Chewie build - Finished

Sevv

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hey guys

Con1.jpg

Ive been working on and off on Chewie for, oh years :) now but hes finally finished. I do enjoy the process just as much as the finished result and due to my background in digital art I have combined my skill sets. The skull, skin and mouth were 3d modeled based on a likeness sculpt I created of myself in ZBrush. They were then 3D printed and moulded into fiberglass / silicone. NFT hair was individually punched all over combined with a working jaw and snarl, blue contact lenses and a sound system. The entire costume stands 7ft 7/8 tall. I debuted him at Excel Docklands in London over the weekend... superb fun! Hes designed to be classic Chewie but could, hopefully, step out of Ep7.

Chewie2.jpg

Chewie3.jpg

Chewie4.jpg

Chewie5.jpg

Con2.jpg

Con3.jpg

Hope you like it.

Give us some full / frontal shots and detailed pics of the face...I LOVE the pics you posted, seems like a dead on Chewie !!!

markus

- - - Updated - - -

The ewok is looking great as well, whoever did it!

What event was it that you attended?

markus

WOW that would have to be the most spot on Chewie I have seen!!! great work.

Any chance of a step by step build....I would love to have a go at this.

Easily the best Chewie I've ever seen. The face is the hardest part to get just right, but I think you captured the look perfectly.

Easily the best Chewie I've ever seen. The face is the hardest part to get just right, but I think you captured the look perfectly.

Double that!
PLUS Sevv somehow seems to get Chewies body fur/hair spot on. the colors, the "flow" of the fur etc.

NOW WHERE ARE THE BEAUTY SHOTS :lol ???

BTW: Is the guy next to you Jerome B.??? OMG he lost even more weight since the last time I met him.:unsure

Markus

Wow thank you everyone, what a great response!

The Ewok (brilliant!) was one of the UKGarrisons and the event was MCM Comic Con London at the Excel Docklands last weekend. Yes that is Jerome Blake, he was signing just round the corner. Super fun getting a picture with him and his guitar :)

Again thank you for the comments, I have been working on him for years now. As a lot of people have said it really is the face that makes Chewie... Chewie, and I spent a long time researching how the skin looked under the hair, how the skull looked under the skin, really working backwards.

I ZBrushed the skull and skin over a very simple likeness of myself on the computer. Being a computer game artist I can match up shapes a lot quicker than I could in clay... plus I could slightly adjust his features to work with my own proportions without loosing what makes Chewie... Chewie.

As for beauty shots, I dont currently have any im afriad. What ive got was taken in quite poor lighting at the event. Ive got a few things to tweak over the next few weeks but ill be trooping him again at NEC Birmingham on Nov 22nd. Lots more pics then!

Its quite embarrassing showing WIP images but I have a few showing how I got too the likeness. You really have to jump in and have faith youve got the basics right and it will all come good in the end lol :)

progress.jpg

Progress pic one. How bad did it look! haha :D It doesnt look like Chewie at all until shot 6, and even then I have tweaked it a lot since then. The main thing I took away from this was how unique each area of the face is. Hair punch a lot more in than you need then take half of it out. Then some more. So much of the face looks badly made almost, thin to the point of seeing the underskin through it. The chin, getting the hair to hug down and around before you curl, the curls! so important, the short hair hugging the cheek bones before fanning out in quite a drastic way, the tall dome on top of the head, punching in the eye brows almost sells the character by themselves.

progress2.jpg

Progress pic two, Getting there but still lots to change, I was adamant to the point of insanity that the silhouette had to be right. Chewie is thin, really thin, and lanky! Yes hes 7ft 8 or so but he needs to look proportionally that tall without any nearby reference to inform you of that. The most important area for this is the legs, I didnt want tree trunk massive thick legs. I wanted thin, with that obvious L shaped foot sticking out. Even in these pictures the feet still need to be painted amoungst other things. I spent ages tweaking the feet, making them as thin and small as possible. No padding what so ever on the suit... in fact I spent ages reducing it down and making it more figure hugging.

As Markus pointed out, its not just the face... the body flow, curls, it all needs to be right for the character to be correct. The fur was bought from NFT in the states, expensive but well worth it in my opinion. I spent a while looking at which direction it should all go whilst sewing the suit. Ive included lots of extras like a separate neck piece thats trimmed and curled (like the chin) to give the chin curls more of a blend into the body matting.

One last picture, again sorry for the lighting. Next troop ill take some outdoor pics.

Con4.jpg

Really glad you like it guys. Means a lot. Cant wait to troop again.

THAT ...IS...CHEWBACCA, period!

Thank you so much for sharing this pics with us :)
One last question...how did you manage to keep the legs so thin? Don´t you have any stilts incorporated into the legs? most of the costumes I´ve seen who had this feature, "suffered" from the "giant-leg-syndrom", as I use to call this. It works with a Tarfull and some of the PT Wookies, but not with Chewie.

So, how did you manage to keep his legs "perfectly proportioned"?

Markus

Are you sure you didn't break into the Lucasfilm archives and steal the original??? The colors of the fur are blended so well and the curls really complete the look. Are you really that tall? Because the legs are another huge problem area I've seen with other Chewbacca costumes and if you're wearing stilts of some kind, you would never know it! I'm blown away by this build. Peter Mayhew would be so proud!

I agree. Not to knock anyone else who has tackled this insanely difficult project as every one I have seen is fantastic and deserving of respect, but this is hands down the BEST Chewie i have ever seen!
I'm also curious how you handled the height issue. How tall are you and do you use stilts? Can't wait to see a video of the jaw, snarl, and sounds.
This is just simply amazing.

Last edited:
I agree as well, that anyone doing a wookie costume/ chewbacca takes on an enormous challenge and the engineering and patience it takes to complete deserves a lot of respect! Gotta love the wookies!

Wow... what can I say to that. As for breaking into the Lucasfilm archives, I didnt want to say anything but :p... no I cant carry on that joke :) Thank you so much, after working on it for so long its just so amazing to hear people say things like that. Especially comments like it could be film used, and here on the RPF.

I am 6ft 5 bare foot, so the costume adds 1ft 3 or so inchs to my height. I am wearing some sort of stilt but they are of my own invention / concoction... that was the idea, for them to be invisible :D

Ill make a sure I get a good video of the snarl/mouth/sounds next time im in it.

All i can say is congratulations !!! You have made it !!! But wait until mine comes out......he he he he he... ;)

Great job!

Alfredo

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back