Game of Thrones

So glad it felt like things were actually happening, and the fact that we didn't get shafted out of 10 minutes like we seemed to have every episode last season. I definitely did not see that last scene coming.

1st thing that came to mind during the last scene.
image.gif

Let's say, hypothetically, that I didn't get to see English subtitles in the conversations going on in the Dothraki encampment. Could someone summarize what was said?

Dany tried throwing her titles in the Khal's face. He was unimpressed and said he was going to screw her anyway and she would bear him children. She said she was Drogo's widow and he reversed that, saying that she would be protected and no man would touch her. They're taking her to Vaes Dothrak where all Khal's widows go, despite her demands they return her to Mereen instead.

So, am I alone in thinking that the overall tone of the show as well as individual characters shifted significantly since the previous season into this one?

Like what's up with the Dothraki suddenly becoming so vocal... and not just vocal, chatty! ("I like to talk afterwards")

A lot of the tonal shifts were towards really forced humor like that, and I'm thinking that the lack of source material might be coming to bare. There was an over-reliance on cursing for its own sake rather than to serve the story. (As was usually the case before) The whole Jaime and Cersei scene where Jaime is saying "%^& everyone" really came out of the blue in terms of language, and overall there was just a more casual tone to most of the dialogue. There was another scene where it seemed like they substituted some profanity for writing, but I can't recall which offhand. On top of that a lot of the performances felt REALLY shallow. I won't point fingers but there were some characters that I could normally count on to knock it out of the park, who just felt like they were given the sides 5 minutes before being pushed in front of the camera and performing them.

...and I really feel like I'm taking crazy pills because no one else seems to have mentioned it here or in any reviews. haha

Still hopeful for next week since this was really the first time I can recall disliking an episode.

-Nick

Dany tried throwing her titles in the Khal's face. He was unimpressed and said he was going to screw her anyway and she would bear him children. She said she was Drogo's widow and he reversed that, saying that she would be protected and no man would touch her. They're taking her to Vaes Dothrak where all Khal's widows go, despite her demands they return her to Mereen instead.

Thanks!

Even though some of the plot is still from the books - Arya, for example - I love not knowing where things are going. Now I know how the folks feel who didn't read the books...

I definitely did not see that last scene coming.

It had been strongly hinted at. I was wondering when would get to see her "true identity" if you will

What surprised me the most was the Dorne story line. I did not see that coming.

When Trystane pulled out his sword I naively thought he might have gotten away.
I also wondered to myself why they would let him pick who to fight one at a time.
It seemed like the classic overconfident villain mistake. And then the spear through the skull.
It kind of reminded me of that scene in Raiders of the Lost Ark when Indy watches the guy show off, then just pulls out his gun and shoots him

Yeah, Trystane got a well deserved Darwin Award for that bit of stupidity. Oh sure, turn your back to the assassin chick with the spear. No WAY that won't end badly...

Idiot.

They let him pick since they are both kick ass killers. They likely played a Rock Paper Scissors to see who would kill him. Yet, it kept coming up a draw. So let him choose his own hand of death. Then the other girl killed him for ****s n giggles. That's why the other girl told her she is basically a dick for doing that.

the black guy body guard didn't do crap in 2 seasons. They talked him up behind the scenes about how bad ass he was with his fancy spear. Died in 2 seconds. Sucks to be you Holmes.

...and I really feel like I'm taking crazy pills because no one else seems to have mentioned it here or in any reviews. haha

-Nick

Jaime's profanity so came out of nowhere that I actually thought "Do they say ***** on this show?"

I know they do... but I've never noticed before.

And I am HYPER desensitized to swearing.

Last night felt pretty meh. The big highlight was the last scene, but other than that I didn't feel it was an extremely strong season opener.

So, am I alone in thinking that the overall tone of the show as well as individual characters shifted significantly since the previous season into this one?

Like what's up with the Dothraki suddenly becoming so vocal... and not just vocal, chatty! ("I like to talk afterwards")

A lot of the tonal shifts were towards really forced humor like that, and I'm thinking that the lack of source material might be coming to bare. There was an over-reliance on cursing for its own sake rather than to serve the story. (As was usually the case before) The whole Jaime and Cersei scene where Jaime is saying "%^& everyone" really came out of the blue in terms of language, and overall there was just a more casual tone to most of the dialogue. There was another scene where it seemed like they substituted some profanity for writing, but I can't recall which offhand. On top of that a lot of the performances felt REALLY shallow. I won't point fingers but there were some characters that I could normally count on to knock it out of the park, who just felt like they were given the sides 5 minutes before being pushed in front of the camera and performing them.

Still hopeful for next week since this was really the first time I can recall disliking an episode.

-Nick

Jaime's profanity so came out of nowhere that I actually thought "Do they say ***** on this show?"

I know they do... but I've never noticed before.

And I am HYPER desensitized to swearing.

I thought his line was dumb and kind of ruined the moment. Overall it was a nicely acted scene, but then that line just totally took me out of it
TheNickFox I can see where your coming from, but apart from the line in the Jamie/Cersei scene I didn't really notice it too much.

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought the opening show was excellent. It seemed far too brief though, but there are so many story archs to cover and it was great that they touched on most of them except Bran, which will be next week.

Milesandre's real age really took me by surprize. She's the classic witch, using glamour to disguise her true self. Seeing her take off her necklace was like her losing faith in herself and her abilities and she seems to have just given up, seeing as she was so wrong about Stannis and her visions of John.

I just hope she musters up enough incentive to put the necklace back on and regain her strength to do something important!

I just loved that Brienne has finally come full circle and accomplished her mission to help the Starks and Sansa

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back