Paramount confirms TWO Star Trek films in the works.

A Variety writer, or maybe it’s Paramount’s marketing manure machine, is trumpeting that one of the new films will be “the first time for a female director in the ST franchise” (headline) when what they mean is in the movie franchise (clarified down in the article copy).

Because last time I checked, Roxann Dawson had directed over a dozen episodes, pretty darn good ones, too.

Just more pandering to try and build up an audience.

So sad to see what this once great franchise has turned into by people who don’t have a clue what to do with it

A Variety writer, or maybe it’s Paramount’s marketing manure machine, is trumpeting that one of the new films will be “the first time for a female director in the ST franchise” (headline) when what they mean is in the movie franchise (clarified down in the article copy).

Because last time I checked, Roxann Dawson had directed over a dozen episodes, pretty darn good ones, too.

Was wondering. When do the new Star Trek movies actually begin to Star Trek?

Having just recently finished watching TOS, I can understand why people speak so highly about it, despite all it's flaws. It has a certain charm to it.

:lol. Clearly You’ve never been to a Trek Convention :lol

I have, many, many, many times. I used to have a friend who was a huge Trek fan, back in the days when TOS was all there was. We hit every Trek con we could. Would up meeting just about all of the original cast (in the days when meeting didn't mean paying to stand in line for an autograph). Remember going out to lunch with DeForest Kelley one day, just us and him. It was a different world back then.

Another old school Trekker here, my first Con was 1975 and the last was 1997, worked at Cons all over the states and Canada literally hundreds of them.

The 70’s were a magic time for them that will never happen again, the fan ones were always the best

I have, many, many, many times. I used to have a friend who was a huge Trek fan, back in the days when TOS was all there was. We hit every Trek con we could. Would up meeting just about all of the original cast (in the days when meeting didn't mean paying to stand in line for an autograph). Remember going out to lunch with DeForest Kelley one day, just us and him. It was a different world back then.

I’ve mused on what has changed. I guess you could say “fandom” has become big business. No longer the ignored niche of the audience, rolling their flyers and ‘zines off mimeograph machines or the local PiP store, renting a college exhibition hall and auditorium for a little get together. The studios woke up and realized that this was a huge marketing and merchandising opportunity, and coopted it. Fans have too, getting actors to sign their memorability or prop replicas for resale value, producing professional grade blogs and video channels, being a fan can be a professional undertaking and a going concern itself. :p

It used to be a labor of love. A devotion that had its own intangible rewards.

Another old school Trekker here, my first Con was 1975 and the last was 1997, worked at Cons all over the states and Canada literally hundreds of them.

The 70’s were a magic time for them that will never happen again, the fan ones were always the best

It was a time when, if celebrities showed up to conventions, they just sat at tables like everyone else, no security detail, and talked to people. And they weren't afraid of their fans, I can't tell you how many celebrities used to come up to my hotel room to watch movies or play games or whatever. You'd have room parties and pretty much anyone could show up. This probably went on through maybe the late 80s or early 90s, before corporate cons became the norm and liability became a dirty word. Now everyone is terrified that something might happen. They don't want it to be their fault. Celebrities have become "special" instead of just someone that you like the work they do. The world really sucks today.

You preaching to the choir on that working so many cons I became good friends with Jimmy, Walter, and George, and Nichelle, back then they were just “Actors” and not celebs.

Jimmy ALWAYS had time for any and everybody not one soul was turned away, even if they were stranger than some if you catch my drift.

The room parties at the Commodore back in the 70’s were legend, like you said so many good times were had by all

As with anything when big money gets involved was when everything changed. The corporate cons wanted full control and put the “Stars” on a pedestal which they would try and control.access to.

Creation Cons were when everything stopped being fun, billed as “one day events” rather than cons.

They even tried to tell the actors which cons they could and could not do which was settled pretty quickly by the actors telling them to eff off in no uncertain terms.

Hucksters rooms, film rooms panels that would last all night long soon became a thing of the past for the most part

I’m glad I was around before everything went main stream and sold out, sad what it has become now

It was a time when, if celebrities showed up to conventions, they just sat at tables like everyone else, no security detail, and talked to people. And they weren't afraid of their fans, I can't tell you how many celebrities used to come up to my hotel room to watch movies or play games or whatever. You'd have room parties and pretty much anyone could show up. This probably went on through maybe the late 80s or early 90s, before corporate cons became the norm and liability became a dirty word. Now everyone is terrified that something might happen. They don't want it to be their fault. Celebrities have become "special" instead of just someone that you like the work they do. The world really sucks today.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back