to make phones with the design elements covered by their patent. And "novelty" (meaning "no one has done it before") is a requirement of a patent - so the fact that "everybody does it now" doesn't change the fact that it was "novel" when Apple came up with it and got their patent, and their patent gives them those exclusive rights four 14 years form the date the patent was granted (because they filed for the patent before 2015 - if they had filed after, the term would be 15 years.)

M

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back