New BMF coming

Another reason to have a second model about is to learn and practice painting techniques. I sure would be following a painting thread. I just suck sooooooo bad at painting.

Thanks Jaitea that sounds great about the decals :)
where is the best place to buy blank decal sheet, don't want to get the wrong sort, or are they all the same?

Last edited by a moderator:
I got told off for posting links to ebay one time but if you paste this into that sites search bar:

20 Sheets A4 Inkjet Light Water Transfer Paper for Cup Decal Craft DIY

The 20 sheet pack is £10,.......too good value not to have a go

Do all test printing on regular paper,.....once youre happy with the sizing, then use the decal paper

J

PHArchivist would you consider the Master Replicas Falcon a Falconish paint job you mentioned or the crazy detailed with every dot and equal signs finish???

Well, I think the answer is pretty clear, once recalling the history (or pedigree) of the MR finish.

Short version is that it is a bastardized version of a screen-accurate finish.

The MR master, finished by Dean Dymerski, was indeed a hyper-accurate, screen-accurate paint job. But, as we all know, it was literally lost in translation by the Chinese factory workers pumping out the run.

So what you got was a bit of both - a "Falcon-ish" version of a screen-accurate paint-job.

Ill add to what Rob said. At Icons, the first X-Wings were painted by a few key talented people. Later runs were an assembly line, IE quality was lost.

The great thing about this toy is that due to a low cost, it will fall into a lot of talented hands. You can go crazy with mods and a frame by frame paint job, or just do a simple repaint. I did a simple respray just to illustrate the change from out of the box to a 'presentable' piece in a day. I never truly finish a piece. There will always be things I want to change or add to over time. But for the moment, every time I walk into my office and see the the $60 hunk of injection molded cheap plastic sitting on its paper towel holder base...I smile. Of course there will be sidewalls, engine grills and a final paint stage. But its nice to see something that that adds to the room instead of looking like a half finished project that should reside in a cardboard box in the garage. In the end, my MF will be only slightly crazy mods.

Fett Helmet:
People tend to determine difficult VS. easy by their comfort level and past projects. The Fett helmet is on my 'to do' list and I personally wouldnt do an Inch by inch, frame by frame paint job. The Fett purist could pick it to pieces, but it would look the part when done. I am a firm believer in artistic license within reason. Im more concerned with the overall feel than if paint chip 'A' lines up with screen grab 'A'. Thats just me.

In regards to the MF, I will end up using; Airbrush, preshadowing, drybrushing, chalks, paint splattering, rattlecan (primer) charcoal dust, fine pencil......... For me, every painting technique has a place and level of usage on this model. The trick is getting it eye correct in the end. My method will be different from an others, because there is more than one way to skin this cat. Just pick methods that you are comfortable with and have a go.

Someone posted about the Randy Cooper MF. His greeblies may not come from the accurate kits, but the overall presentation is stunning. Thats what I always try to achieve.

RE decal paper: Was there a one sheet posted here that could be printed? Like the Jbot sheet? I never got a response from him BTW so a click/pay option is not available as of now.

Ill add to what Rob said. At Icons, the first X-Wings were painted by a few key talented people. Later runs were an assembly line, IE quality was lost.

The great thing about this toy is that due to a low cost, it will fall into a lot of talented hands. You can go crazy with mods and a frame by frame paint job, or just do a simple repaint. I did a simple respray just to illustrate the change from out of the box to a 'presentable' piece in a day. I never truly finish a piece. There will always be things I want to change or add to over time. But for the moment, every time I walk into my office and see the the $60 hunk of injection molded cheap plastic sitting on its paper towel holder base...I smile. Of course there will be sidewalls, engine grills and a final paint stage. But its nice to see something that that adds to the room instead of looking like a half finished project that should reside in a cardboard box in the garage. In the end, my MF will be only slightly crazy mods.

Fett Helmet:
People tend to determine difficult VS. easy by their comfort level and past projects. The Fett helmet is on my 'to do' list and I personally wouldnt do an Inch by inch, frame by frame paint job. The Fett purist could pick it to pieces, but it would look the part when done. I am a firm believer in artistic license within reason. Im more concerned with the overall feel than if paint chip 'A' lines up with screen grab 'A'. Thats just me.

In regards to the MF, I will end up using; Airbrush, preshadowing, drybrushing, chalks, paint splattering, rattlecan (primer) charcoal dust, fine pencil......... For me, every painting technique has a place and level of usage on this model. The trick is getting it eye correct in the end. My method will be different from an others, because there is more than one way to skin this cat. Just pick methods that you are comfortable with and have a go.

Someone posted about the Randy Cooper MF. His greeblies may not come from the accurate kits, but the overall presentation is stunning. Thats what I always try to achieve.

RE decal paper: Was there a one sheet posted here that could be printed? Like the Jbot sheet? I never got a response from him BTW so a click/pay option is not available as of now.
I like you.

No prob @Timmythekid
the only fly in the ointment might be when, I still have a lot of mods to do so I might not start painting until after christmas now, do you have an airbrush
or will you be "kicking it rattlecan"? that's a term now.

Take your time!... I just bought a place that is still being built... so no garage to work in until Summer... so I'll mostly be reading tutorials, saving off build threads into my own word docs until then.

And feel free to overly explain it... Looking forward to it.

Fett Helmet:

I get most the techniques you mentioned but can you explain:

Chalks?

Charcoal dust. Do you mean literally Charcoal dust rubbed on??

Fine tip pencil. Again do you mean literally drawing on it with a pencil???

Also I have heard Pastels mentioned. What are those????

Thanks

Tom

- - - Updated - - -

Anyone have an Airbrushing for beginners video??? Or Airbrushing for Dummies???

I have a nice Airbrush but no clue how to use it. Last I looked most videos were for more advanced techniques and not basic operation.

Chalks?

Thanks

Tom
Buy a set of cheap pastel chalks from the craft store, rub your color on sandpaper to get a powder, then apply that by rubbing it on the surface of the model with a stiff brush.
It's an incredibly easy technique that's been around forever.

Hi guys!

Sorry for being too late posting here, but I'm really busy designing parts by now for the Hasbro...

Yes, the new Falcon has a new quad radar dish! And I've designed it too!!! You can see it at Shapeways (do a search for "quad radar dish HSBRO").

And yes. I've designed all the upgrades for the new Hasbro baby than Mike commented above: complete set of sidewalls, to replace the stickers, slightly smaller radar dish (67 mm), laser cannons and yoke, complete front and rear landing gear, and cabin cockpit. And Mike will use them to cast a resin kit, cheaper than 3D printed parts.

Actually I'm designing the cabin cone (2 sizes), and I will design too the jawbox sidewalls, the turret well and the boarding ramp. I will adapt also the engine louver arms to the Hasbro scale (on the Hasbro are attached to the hull).

When Mike will be ready on the castings, we will be posting all the details. So, stay tuned!!!

I will try to be connected here often, so be patient if I don't reach RPF daily...

Many thanks to all of you for your big interest in this great project! And thanks to Mike to offer his know-how.

Best

Awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Why two sizes of Cabin cone??

Will you be doing vents as well???

- - - Updated - - -

Buy a set of cheap pastel chalks from the craft store, rub your color on sandpaper to get a powder, then apply that by rubbing it on the surface of the model with a stiff brush.

Thank you. Hitting the craft store ASAP

Awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Why two sizes of Cabin cone??

Will you be doing vents as well???

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you. Hitting the craft store ASAP

Hi Jameth.
Many thanks for your interest!

The two sizes are because some guys here at RPF are thinking that the cone is too short. So I'm giving them the opportunity to choose between the standard one or the long version. That's all.

About the vents, I think that JohnnyCrash is doing PE grilles for the vents, if I'm not mistaken.

More to come!

Chalks?
Like frosty said...in any craft store. I like to rub some on a piece of cardboard and brush on the dust.

Model stores also sell small blocks of black dust. I dont know if its actually charcoal or not. But yes, I have used charcoal dust and soot from the fireplace to weather things before.

Yes a fine tip pencil. The Star destroyer comes to mind. You can create fine lines without scribing. I think the Death Star has pencil on it....Thats a Rob question.

Pastel Chalks.

Thanks

Tom

- - - Updated - - -

Anyone have an Airbrushing for beginners video??? Or Airbrushing for Dummies???

I have a nice Airbrush but no clue how to use it. Last I looked most videos were for more advanced techniques and not basic operation.

Quick and dirty......you have pressure from your compressor (propellant from the air can) It creates a sucking/venturi from your bottle of paint. the air blows out the tip and sucks out some paint. It sprays the atomized mist onto your subject. The longer you hold it in one spot, the more paint it lays down. I always like to thin the paint because sometimes it will clog in the tip. Youtube is your friend
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wekSe5Qp0Co

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PhEFlmD1xE&list=PL7B020657235F87A8&index=4

Hi Jameth.
Many thanks for your interest!

The two sizes are because some guys here at RPF are thinking that the cone is too short. So I'm giving them the opportunity to choose between the standard one or the long version. That's all.

About the vents, I think that JohnnyCrash is doing PE grilles for the vents, if I'm not mistaken.

More to come!
All the upgrade kit work that's being done is valued and appreciated!
Definitely looking to pick up a few more falcons...

Just make sure you don't get the oil based pastel chalks... they can be used for weathering but they are a LOT harder to use... so hard I almost NEVER use them... :cool:thumbsup

Jedi Dade

Lear60man , your early paint up was an inspiration to say the least, it showed that even without mods this thing can absolutely sing. I can't wait to see it all finished.
I have a question still regarding the pastels chalks, I'm assuming that you need to seal them after, once that is done is it really permanent or is it "just model" permanent i,e you really shouldn't touch it. Also I had hunch that oil pastels wouldn't be ok, Is this definite as far as the pros are concerned?
NeoRutty I will take it stage by stage, there have already been enough people saying they will be interested in a true beginners guide to make it a pleasure :) This is the perfect project for such a thread.
Now I know the real thing was painted black first I can understand why the MR falcon has always looked off to me, they put the cart before the horse I'm afraid.

Pastel chalks can be used to great effect, and yes, they do need to be sealed

Test your clear coats. Do your homework. Very few will remain perfectly clear without yellowing.

In my humble opinion, yellowing is a factor of at least four combined elements:
--Quality/properties of the clear coat
--Amount of clear used
--Lighting the model is subjected to
--Time

I virtually ruined my FM Falcon with heavy-handed use of Testor's Clear Flat while working under 1,500 watts of halogen lighting. A perfect storm of problems. Any one element (Testors, lighting, heavy use) may not have been so bad without combining with the others.

So go light with a high quality clear, without too aggressive lighting...

The chalks should seal well enough with one or two dustings of clear paint. Certainly will with one heavy "wet" coat, and with a decent paint and moderate lighting in your shop and display area, one wet coat shouldn't yellow much at all. Three or four wet coats (like I did!) will though...

Here is an example of pastel chalk weathering with judicious use of clear coating:

XW002.jpg

XW008_1.jpg

XW027.jpg

Wow thanks PHA, I have some humbrol matt clear coat in a little rattle can, do you think that is ok for the falcon? I'm not sure what the lighting will be yet, probably led's, almost everything is led's now :)

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back