Pee-Wee's Big Adventure Bike

Look at the Nexus 3 speed hubs. They have a coaster brake and are easy to set up.
Maybe you can hook up the nexus 3 using the 3 speed shift. That would be cool. I used red shifter tubing. I think it may be thicker though.
I had the same issue with my stripes i may have used clear tape under the fenders to hold them. I would not use a caliper in the rear as it may interfere with the bags

Maybe you can hook up the nexus 3 using the 3 speed shift. That would be cool. I used red shifter tubing. I think it may be thicker though.
I had the same issue with my stripes i may have used clear tape under the fenders to hold them. I would not use a caliper in the rear as it may interfere with the bags

Yeah, after looking into it I realize i could go with the coaster brake and have a caliper brake on the front, with the springer fork slightly hiding/distracting from it.
20150321_190120.jpg
I got the crank bearings assembled and the chain on, and finally took this beauty out for a ride, and saw how she performs.
The springer fork makes things a lot better than a normal fork, I ended of veering a bit because the front wheel needs to be trued, and I was honestly surprised once i ended up running over a tree root and feeling nothing more than a slight bump. Since this was my first time riding with a coaster brake, I had some light difficulty getting used to it, and decided I probably will take a brake from one bike i have down in the basement and put it in the front.

Last edited:
I really think a caliper brake would be unnecessary. My bike stops just fine with the coaster, and yours is probably a lot lighter with that cantilever frame.

I really think a caliper brake would be unnecessary. My bike stops just fine with the coaster, and yours is probably a lot lighter with that cantilever frame.
Makes sense. I guess the lever is also at a rather inconvenient spot for braking, but maybe it might be good for stopping fast. I think this partially has to do with my need to make pretty much everything on this bike functional.

Pee-wee holiday.jpg

The new Pee-wee movie began filming this past week, no sign of his bike though, I'm not expecting any Big Adventure "magic" on this one because Tim Burton and Phil Hartman aren't around, but Paul Rust co-wrote it with Paul Reubens so I'm trying to stay optimistic, Reubens said it was a road trip film like Big Adventure, only based on Pee-wee's Playhouse", so I don't know, hopefully he got Larry Fishburne to play Cowboy Curtis, that would be too funny!, and I wonder if the chick following him is in the movie too?, maybe it'll be worth watching after all, bike or no bike.

Last edited:
Even as a kid the Playhouse stuff just seemed weird and creepy to me. I dig the bike, and the first movie, and that's about it. Although, I do remember having a crush on the brunette in Big Top, as a kid. Lol.

I was talking with my dad about the bags, and he brought up the alternative method to casting them in a mold, which was to make a wood form and make a fiberglass shell around it, then pull out the form and sand the shell. Does anybody know about this technique?

That is not the best way to go about it. At the very least use the wooden form as a plug for vacuum forming. If you want to do fiberglass the right way you need a mold of your form. The most affordable type of mold is a fiberglass mold using a tooling gelcoat. I wouldnt mess around with silicone molds unless you want to make a whole bunch. You dont wanna know how much money I spent on silicone.When it's all said and done, you're gonna be looking at a few hundred dollars investment just for the fiberglass shells you're trying to make, plus the many many hours involved. Then again, there's nothing quite like pointing at something and saying "I made that."

re: The new movie. For a long time Paul said that it would involve a lot of the Playhouse characters (where you'd see Chairy walking around outside). But in a more recent interview, it sounded like he said there would be no Playhouse at all in the film. I don't know if he meant that it would all take place outside of it, or if it would be more of a Pee-wee solo film, like his other movies.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back