Help me finish my Han Solo ANH Hero blaster! - Hensoldt claws are off!

What method of heat did you use to remove those soldered clamps? And is the above mentioned elaborate method the only option to get rid of those clamps?

Chaïm

Congrats getting the clamps off.

Hopefully you can clean the solder off and the bluing is still intact.

This is going to be a great looking blaster.

What method of heat did you use to remove those soldered clamps? And is the above mentioned elaborate method the only option to get rid of those clamps?

Chaïm

Heat... a small torch heats up the solder and you basically knock it off with a hammer. You gotta take the internals out because the heat will warp the cross hairs and potentially break the glass inside.

As far as I know, this is the only way. I used a small gas torch, the ones used for cooking (mmmh, crème brûlée. :D ). I didn't have to knock the claws off with a hammer, I used oven mitts and pulled them right off the scope, although I had to use quite a bit of force.

Not sure if you could remove the solder chemically, but it would probably strip the bluing as well. Also, even then, it would probably be necessary to remove the innards of the scope.

Hopefully you can clean the solder off and the bluing is still intact.

Yeah, I hope so too. We'll see. :thumbsup

Cheers!
Roman

I just looked at my poorly DL-44 and you may not need to remove the back solder.
It might be covered by the new mounting clamp.

If so, then you only have to clean up the front.

Just reheat the soldered spots and scrap the soft solder away with a wooden/ metal tool...
You will probably find some marks/ recesses around the soldered areas, which will remain visible even after reblueing.

Once you removed most of or all solder, sand it to get rid off every remaining bit of solder...it won´t blue!
Give the scope body some passes with steelwool and degrease it before applying any blueing compound...I recommend to sand the whole body, so the reblued areas "blend" with the rest of the scope.

Have used cold-blueing AND heat-blueing in the past, depending on what chemicals I had on hand at the time. BOTH methods work good on the Hensoldt steel body.

Just reheat the soldered spots and scrap the soft solder away with a wooden/ metal tool...
You will probably find some marks/ recesses around the soldered areas, which will remain visible even after reblueing.

I'll see what the results are with the solder wick, otherwise I'll try this.

Alright, I just ordered a bunch of parts. A Field Marshall ANH scope mount as well one of his bull barrels he had lying around. I'm also waiting to hear back from Todd's costumes regarding greeblies, and I also asked whether they could sell me some of the small screws for their replica Hensoldt scope that my scope is missing. Mine lacks all of the tiny screws, even the ones below the front and rear lens.

You won't want to use an aluminum or printed bull barrel with all those other nice parts.

Hm, not sure about that. I just saw that the Field Marshall bull barrel I ordered is aluminum and not steel. However, since this is not a live fire Mauser and the MGC is Zamak anyways, I'm not sure if a steel bull barrel is that much of an improvement... heck, I believe even the Field Marshall scope mount is not all steel, only the cradle and clamp rings I believe. Or did you suggest a steel bull barrel because it could be blued? Hmm...

Cheers!
Roman

you'll still have to sand even with wicking it. There will be a very thin layer still

Well, it helped some...
cmYzem3.jpg

But it seems I'll have to sand the rest off. :cry
Does that mean I'll have to get all the bluing off? Or can I just blue the sanded areas? I'm guessing the bluing won't match that way, right?

Cheers!
Roman

I just sanded the claw areas using grits up to 2000, then steel wool and was able to blend the reblued areas quite well. I used Super Blue cold. Worked a treat and I was surprised how good it came out.

Super Blue cold.

Hm, that's the Birchwood one, right? I can't seem to get that anywhere around here. Will have to inform myself why that is, there might be shipping restrictions...

BTW, look what I found on my doorstep today! The Field Marshall scope mount and bull barrel!
wSz1KiM.jpg

It's beautiful! It does have some imperfections though (next to both screws):
tguKRQt.jpg

Also, the dovetail cut seems crooked, so the front of the cradle points away from the gun (i.e. there is unnecessary space between the cradle and the mounting bar towards the front of the dovetail). Because of this, the cradle is wobbly..:
0K86MwL.jpg

Will have to fix that somehow. Time to get out my metal file collection...

Cheers!
Roman

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back